Author Topic: 1861 - Queen Inn/Hotel - High St, Lincoln  (Read 30511 times)

Offline edwardselmore line

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 - Queen Inn/Hotel - High St, Lincoln
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 19 June 11 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hello! I am brand new to this site and thread but have a cousin who has done a lot of research and found this hotel, alerted me to it and here I am writing; hopefully a message will be sent to one of you.

My great, great grandfather (or perhaps it was 3 greats) was William Edwards, the innkeeper. It was either his son Henry or his grandson Henry who had another Henry in the early 1900s in Chile. I am that Henry's granddaughter. My mother's maiden name is Edwards.

I'd be interested in connecting through this site if you're a relative....
Karin
Edwards
Elmore
Bartlett
Davies
Grodin
Meltzer
Goldstein
Wright
Sarin

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 19 June 11 10:22 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather (Alfred Sawyers) and his twin sister were born at the Queen Hotel in 1898.  His father (also Alfred) ran the hotel with his wife Eliza.  I remember my grandmother telling me stories of the maids leaving a downstair window unlatched so my grandfather could sneak back in late at night.  She talked about the huge roasts they cooked on a Sunday and of the 'funny old man' who had the shop opposite ........one James Usher!  I have a silver teapot from The Queen dated if I remember correctly about 1880's.

Of course I wish I had asked more!  I also frequented the Queen in the early seventies.

We had relatives visiting from Canada about 16 years ago when it was a pizza restaurant we got to look round upstairs but sad to say if was very neglected.

Sounds an awful lot like the stories of one of my relatives who ran the Cornhill Hotel in the late 1890's, apparently there were several publicans who would travel the length of the High Street and visit every hostelry en route, only heading back home when they had visited every establishment. It might explain why several in that family died of alcohol related illnesses!!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 19 June 11 23:35 BST (UK) »
Sally, you asked me about the link between what I have and William Edwards. I'm working on that, investigating with other family members. What I do know is that my grandfather, Enrique Edwards was born in 1907 in Chile.
His father Henry was married in 1892 (to Dessy Davies). He was one of 5 sons & 8 daughters. I know a few names of the offspring of those other 13 children.
Those 14 children were the children of Henry Edwards, who married frances hall in Lincoln England.
At this point I don't have a date.

PS My grandparents moved to California in the mid 1950s. I was born in 1973.
Karin
Edwards
Elmore
Bartlett
Davies
Grodin
Meltzer
Goldstein
Wright
Sarin

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 20 June 11 09:05 BST (UK) »
Those 14 children were the children of Henry Edwards, who married frances hall in Lincoln England.
At this point I don't have a date.

Married 19 Feb 1851, Lincoln St Mary le Wigford
Henry EDWARDS (son of William) to Frances HALL (dau of William)

1851 census
320 High St, Lincoln
Henry EDWARDS 26 Druggist (master), Aubourn
Frances 21 Fosdyke
Ann SCOLEY (vis,mar) 22 Farmer's wife, Fosdyke
Ellen NUTT (vis,mar) 24 Farmer's wife, Whaplode
Henry NUTT (vis) 6m Whaplode
Ann BINNS 15 Gen Servant, Yorks Markland

320 High St ... the Black Swan (pub) was 319 and the Queen Hotel was 323 (where the keeper was William EDWARDS aged 31 in 1851)

The IGI names the parents of
William EDWARDS 1819 Waddington
and
Henry EDWARDS 1825 Aubourn

as William EDWARDS and Ann ... William EDWARDS m Ann HARMSTON 1814 at Waddington.

The BlackSwan can be seen here http://tinyurl.com/6y7g4hb  No.320 is the low building to its right.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 20 June 11 16:39 BST (UK) »
This is fantastic, Geoff! Thank you.

What is the IGI, and are you related?

I haven't done much genealogy research these past 10 years, as I was busy raising babies into children.
Edwards
Elmore
Bartlett
Davies
Grodin
Meltzer
Goldstein
Wright
Sarin

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 June 11 16:41 BST (UK) »
The IGI is an index of birth marriage and death events listed by the LDS church which is beneficial to Family historians. Google Family Search to see what is available.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline sallyduk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 03:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Karin

I will try and explain how I connect to the Edwards family...

On researching the 1871 census (Lincoln RG10-3370-96-59) for my GrGr Uncle John Fletcher there was an entry for a daughter called Edith Fletcher aged 7 yrs

But, on the 1881 census for Edith she now appears as Edith Edwards as an Asst for Ann White (John's re-married wife)

John Fletcher died in 1874 and he left a WILL and mentions leaving his apodpted daughter Edith Edwards 19 Guineas.

With this info myself and my 4th cousin (the 2xGr nephew of John Fletcher) were on the hunt to find more about Edith Edwards!

A birth certificate was ordered for Edith and the information on there shows Edith born in 1863 and her parents were William Edwards & Catherine Searby, William was an Inn Keeper and their address was 323 High Street, Lincoln.

William & Catherine were married in 1844. 

William's parents were William Edwards & Ann Harmston (as mentioned by Geoff).

I would still like to find out more info on Edith as she appears on an Immigration list from Boston to Liverpool in 1893 - I wonder who was she visiting?

If you would like any more info please let me know.

Sally
COLE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
CROW - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
FLETCHER - Nottinghamshire - Clarborough, Lincolnshire - Bourne, Bedfordshire - Biggleswade, Yorkshire - Sheffield
LAWRENCE - Yorkshire - Sheffield, Pontefract
MORRIS - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
NEWBORN - Yorkshire - Doncaster, Lincolnshire - Haxey
PATE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
TUPHOLME - Lincolnshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 26 June 11 02:14 BST (UK) »
Greetings from California

One of you kind souls shared (through this chain, I believe) scanned copies of nine different census records that my cousin Julie Edwards shared with me. Such a treasure! We are grateful.

However, I find one bit confusing & I'm hoping that someone, at some point, will have the answer.
Census records for 1841, 1861 & 1871 all show William and Susannah Edwards as being the Innkeepr (& spouse) while there is a record from 1851 showing Susannah as a widow.  However, in the 1861 & 1871 census records, William continues to age & does not appear to be deceased (i.e. age 66 in 1871).

Also, in this chain there has been discussion of William being married to an Ann Harmston.  The names William and Henry seem to have been extremely popular at that time, so I wonder if there were more than one William Edwards, of the same generation.  (I have seen in records that William married to Susannah had a son named William - and he's the one who married Catherine in 1844, no?

Thanks!
Edwards
Elmore
Bartlett
Davies
Grodin
Meltzer
Goldstein
Wright
Sarin

Offline sallyduk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 26 June 11 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Karin

As far as I can see the Susannah who is a widow on the 1851 census is a different one to our Catherine Susannah who marrried William in 1844.

My 1851 census has Catherine & William living at 323 High Street, Lincoln (HO107-2105-224-3)

Catherine died about 1866.

I'm still looking for William in 1871 (what address do you have him at?)  I do have his 1881 census (aged 61 - widow) before he died in 1882.

Sally
COLE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
CROW - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
FLETCHER - Nottinghamshire - Clarborough, Lincolnshire - Bourne, Bedfordshire - Biggleswade, Yorkshire - Sheffield
LAWRENCE - Yorkshire - Sheffield, Pontefract
MORRIS - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
NEWBORN - Yorkshire - Doncaster, Lincolnshire - Haxey
PATE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
TUPHOLME - Lincolnshire