Author Topic: Military Medal recipients  (Read 60005 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Military Medal recipients
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 12 June 10 15:33 BST (UK) »
Mark,

Thanks for that bit of advice on gallantry. I might investigate the war diaries to see if anything was mentioned. Is that likely?

Justin

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 12 June 10 17:53 BST (UK) »
Justin,

You may be lucky.  Some war diaries are excellent and do contain information on individuals who received awards.

I am interested in the RE units of the 55th West Lancashire Division.  The diary for 419 Field Company is very detailed whilst that of the 55th Divisional Signal Company has little information on the men themselves.  For example it records " four men awarded the Military Medal."  It fails to elaborate!

Local newspapers can also be an excellent source of info.  It is always worth having a look in all the papers that were published in a particular area as they often contain articles on local men who were wounded, killed or decoratred.
Avatar shows  3002 Clr Sgt Charles Brownie, Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 13 June 10 17:41 BST (UK) »
Except in exceptional circumstances war diaries reflect the ethos of the period, and record very little about "Other ranks"
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 14 June 10 11:42 BST (UK) »
This ancestor was an officer (temp. Capt.) and adjutant of 1/8 Middlesex.

Justin

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 14 June 10 12:08 BST (UK) »
Justin,

One of an adjutant's jobs was to write up the war diary; you may be in luck!

If I were you, I'd try and obtain a copy of the Battalion's War Diary.  I have several to 55th Div units which were photographed for me and sent on disc.

PM me if you want to have the name of the chap who does this for me.

Regards

Mark
Avatar shows  3002 Clr Sgt Charles Brownie, Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 14 June 10 14:37 BST (UK) »
Was this the usual practise? I ask because in the case of my father's old regiment (Cambridgeshires WW1) the war diary I have referred to was written by the co Lt.col. MC Clayton.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 07:19 BST (UK) »
As far as I am aware (I may be wrong!), the Adjutant compiled the WD, the CO signed it off.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 16:06 BST (UK) »
Not in the case of the Cambridgeshires, so I wonder whether there was a laid down practise. Seems strange if there was no such practise.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 16:52 BST (UK) »
I would tend to agree with Mark.

The NA research guide indicates that the dairy was kept by 'an appointed junior officer'

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08x9/

The sections of the WD for the 2/Middlesex in my possession (Dec. 1915 to Jun. 1916) were usually stamped at the end of the month 'Orderly Room - 2nd Battalion Middlesex' and signed by the commanding officer - generally the Lt. Col., but occassionally a Major.

I would have thought that a battalion's commanding officer had more pressing things to do than keep the daily diary.

Justin