Author Topic: History of a family in ten objects  (Read 9704 times)

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: History of a family in ten objects
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 May 17 08:46 BST (UK) »
What a topic to re-awaken memories!

From Liverpool England to NSW Australia.

1. A shilling for the gas meter
2. A wrapped up fish and chips supper
3. A red tie or a blue tie for marching in processions around a church in Waterloo
4. 30+ Sunscreen
5. Space
6. School uniforms (we moved a lot in the job)
7. A Rugby League Football
8. Family photos
9. A positive Everton result, if you class that, as a thing
* The internet which gives us much pleasure in communicating with people on such topics

This I offer.

Alan

Donougher, Bawden, Cahill, Mahon(e)y, Williams,
Kirby, Woods, Faherty

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 May 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Difficult, but here goes:
What would represent my family history:

1 A spadeful of sandy but fertile soil, well-manured by the cattle ancestors also farmed (no, I've not actually got one to hand, but I did once take a small sample in a plastic bag)
2 A sheep's fleece and cattle hides (other ancestors, leather workers and saddlers), and a spool of silk (weaving)(No, not got them, either, although there's a very tired old luggage strap I'm told was made by one)
3 A bag of carpenter's tools (ships' carpenters and joiners in my line, and I have a very few old woodworking tools still) , and an old paint kettle and set of (now perished) rubber rollers and signwriter's brushes, shedding hairs gently.(representing later occupations of family members)
4Two boxes, one a "Queen Mary" soldier's box, containing my paternal grandfather's WW1 medals, and the other with (most) of my own father's WW2 medals
5 A "starter tree" ( with what I later found out were lots of errors, but it got me started
6 An old watercolour box, its dried-up pans replaced over the years, dating back to my grandparent, and used by my mother and myself, and a tatty old porfolio with a few fragile studies in it by Mum and grandfather.
7 A cardboard folder of anonymous family photographs that represent constant frustration.
8 Grandmother's old cameo ring - worn often, and some of her other jewellery.
9 (OH's) a cobbler's last, retained after his father had learned that skill in the Army in WW2
10 An envelope of old greetings cards, invitations, and tickets, including granparents' ticket to Canada, and later one back to England

-And the thing I most wish that I still had? The excellent upright German made piano that the above grandmother bought and took with her everywhere. It was donated at last by my parents to a chapel.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 May 17 15:55 BST (UK) »
What a fascinating lot of objects! Here goes with mine!

1. My grandmothers sewing shears- as a child my aim was to just be able to lift them up.

2. My mothers wooden concertina sewing box - made by Italian prisoner of war. Still with all her original sewing items in!

3. My fathers MBE, citation and other WWII paraphanalia.

4. My grandfathers photo

5. My aunts chineese silk stole

6. The school my gt.gt. Grandfather built in 1830's in Switzerland (still standing and being used) sorry I know it's quite a large 'object'

7. My gt.gt. Grandparents photograph.

8. For my gt uncle buried in France (WWI) the poppy I bought from the Tower of London display in his and all those other fallen young men's memory.

9. A bottle of perfume for grandfather as he was a perfumier.

10. My family tree which has led me to so many wonderful discoveries.

This is a small offering - very hard to choose.
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 09:14 BST (UK) »
Well I only knew 2 out of 4 of my grandparents, so after prolonged contemplation here is my list:

1. A gold bangle brought to me as a present from my maternal great aunt who escaped from Austria to USA.

2. A silver bracelet brought to me as a present from my paternal great uncle who escaped from Germany to Israel.

3. The A35 green company van my father used to drive for his job.

4. The ration book issued to my brother on his birth in 1954

5. A packet of letters written by my mother to my grandfather.

6. A book written by my [mathematician, journalist,] paternal grandfather.

7. A Bakelite knitting wool holder. I believe it belonged to my maternal grandmother.

8. A pinchbeck mourning brooch inherited from my paternal grandmother; I believe it  commemorated her sister who had died young, possibly as a result of diabetes.

