Author Topic: organ builders  (Read 7592 times)

Offline bryceson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
organ builders
« on: Thursday 27 May 10 11:18 BST (UK) »
I am researching organ-builders and organists before 1837. Interested particularly at the moment in members of the Pyke, England, Russell, Harris and Byfield families in St Pancras/St Andrew Holborn/St George the Martyr area.

Any information extra to what is available in the National Pipe Organ Register online is very welcome

George England d. 1775, John England d. 1791. Births needed.

If anyone can demonstrate a relationship to John Byfield  born Old St Pancras 1793, living in Marlborough c. 1841-1870 as Professor of Music and Drawing master, then Ican show you a direct line back to 1597...

Bryceson

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: organ builders
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 May 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
Holden's 1811 Directory:-

Hugh Russell Organ builder 28 Theobalds Road

G.P.England Organ builder Steven Street Tottenham Court Road.

No other names listed.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 May 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Prerogative Court of Canterbury wills

Will of John Byfield, Organ Builder of Saint George the Martyr, Middlesex 04 September 1756 PROB 11/824

Will of John Byfield, Organ Builder of Constitution Row Grays Inn Lane Road , Middlesex 04 December 1799 PROB 11/1333 

Will of George Pyke, Organ Builder and Clock Maker of Saint Andrew Holborn , Middlesex
Date 30 May 1777
Catalogue reference PROB 11/1031 

Will of George Pyke England, Organ Builder of Saint Pancras , Middlesex
Date 04 March 1815
Catalogue reference PROB 11/1566 

Will of Hugh Russell, Organ Builder of Saint Andrew Holborn , Middlesex
Date 12 November 1825
Catalogue reference PROB 11/1705 

Other organ builders also left PCC wills

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline balham

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 February 11 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Dear Bryceson, The John Byfield that you refer to (Living Marlborough Wilts) was the brother of my 3x gt grandfather James Byfield, a professor of music and organist. There were other siblings. James was born 1793 London Oxford St, married Mary Ann Cooke St Anns Soho 1814, then moved to Reigate Sy. I believe he is descended from the Holborn organ builders. Send message back, I have much more. Regards

Offline BelletTiverton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my family and one of my ancestors is called

Richard Westaway England who is listed in the 1841 census as a professor of music, though I realise this is likely to mean a music tutor.  He was born 8Th February 1794 he died about 1842.

His son William England born on the 18th August 1825 moved to 11 John Street in London When he marries in 1753 he lists his father "Richard Westaway England" profession as organist.

Richard Westaway England had a father called George England who was born in Exeter at St George the martyr in 1766

The birth certificate of this George England gives the name of a father as George , but no mother is mentioned.

If you assume George England the organist was between 20 and 45 in 1760 when he built St Stephen Walbrook , there only 25 George Englands were born between 1715 and 1740.

One of them assuming he was at least 26 when he had a son would be my ancestor George England whose grandson was an organist Richard Westaway England.

Richard Westaway England had a son who lived at 11 John Street less than a quarter of a mile from 31 Theobald Road where John England the partner of George England had premises in 1778

At the very least this is quite a coincidence

Any ideas how is at all possible to confirm what might be a family link to the organ builder?

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
On line tree gives George born 1766 Exeter married Mary Westaway born Crediton Devon 1766
Marriage crediton 25/4/1799

Mary's parents william and Elizabeth née Dale

Jennifer

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
National Biography

George Pike England died 1814 son of George England 1740- 1788

Jennifer

Offline BelletTiverton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenifer

It is very kind of you to get back to me including your  the encycolpedia refererence.

There are a number of references that post date the encyclopedia that state that George pike England was not the Son of George England but instead his brother John England.

http://www.galpinsociety.org/galpinextras/GS_Whitehead&Nex_E_to_I.pdf

That is where 31 Theobalds Road is mentioned and it is stated that John was brother to George the encyclopdia now is not deemed to be correct on George Pike England being the son of George England.

There is another that I will dig up that says a note was found in a George Pike organ that refers to his father John England.   However all that would mean they are not father and son

If you have ancestry you can see that in 1853 Richard Westaway England's son William  was living very near Theobalds Road at John street and his father Richard Westaway England was an organist.  If you look at the marriage bans in 1853 this is listed as the occupation of Williams father Richard Westaway England

As you say Richard Westaways Englands father, George England was born in 1766 in Exeter.

As you say Richard Westaway England's mother was Mary Westaway.

It also says the George England born in 1766 in Exeter had a father called George but I know nothing about him apart from his name George England and that my ancestor ,his grandson, is an organist.  Richard Westaway England

As the opening post mentioned nobody currently knows when George England or John England was born but the dates the organs they built would give some indication

Peter

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
Burial St Andrew Holborn 25/2/1815 George Pyke England aged 47 so birth c.1768

Jennifer