Author Topic: 58th Regiment of Foot  (Read 26504 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
58th Regiment of Foot
« on: Friday 28 May 10 00:33 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know much about the 58th Regiment of Foot from 1832 until they ended up in New Zealand for the Maori Wars in 1845? My GGGgrandfather, Jeremiah Carey, joined in 1832 (he was from Nenagh, Ireland) but there is no record of him in the National Archives in the WO97 section. I am trying to find out if he received a Medal or if he even fought in the war (I have a few bits and pieces of where he went (Sydney as a guard on several convict ships and he died in NZ in 1859...was listed as a pensioner). Thanks!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 58th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 May 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
1828-39 58th were stationed in Ceylon
1839-41 England
1841 - Ireland (briefly)
1841-43 England
1843-45 New South Wales
1845-59 New Zealand.

If I remember later I'll look up the NZ medal roll for you.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 May 10 02:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Neil! The list of places is very helpful! The look up would be great if you have the time.

Offline OAKLEIGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 January 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Jeremaih Carey, of Nenagh, a Private in the 58th Regiment was discharged in Auckland on 25 May 1856. In 1879 he married Mary Kinnirons. His will was probated in christchurch, NZ in 1884.  Does this help

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 January 11 21:06 GMT (UK) »
his record IS in WO97

The National Archives reference: WO97 / 1565 / 53

His record is available on the Findmypast website.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 January 11 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much OAKLEIGH and gordonboy! I will check out the will in NZ!  I found the reference to Jeremiah Carey in findmypast which looks very promising. I went and had a look for the record in the National Archives but didn't see it. I am guessing that it is the same thing that is in findmypast. I have to say, the NA site is very hard to search (and I am a librarian who should be used to this!!). I tried using the reference numbers that gordonboy posted and then tried a variety of combinations of Jeremiah's name and the 58th (Carey AND 58th, Jeremiah AND Carey AND 58th). Still nothing. Any suggestions?? Thanks very much again for the valuable information!

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 January 11 02:10 GMT (UK) »
The Friends of the Public Records Office (as was) only indexed WO97 records for men discharged before 1854. So his record will not show up on the NA Catalogue, and you have to use FindMyPast's indexing.

I am sure you have found on the Catalogue the man - same name and regiment - born c1790 and discharged 1822.

If you search the Catalogue for WO97/1565 you get this - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=6&CATID=690506&SearchInit=4&SearchType=6&CATREF=WO97%2F1565

The clue lies in the range - Ada to Hut. It was originally a box of documents, and is now (before being digitised by Findypast) a microfilm in Kew. The last part of the reference is not searchable.

btw...the Note - PLEASE NOTE: Electronic images of these records can be searched online through our website (a live link to this is available in the ScopeContent at series level). - is wrong. As said above only records for men discharged before 1854 were ever searchable online.

Ken

Offline OAKLEIGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 January 11 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Google  ARCHWAY NEW ZEALAND   that is the Government site - choose simple search, then type  in Jeremiah Carey - just scroll down until you find the one you are looking for.  Follow the directions on how to obtain the file. Ask for the complete file, not just the Will.  Good luck.

Offline djm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Looking to tap into your experience.
I am working on a James Quail born about 1766 in Downpatrick. This information originally came from a search in the National Archives website some years ago - but I did not download the document (silly me). He was discharged from the 58th Regiment of Foot in in 1795 after 6 years of service. So two questions

1) Why can I not find his discharge record now - even on Findmy past? Because it is in WO 121/21 which is still with NA
2) Where was the regiment between 1779 and 1795? Now think they were in Guadaloupe as he was wounded at Point Petre.

Hope an expert will be along soon.

Errors corrected and updated 25/5/2011

Dave
Mott/Manary/Quail in Manchester/Salford
Scotland/Duncan in Falkirk/Beath/Kinross