9. My maternal grandfather's wedding ring, engraved with the date and his bride's name.

10. A silver pincushion from a chatelaine, presumably belonging to my mother's grandmother.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 17:42 BST (UK) »
Choosing representative items from what I have was an interesting exercise. Here are my ten.
1.   A family tree of one branch of my family, which made me realise how little I knew of the other ones.
2.   A sampler embroidered by my 2xg grandmother in 1841. Her sewing skills carried on down the family, though not to me. Her grand-daughter was also a  skilled embroidress, and made lace as well.
3.   Despite her embroidery skills, for my grandmother her hospital matron’s hat.  Nursing led her to meet and marry my grandfather, pharmacist /surgeon/physician.
4.   For him, his pestle and mortar.  Pharmacy came first, and helped fund his medical studies.
5.   He came from a family of seafaring men. For them, a large top shell, brought back from foreign parts.
6.   My other grandmother baked lovely cakes. From her I have a sturdy, but very worn, wooden spoon.
7.   For my paternal grandfather, who despite having had only primary school education, became a joiner, then a foreman for bridge-building companies, a photo of the Mountain Scenic Ride he helped to construct at the Glasgow Exhibition in 1911.
8.   My Dad’s 1st birthday card from his grandmother.
9.   His Chindits badge. He was an Army Chaplain in WW2 and was proud to have served with them and others. 
10.    My mother’s recipe books which represent almost 80 years of her life, from her training at    Domestic Science College, through wartime service as a NAAFI supervisor, to teacher, and mother.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 27 May 17 11:42 BST (UK) »

3. The A35 green company van my father used to drive for his job. 

I do like Isabel's list, but it prompted me to mention that while still I own [or have owned,] nearly everything on my list, the A35 van was only at my disposal, never actually mine.  ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 May 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
Oh, a difficult choice: grandmother was a hoarder!  I think I'd choose:

1.  The photograph album Nana made for me in 1980, containing all the old family photographs, which started me on my researches;
2. The ambrotype of my 4 x great grandparents (which inspired me to research a long-forgotten local industry);
3. The four remaining pages of a family bible, last entry in 1854 (how I wish the whole thing had survived!)
4. The sweetheart badge great great uncle Tom sent to his mother in October 1914, days before he was killed in action.
5. Grandfather's medals from the Great War
6. Great great uncle George's Blackstone concertina, which he took with him to the Western Front (he was killed in action, and his body never identified, but the concertina was sent home)
7. The tortoiseshell mantilla comb which, according to family legend, bad Uncle Bill sent home to his mother after he'd run away to America.
8. A Victorian inlaid wooden box belonging to my great great grandmother
9. A Victorian wooden needlecase presumed to have belonged to great great grandmother
10. An Irish bog-oak pincushion bought by Nana on her honeymoon in Ireland, and therefore firmly dated to 1924

The last three are still used regularly by me as I volunteer as an embroideress at a local historic property.
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 June 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
   These are my ten objects.

1. Certificate from the local Agricultural Committee given to my gr. gr. grandfather in 1841, along with £4, for bringing up 9 children with but little parochial relief.

2. Great grandfather's naval service papers from 1853 to 1874, parchment originals.

3. His long service and good conduct medal.

4. A framed wool embroidery of a ship, worked by great grandfather.

5. Sampler worked by great grandmother, age 10, in 1855.

6. Collection of carpentry tools belonging to grandfather and gr. grandfather.

7. A yellow rose, brought from my childhood home, which had been with the family since the early    1900s.

8. 2 school writing books belonging to my mother and my great aunt.

9. Her passport and the letters my mother wrote from a trip round India in 1937, with her employers.

10. The paraffin lamp which stood on the living room table through my mother's childhood. (Still used by me in power cuts!)

Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 01:32 BST (UK) »
1. A shovel half in a pile of dirt for the ag-labs
2. A selection of vegetables to highlight my award winning grandparents and Ggrandparents, but to also show that the knowledge of the ag-labs gets passed on
3. A piece of tartan
4. A Cornish pasty
5. A bag of potatos for my Irish ancestors- the impetus behind their emigration
6. Picture of a War Memorial for all those sons who sacrificed a life for their new country
7. Aussie Rules Football , for how the sporting life pervades our lines
8. A piece of pinus radiata
9. A picture of my nannas 70th birthday with all her family and grandchildren and ggrandchildren around her
10. A computer. To show how I have found my family but also how future generations will keep in touch
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072