Author Topic: Kingston family - Dalby, Rothley area 15/16th Cent.  (Read 5915 times)

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Kingston family - Dalby, Rothley area 15/16th Cent.
« on: Friday 28 May 10 17:45 BST (UK) »
I, like many others on the net, have an Elene (Eleanor) Kingston in my family b c1493 Painswick, Glos and bur c1547 Inglesham Manor Glos (she was the wife of John Prater.  Her will refers to Sir Anthony Kingston although it does not define her relationship to him.  He in turn is the son of Sir William Kingston who was constable of the tower of London.  Many people have Elene as either the daughter or sister of Sir Anthony but I do not think this is possible.  She may be a sister or cousin of William.  William held lands in Glos, notably Bisley and Moreton Valence (source British History Online).

Very little is available on the internet but I have found mention of the Kingstons in Rothley and Dalby with a specific reference to a Bartholomew Kingston being a close relative of Sir William (Bartholomew has a monument in the church there).  Has anyone come across the Kingston family in this area?  I am trying to approach Elene from a different direction. 

I'm sorry this is all very general but any little snippet is useful.

Thanks
Steph
Stevenson/Piper/Winchester/Wenham/Avery/Muddle/Funnell/Pardon/Virgo - East Sussex
Hutton/Newton/Wilson/Mullender/Little/Wright - Lancs/Cumbria
Brooks/Groves/Martin/Dormer - Oxfordshire
Collins - Bishopsgate/Spitalfields
Taylor/Willis/Wiffin/Lord - Cambs
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Draper/Brewer/Lester/Brown/Cole/Eddolls/Crook/Barrett/Styles - Wiltshire
Seares, Massey, Nevill, Nevell, Stannett, Dancer, Hammerton, Wilcox - Bucks
Currier - Berks
Prater/Clargo/Paice/Challis/Baughurst - Hants

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kingston family - Dalby, Rothley area 15/16th Cent.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 May 10 19:44 BST (UK) »
this quote from the Leics villlages site:

www.leicestershirevillages.com

put Kingston family in search site /leics....

Rothley Parish church of St Mary & St John
9. The Kingston Monument on the south wall is an alabaster tablet, part of a box-tomb, featuring the arms of George Kingston and his wife Mary (Skeffington) 1549, supported by mermaids combing their hair. The Kingston family was prominent in Rothley in the 15th and 16th centuries

also the Rotherly heritage wall hanging:
In 1534 Rothley landowner WILLIAM KINGSTON was given the SEAL OF OFFICE as Constable of the TOWER OF LONDON during which period Henry VIII's wife ANNE BOLEYN was beheaded. While at Leicester Abbey CARDINAL WOLSEY fell mortally ill and died in William Kingston's arms. After the Manor of Rothley was confiscated by the King at the Reformation it was eventually purchased by THOMAS BABINGTON in 1565, son of Humphrey, last of the local Hospitaller Knights.

William kingston is pictured on the wall hanging as:
William Kingston-navy blue undergarment in silk, dark red satin sleeves and under blouse coat dark rich silk velvet, edged in off-white fur. Stockings navy tights and shoes black leather.

Iwill try to attach picture but you can view at website above.

Diddy  ;D
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 May 10 19:57 BST (UK) »
also a will from Seagrave index online (from Leics villages site):

1701  Elizabeth Holden.  proven  ref 1701/49-40  Hody (?)
will of 1700: father in law and executor William Kingston; £5 to Thomas Davye of Scraptoft. inventory of goods £4.

will can be viewed at Leics record office.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 May 10 20:03 BST (UK) »
ah, just found your posts on the Rothely history site so maybe you had all that already!!

never mind, interesting anyway.

Diddy  ;D

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 May 10 21:16 BST (UK) »
Yes, that was me but thanks for taking the time anyway. I occasionally revisit brick walls - you never know your luck!

Steph
Stevenson/Piper/Winchester/Wenham/Avery/Muddle/Funnell/Pardon/Virgo - East Sussex
Hutton/Newton/Wilson/Mullender/Little/Wright - Lancs/Cumbria
Brooks/Groves/Martin/Dormer - Oxfordshire
Collins - Bishopsgate/Spitalfields
Taylor/Willis/Wiffin/Lord - Cambs
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Draper/Brewer/Lester/Brown/Cole/Eddolls/Crook/Barrett/Styles - Wiltshire
Seares, Massey, Nevill, Nevell, Stannett, Dancer, Hammerton, Wilcox - Bucks
Currier - Berks
Prater/Clargo/Paice/Challis/Baughurst - Hants

Offline thomasthomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Steph

I've been working on Elene ("Kingston") for a very long time. Would you like to exchange information? I have a couple of theories.

Offline thomasthomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 March 15 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Elene was not the daughter of Sir William Kingston. William had one daughter, Bridget, married to Sir George Baynham. It's possible that he had another daughter Margaret, but his only other child was Sir Anthony.

Offline thomasthomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 March 15 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Elene can not possibly be the daughter of Sir Anthony Kingston, as, I agree, many insist. Anthony was born around 1511, more likely 1515, while Elene was born ca. 1491-1493.