Author Topic: 1861 - Queen Inn/Hotel - High St, Lincoln  (Read 30529 times)

Offline churchlane2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 - Queen Inn/Hotel - High St, Lincoln
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 09:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry I am having to send this to everyone on this link but I received a personal message re a lady living at the Queen in 1904 but have been unable to reply personally (something to do with too few posts?).
My grandfather (A Sawyer) at the time you mention was the landlord, we have a photograph from the archives showing his name above the door during the Royal Show in 1907.  E.S/E Sawyer would be my great grandmother Eliza.  I will ask my brother in law who has done more research if he can shed any light on your relative living at the Queen.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 20:16 BST (UK) »
You can post personal messages when you have made a total of 4 posts.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline churchlane2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 29 March 12 14:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks!

Offline BDaviesVera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 30 March 12 15:58 BST (UK) »
Dear Church Lane
Thank you for your response regarding my relative and E.S Sawyer(Eliza). I am new to this forum and was unaware about the number of postings needed to send a personal message. I am very excited that you hope to be able to help me and look forward to hearing more from you. Kind regards, BDaviesVera

Offline WestCoastBC

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 01:21 BST (UK) »
Offline churchlane2
RootsChat Extra
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
View Profile

« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 17:57 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather (Alfred Sawyers) and his twin sister were born at the Queen Hotel in 1898.  His father (also Alfred) ran the hotel with his wife Eliza.  I remember my grandmother telling me stories of the maids leaving a downstair window unlatched so my grandfather could sneak back in late at night.  She talked about the huge roasts they cooked on a Sunday and of the 'funny old man' who had the shop opposite ........one James Usher!  I have a silver teapot from The Queen dated if I remember correctly about 1880's.

Of course I wish I had asked more!  I also frequented the Queen in the early seventies.

We had relatives visiting from Canada about 16 years ago when it was a pizza restaurant we got to look round upstairs but sad to say if was very neglected.

Churchlane 2  It looks like we are related.  Your Grandfather Alfred Sawyers is my Grandmother (Victoria's) twin brother.  She married and moved to Canada (British Columbia) after WW1.  She only went back to England once which was in 1953 for The Queens coronation.  I visited the Queen Hotel in the late 1970's.  It was interesting to see where my Grandmother was born.  She passed away in July of 1978.

Offline churchlane2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 19 September 14 08:19 BST (UK) »
Dear WestCoastBC

I have tried to send you a personal message but it says your in box is full.  We are indeed related.  My email address is Julie@sunnysidehouse6.freeserve.co.uk
I believe we have a photograph of Great Granddad stood outside the Queen Hotel during the Royal Show in 1907 - happy to send you a copy.
Regards

Julie

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 19 September 14 08:34 BST (UK) »
WestCoastBC

I have tried to send you a personal message but it says your in box is full.

The PM system is not available until a person has made 2 or 3 posts on the board.  If WCBC adds a couple of replies to this thread, it should then work.

:)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 22:20 BST (UK) »
I remember the Queens Hotel myself as I was born and lived in Lincoln til 1977 and indeed had my husbands works Christmas do there in the early 1970s. Came across your post  today when looking at census records for Eva Ann Bilton who is a distant cousin in my Family Tree and she was indeed working for the Edwards family in 1871 as a nursemaid - Eva Ann Bilton
regards
Penny

Offline Libco

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 18:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Alan 7636 for the photo and the information about your great great grandfather. My great great grandfather was William Edwards, the innkeeper!