Author Topic: Joseph Crawford  (Read 9462 times)

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Crawford
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 July 10 13:38 BST (UK) »
There is a useful discussion on the CRAWFORD name in Robert Bell's "The Book of Ulster Surnames".

Also (as I recall) there is some mention in Jonathan Bardon's excellent "History of Ulster" tome.
[? A CRAWFORD was brought across to oversee settlement in Co. Antrim following Kings James' deal with the Earl of Antrim in 1605 ... or was it even earlier (1570s), when Elizabeth I placed garrisons to ensure that the O'NEILLs did not attack their neighbours.  Most probably in 1641 with the Scottish Covenanting army arrived - drawing their main strength from South-West Scotland.]
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline PeterBoo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 April 11 11:35 BST (UK) »
Heather,

Where do you fit in this family.

I'm researching the family of Thomas Rogers Johnston & Matilda Crawford for a friend who descends from this line.

Peter in Sydney

Email (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Hilary Russell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 November 17 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Re Gerald Mavor Bell I am keen to find out more Re the William Roslyn Bell family as we are connected to his brother Francis S Bell.

Offline heatherp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 November 17 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hillary,  Hoping that Gerald Bell the grandson of the couple mentioned below, will see your posting.  We seem to get into trouble here as you have to make 3 postings before we can personal message you.  My great grand Aunt Margaret Crawford married William Rosslyn Bell both deceased. regards Heather
Lilly Larne N I
Lilley Cairncastle NI
Magill Cairncastle NI
Morrow Carnalbanagh NI
Rea Owencloughy NI
Rea Ballymena NI
Strain Ballymena - Larne NI
Wilson Broughshane NI
MCClintock Broughshane NI

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 November 17 01:08 GMT (UK) »
RE Crawfords

I logged in to go back to the link to the online Thoburn family history in Gliby's post about Windyhill Cemetery but stopped on the way to read this post.

The Thoburn history is that of Matthew Thoburn of Mallusk and his wife Jane Lyle Crawford of I think the Raloo area. Also their ancestry. There is bound to be some Crawford family history in there, but as my interest is the Thoburns or more precisely the Barrons, I haven't read it. There is a picture of both Matthew Thoburn and his wife, they married 1822 and went to Ohio. Also information about how they met.

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 November 17 01:48 GMT (UK) »
I have had a look at the Crawford information on the Thoburn link (page 132) and it has John Crawford of Raloo as one of 3 sons from Ayrshire of a Crawford of Jordanhill Scotland. Their father apparently assisted Mary Queen of Scots at some point and got into trouble as a result.

The Thoburn history stated these 3 sons were the first Crawfords in Ireland. John Crawford had a son Robert Crawford of Loughmourne, whose dates were 1629-1701.