Author Topic: Murphy - Berry Family Wexford Town  (Read 41114 times)

Offline debi1958

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murphy - Berry Family Wexford Town
« on: Saturday 29 May 10 11:04 BST (UK) »
First time user - so hope I am doing this right.  Looking for any info on Murphy / Berry connection. Thomas (GG) had son Michael 1908 (siblings John, Kitty (Katherine?) +  .Michael married Kathleen Berry (b 1915-86) her father was Patrick and siblings Molly (Mary?) John, Briody (?) Her mother then married someone Smith - so assume no such thing as RC divorce back then that Patrick died sometime after 1915. Half siblings Michael, Madge (? Margaret) . Michael & kathleen lived in Gulbar Rd Wexford Town and children went to St bridgets national school.  Any advice as to info on Patrick Berry & Thomas Murphy would be appreciated

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy - Berry Family Wexford Twon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 May 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Could this be the Murphy family in 1911 census?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Wexford_No__2_Urban/Fishers_Row/697351/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline debi1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 May 10 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks - alot seems to match especially siblings if kitty short for cathern and michaels 1st born was named mary (after mother?) but as census took place in April and michael would have only been 2 at that time - i am not sure. of course the absolute accuracy could never be confirmed on census forms.

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline genealogymaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 18:22 BST (UK) »
Is this the Berry family?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Wexford_Urban_No_1/Keyser_s_Lane/696407/
Dara.

This family I am interested in.
I think this Ellen was a Sheehan
In regards to Patrick Berry disapearing after 1915, if you remember there was a world war occuring at that time and there is a Patrick Berry listed in " The Wexford War Dead " by Tom Burnell and Margaret Gilbert. Died of war wounds 8th dec 1917, leaves behind a wife and four children.  His brother Richard was killed 4 months ago 20 Aug 1917 age 23, son of John and Mary Berry, husband of Ellen who remarried  and became a Donohoe.
banned / alias

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 June 10 22:22 BST (UK) »

BERRY, PATRICK. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment.
Unit; 1st Bn. Date of Death: 08-December-1917. Service No: 7638. Born in Bride Street, Wexford. Enlisted in Wexford. Died of Wounds in Palestine. From an article in the People, 1917; News has reached Wexford during the week that Private Patrick Berry, Back Street, Wexford. Who was serving in the Royal Irish Regiment has been killed in action.
 He had been at the front for the past three years. He served in the Boer War, and in 1915, he volunteered again, and went through several big engagements. He leaves a wife and four children to mourn his loss. Another brother, Private Richard Berry, was killed four months ago. See Richard below. Grave or Memorial Reference: Grave or Memorial Reference: G. 21. Cemetery: Ramleh War Cemetery in Israel.

BERRY, RICHARD. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Unit; 1st Bn. Date of Death: 20-August-1917. Service No: 16990. Born in Wexford. Enlisted in Wexford. Killed in Action. Age at Death; 23. Supplementary information; Son of John and Mary Berry; husband of Ellen Donohoe ( formerly Berry ) of 10, Summer Hill, Sandy Cove, Kingstown, Co. Dublin. See Patrick Berry above. Grave or Memorial Reference: Has no known grave but is commemorated on Panel 144 to 145 on the Memorial; Tyne Cot Memorial in Belgium.
Regards.
 Tom.

Offline byrne 36

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 September 10 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi. First time on here but there appears to be some similarities with my search of the berry family in wexford.
My great great grandfather was John Berry who also turns up in the 1911 census as living in Keysers Lane wexford. He had a son Nicholas who also served in the Boer War. When tracing John's wife Kate it turns out that her mother was Eliza Murphy who was married to Nicholas Browne. I wonder if Nicholas and Patrick were cousins?
My grandmother told me that the berry family all came from keyers lane.

Offline debi1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 September 10 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am fairly new to all of this as well. I havnt gone any further back than Patrick with any great certainty.  My Patrick lived in 9 Keyers Lane in 1911 married to Ellen Berry (maiden name Browne) When Kathleen was born in 1915 they lived in Back Street, then Patrick went off to war and died in 1917.  References in war news mention another brother Richard who also died in WW11 but his parents are named John and Mary.  I had no idea that Berry was such a popular name in Wexford so I am having difficulty confirming Patricks parents.

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 00:15 BST (UK) »
A couple of Berry headstones in Crosstown cemetery Wexford Town.
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester