Author Topic: William Evans, Elizabeth Davies and their parents - any help?  (Read 18241 times)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Evans, Elizabeth Davies and their parents - any help?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 May 10 01:19 BST (UK) »
David

Found this on Gathering the Jewels site - picture of William Evans house, Maes yr Haf, Bryngwyn, Patagonia around 1880

http://www.gtj.org.uk/en/large/item/44165/

Is this your William Evans?  ;D
Nice picture whether it is or not!

Best Wishes
Morgan

Offline smeatons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 May 10 23:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been travelling (still am) and so it's more difficult to get onto the internet.

Osprey - many thanks for the possibles you have flagged up. I'll certainly progress those as they look very promising.

Morgan - re the photo of William Evans - Yes, that's my man. The National Library of Wales has a number of letters from him too. I've actually got a more detailed scan of that photo sent to me by the library.

Thanks for the BBC link tooo... I've done a bit more research on this and alas the mill has been closed to the public for about 5 years or so now, but I've sent an email to the Welsh Mills Society who recently visited the mill and hopefully they will be able to put me in touch with the current owners.

I have also received some very good news from Patagonia. I'm visiting there later in the year and so got in contact with the museum in Gaiman. Turns out that they have a number of photographs of my ancestors at the museum and also know a number of living descendants of William Evans - it's going to be an interesting visit!

Thanks again to everyone for their help and interest.

regards,
David
Cain, Cragg, Crump, Davies, Dougherty, Evans, Griffiths, Sweetland

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 June 10 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hello David

Just found this pics of the Mill leat and waterwheel at Felin Newydd  :)
 :)
http://www.westwales.co.uk/graphics/felin_leat.jpg

http://www.westwales.co.uk/graphics/felin_wheel.jpg

Please let me know how you get on with your search
Best Wishes
Morgan

Offline smeatons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 22:47 BST (UK) »
Well, I think I'm making some good progress with all this!

The Welsh Mill Society has passed my email on to the current owners of the mill, so hopefully that will bring some good news in the coming weeks.
And although the mill is now closed to the public, I did find the original website about the mill here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20031008084645/www.themill.biz/wm-history.htm

which gives some details of interest.

My conversations with the museum in Patagonia are going well too... seems like they would like to interview me on the radio when I go, which should be interesting! Thankfully they plan to ask me questions in English and will then translate my answers for the audience.

Many thanks for the photo links, I looked at Geograph for photos and found this:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/388953

I use this site and Google StreetView quite a lot to see what places look like.

In my nosiness I also spotted that the mill sold for £445,000 in 2004 :-)
http://www.houseprices.co.uk/e.php?q=Llanwrda%2C+Carmarthenshire%2C++SA19&n=10&f=pd

Doesn't help with the family history, but it's interesting to know never-the-less.

regards,
David

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 22:49 BST (UK) »
That's great David
Perhaps you should do a crash course in Welsh before you go  ;D

Offline smeatons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 23:03 BST (UK) »
lol

I think I have a better chance with Spanish!

regards,
David

Offline jamez100

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
post removed

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bessie Williams 1894-1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 September 10 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Smeatons, I have a John and Mary Davies in my tree, who were my ggg grandparents.
They lived in and milled at Felin Newydd in 1861, but I don't know if they are related in any way to your Davies, so many of them around, such common names... Both were born in the area, Mary's maiden name was Isaac.
My parents have visited the mill and met the owners at the time - I have some photos that may be the same as the ones on the website link, but I can't seem to open them on the link to compare. I'm attaching one of the main building, I also have an interior photo if you haven't seen it.
My John moved around a lot and milled at least four different mills in the area - I have never been able to identify his parents for the usual reason - every second man was named John Davies!
Caroline.
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bessie Williams 1894-1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 September 10 10:48 BST (UK) »
And here's an extract about the mill from another source

WATERMlLLS OF SOUTH WALES
Interim Results from a Partly-completed Survey
David H. Jones
GB-22/104; Felin Newydd, Crug-y-Bar National Grid: SN663385 Now working (1983)
This is typical of a very numerous class of mill in this region. It forms the end of a range of buildings which originally consisted of the kiln and the house. It is driven by an external overshot wheel fed by a leat from the Afon Annell.
Two pairs of stones are driven by spurwheel gear, but the upright shaft ends below the first floor. An oatmeal machine stands against one wall, driven by a belt from one stone spindle. A bevel pinion engaging the side of the pitwheel drives a pulley on a layshaft, with a belt to a countershaft set low on the first floor. Belts from this drive two wire machines through angle gears; one ordinary machine clothed as a flour dresser, and the other built as a grain cleaner, with a fan in its base.
An attic floor has been inserted into part of the roof, but it has very little area or headroom. Its only uses could have been storage of a few sacks, and providing easier access to the wire machine hoppers. The sack hoist is in the roof ridge; it is driven by a slack chain from the waterwheel shaft, tightened by lifting the bearing in a wooden slide. A second manual hoist is fitted in the opposite end of the attic, with its chain running over an external pulley above the doorway.
Except for the manual hoist, the incomplete mill at Felin Gwm Isaf (22/109) appears to be identical. Many other mills are broadly similar, although this type of grain cleaner has not been found elsewhere.

Mill ID Number 6355
Mill Name :   Felin Newydd
Type :   
Dates :   
New Address :   Crug-y-bar
Original Address :   

County :   CARMARTHENSHIRE
Post Code :   
Grid Ref :   SN 663 385. OS Sheet 146
Description :   About 6½ miles N of Llanwrda on A482 Llanwrda to Lampeter road.
A grade II listed late 18th century working corn mill with a wood and iron overshot wheel and two pairs of millstones.
Should be fully operational shortly.
Tearooms, craft shop, formal gardens & pond.
Gold mines 1½ miles. Good local pub 200 yds.
Opening times :   April to October, daily except Mondays, 10.00 – 17.30. Parties at other times by arrangement from 2001.
Web Site :   

Contact Name :   *
Contact Email :   

Contact Tel :   *
Last modified :   By Jim Woodward-Nutt - 24/04/2001 12:12:00

Moderator Comment: I believe that the Mill is no longer open to the public
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk