Author Topic: Location of Grave - McKernon  (Read 4229 times)

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Location of Grave - McKernon
« on: Thursday 27 May 10 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am trying to find out where my great uncle is buried. His name was John McKernan, McKernon, John died on the 29 July 1903 in the district of Dennistoun in the county of Lanark.

I would be very grateful if anyone coould tell me what graveyard John was buried in and if anyone else is buried with him.

Thanks for all your help

Kieran

Offline JohnMac43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Grave - McKernon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, If your ancestor was Catholic, he may be buried in St Peters cemetery also known as Dalbeth. He may also be buried in Riddrie cemetery. These are the nearest to Dennistoun. Unless there was a family lair in another part of the city.

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Do you know of any way of finding out i.e what chapel would cover this graveyard or is it covered by the council?

Thanks for all your help as I am trying to find this grave for my elderly auntie as she would love to know where he was laid to rest.

Thanks

Kieran

Offline JohnMac43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Kieron.
The church archdiocese holds the records for St Peters.
http://www.rcag.org.uk/history_intro.htm

I will have a look in the Mitchell Library first as they have microfilms of burials.
Give me a few days and I will get back to you.
John

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi John
Thank you very much for that my auntie will be really happy to know as if I can find the grave she would like me to go and visit it.

Would the Mitchell library hold this record as I think it might be for the death of John's daughter but I can't look at it on Scotland's people.

8 1973 MCKERNON MARY Not Permissible ALLISON F 70

GRANGEMOUTH/STIRLING 484/00 0025.

I can't find any other children but i have been told that a cousin had someone call from Scotland years ago but of course he never followed anything up.

Thanks for all you help

Kieran

Offline JohnMac43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
ALl the Mitchell Library hold are burial details on microfilm. I would need to find the death using the date you supplied and it should tell me the lair number, section it is in, owner, cost and address of where they died. Nothing else.
They hold microfilms for most of the cemeteries in Glasgow but the only cover up to 1956 for St Peters

John

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Thanks fro your reply.  I thought it was worth asking.  Well not sure if this would be available.  John's Wife Elizabeth married again and two of the children died early

James McGettigan 17/04/1909
Rose McGettigan 25/04/1909 they lived at 228 Dundee Street Grangmouth Sterling again I haven't a clue what graveyard they would be in. 

I hope John has a headstone as my auntie always talked about him and was thrilled when I told her I found him and his family.

Thanks for all your help

Kieran

Offline JohnMac43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Kieran,
I checked up on St Peters / Dalbeth today and found no burial there for up to 7 days after the date of death. I then checked the Eastern Necropolis next to Celtic park Parkhead and nothing there either. The Mitchell don't have any records for Riddrie and they are held by Glasgow City council. They will tell you where the burial is but they charge a heafty £61 to do a lookup even though they will have it all on Computer. There may have been a family burial lair in another part the city. On my next visit to the Mitchell in a weeks time, I will check on on a few other cemeteries.
John

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
Thanks very much for all your help.  It is a pity you were not able to find it today.  I can't believe how much they charge especially when everything is at the touch of a button.  Do you think was he buried at Grangemouth in Sterling.

I am very very grateful for all your help with this.  There is no hurry with getting the information I will just be glad to know where the grave is.

Thanks for all your help

Kieran