Author Topic: Attwells fair folk  (Read 3442 times)

Offline hardiman-burton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Attwells fair folk
« on: Wednesday 26 May 10 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi - I'm trying to trace fairground folk called Atwell - my mother grew up in moreton in marsh glostershire and remembers them coming to town when she was a girl in the 1940's and was allowed free rides as they were relatives - she thinks they may have been married to one of her father's sisters - he was called herbert victor hardiman and was the youngest of seven

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Attwells fair folk
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 May 10 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to the list.

Have you tried getting in touch with the National Fairground Archive (www.nfa.dept.shef.ac.uk) to see if they have any references to the Atwell family?

Also, in the 1911 census for Herbert's family, it looks like he has a younger sister – Dorothy Mable aged 8 months - rather than being the youngest of the 7 children.

Best wishes
Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline Barbara1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 June 10 20:40 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling that a Fairground Family called Atwell are living just outside Shilton, Oxdfordshire. My neighbour will know for sure I will ask her tomorrow.

Regards

Barbara

Offline hardiman-burton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 June 10 16:53 BST (UK) »
thanks Barbara - I would like to make contact with the Attwells if possible to see if they are relatives but live in Yorkshire - though did live near Shilton as a child. If your neighbour visits the Attwells would she find out how I can contact them if they are interested.

Offline Barbara1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 June 10 17:21 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I could go and see them.  If you can send me details, names and dates and locations, and relationships it would be helpful.  If it looks promising I will see if it's ok for you to contact them or vice versa.

There cannot be that many Atwells connected with fair grounds, so I would imagine they would be able to help.

Where did you live near Shilton ? I live in Brize Norton.

Regards

Barbara

Offline hardiman-burton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 June 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

my mother was born and brought up in moreton in marsh until she married my father who was in the RAF - incidentially I lived at RAF Brize Norton in the 1970,s. My mother was Ethel Hardiman, older sister Audrey and younger brother Roy. They remember the fair coming to moreton in 1930/40's and were given free rides as they were told it was their uncle - they think ? Atwell had married one of their father's sisters - their father was Herbert Victor Hardiman (who was a jack of all trades, small holder one time fire fighter etc) born 1904 - 1975. Herbert had siblings Ernest John, Alice, Minnie,Ethel, Edith and possibly Mabel - his parents were Richard Hardiman (1858 - 1928) and Emma Gardiner. I have managed to find interesting facts about the family before Richard and would be happy to share what I know and maybe if the Attwells are relatives they may know family history which they can share.

Offline Barbara1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Attwells fair folk (Hatwell)
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 June 10 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have had a delightful visit to one of The Hatwell Families, who live near Shilton.  I met John Hatwell aged 78 and his sister Ann aged 91. 

John was born in Moreton in the Marsh. His father was George Hatwell and mother was Rose Taylor, who died aged 92.

Rose had a sister  Ada -        who lived in Dunstable
                             Nell  -             "             Moreton in the Marsh
                             Ede  -             "             Moreton in the Marsh and married
                                                                  Herbert Victor Hardiman. 

Both John and Ann had met Herbert, but they called him "Dick".

I therefore am confident that these are your Atwells ( Hatwells).
They are happy for you to ring them, the best times are Monday -Weds mornings.

If you e mail me your email address I will send you the number.

Regards   Barbara

Offline hardiman-burton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara - thanks for your help - when I got your reply I wasn't sure there was a connection, but I have spoken to my mother and she says her father was called Dick by some people although he was usually called Herb.  He was married to my grandmother Eleanor Kate Day who was called Nell/Nellie - I don't know of any Rose's in the family but my grand dad did have several sisters. I would like to make contact and if possible write to John and Ann Hatwell and see what they can tell me
My email address is (*)
Thanks

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline David Henry Attewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 March 17 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,Nearly fell off my chair when i found this post my grandfather Emmanuel Attewell travelled with the fairs for many years i don't know if if it's to do with him or a hell of a coincidence. The family used to overwinter in wales where he eventually settled.Could be another part of the family i haven't found yet gypsy families can be hard to follow.
Attewell/Joles/Wood