Author Topic: Stewarts in Logierait churchyard  (Read 4968 times)

Offline Elsleuth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stewarts in Logierait churchyard
« on: Wednesday 26 May 10 03:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for a Robert Stewart born 1780 in Logierait, Perthshire and his wife Amelia Robertson who was born in 1780 married in 1808. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Kent.

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Stewarts in Logierait churchyard
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 04:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Elslueth - are you where I am in NZ? Only asking!

Can't let your post go unanswered as for simply ever I have been trying to tie up my Logerait Stewarts who came out to Adelaide, Australia on the 'Buckinghamshire' in 1839 (could never find any evidence of what happened to any of them in Adelaide) and then 3 daughters in 1855 arrived in Christchurch, NZ.

They were Elizabeth b. b. Ballentium of Dunfollandy1819 (came to NZ as Macdonald, must have married in Australia) Margaret, my gggm, b.1835 Logerait, Perthshire and Emily  b.c1838 (was 6 months old on the voyage to Adelaide.)
Their father was Donald Stewart, a mason, b. c 1787 Logerait, Blair Athol, Perthshire, son of Robert Stewart and Emily Robertson who married at Blair Athol, Perthshire on 28 -8-1780.

Donald Stewart married Jean/Jessie Dewar 15 March 1818 at Blair Athol.
I have all the NZ data done except for Emily who 'vanished' once they were in NZ and cannot find what happened to her except that her name was carried down the family.

This doesn't actually help you Churchyard query but I wonder if there is a connection to your family.

I haved pored over a large volume of Perthshire Churchyard Burials with the Logerait Burials in, there was definitely a copy in the Melbourne Library and I feel the Auckland Library has a copy too - but there were so many Stewarts, some which sounded out to be 'landed gentry '- which mine definitely were not, I gave up.

Would love to know if there is a connection.
Here's hoping - Faith Green

Offline Elsleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 May 10 14:46 BST (UK) »
Faith This is all new to me.  I've just begun work on the Stewarts.   This little town is so small how many Stewarts could there be?  I work at UCLA in California and have a website called GatheringGardiners where I post family history stuff.  I am very interested in any Stewarts in Logierait but will need some time to digest what you have told me.  In any case here is what I have so far.  It sounds like you have done a lot of good work on your line.  Kent Gardiner

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 May 10 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Please see link below

http://www.npfhg.org/LogieraitBurials.pdf

May be of some use

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Elsleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 May 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
Bruce, Many thanks.  This little village is very important to our family and I'm looking for any and all info on Logierait.  Of course digital is wonderful.  Regards, Kent of California

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 May 10 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Kent - yes there were a lot of Stewarts around Logerait! I'll try and get onto the Melbourne Library's website of the Book Catalogue later today and see if I can get the correct title to that big volume of Perthshire Churchyard Burials. You may be able to access it from UCLA, as so much is on line now.

Faith   New Zealand.

Offline Elsleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 May 10 01:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. A name would be wonderful.  Kent

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 May 10 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Kent, This is the book - found it on my search machine - "Monumental Inscriptions (pre 1855) in North Perthshire". It has 636 pages, authors John Fowler Mitchell and Sheila Mitchell. Logerait is there. Your library genealogy area may have access to it.

It'll be a lottery to find one's family as many were too poor to have a headstone- mine were anyway. I see the Tay Family History Soc. Perthshire has their book of MI's /?Burials at Logerait - I've just spotted it on another site.

It's hard finding the early families - the later censuses are such a help. But it is surprising what turns up!!

Good Luck - Faith

Offline Elsleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 May 10 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the info. Isn't it amazing that someone in New Zealand is helping someone in California on a family history problem in Scotland?  Wow what a world.  I will definitely find the book.  Kent