Author Topic: Children's Home, Church Village, Pontypridd  (Read 10901 times)

Offline tooleyjack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Children's Home, Church Village, Pontypridd
« on: Saturday 29 May 10 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone help please,
My Mother and her sister were fostered and adopted from Children's Home, in Church Village nr Pontypridd in the late 1930 or early 1940. (Unfortunately now dead and no contact with the sister for 35 years). I want to trace their past and childhoods. Does anyone now how I can do this?
I don't live in wales, I am in Sussex and so it all seems very confusing to get the right place.
I know the names of my mother and her sister and my mother's real parents as well as foster parents. Am I allowed to put them on here?
If any one can help with any information at all, I would love to hear from you.
This information has come from a friend who grew up with my mother, who also came from the home but this is the only help she can remember.
With hopeful wishes, Steve J

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Children's Home, Church Village, Pontypridd
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 May 10 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to rootchatters
Is your mum has now passed away you can give her name and  date of birth and where born also her parents full names and any info you might know about them that is if they have also passed away, if you do not know if her sister is still alive leave her info out.
Is it just their childhood info you want -like where they lived  and went to school? or are you looking for parents and grandparents info through the census?
Hope this helps
cheers cardiff  :)
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline tooleyjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 May 10 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Cardiff, thank you for your help, details are below if any one can help.
Mothers name Jean Irene Davies born 11-12-1935 died in 1999 I afraid.
There is a confusion over her name as she spent her live being called jean but thinking her real name was Ann but when she applied for a Birth certificate in 1982 it came back her name was Jean.
We think she was fostered at ten years old to a family called the Mitchells in Gilfach Goch.
She had two sisters or half sisters and at least one brother but not sure about any of them. The brother was about 5 years younger. I know the sisters names but don't know if they are still alive, so have not given them.
Her father was Frank Davies and her Mother was Catherine Williams.
Frank was a railway worker and possibly had a brother called Fred. They lived in 1935 in the High Street Llanbradach.
Please can anyone help.
Steve.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I had a quick look for you, & I can only see one Jean Davies, born Oct/Nov/Dec Quarter of 1935.

Registered in Pontypridd, Volume 11a, Page 605. The mother's Maiden Name is given as Inkpen. Does that match the details on your Mother's Birth Cert?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline tooleyjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly, thanks for looking. I do have a birth certificate for mum but I can't find it on the register. It was not registered until march 1937. How can I find the certificate listing?
The reason for tracing my mum is there is a ten year gap from birth until ten years old when we don't know anything about her, where she came from, why she was in a home and how long for etc.
Thanks, Steve.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

The Records for the Home that your late mother was in seem to be held by the Archives for Wales.

See:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08sx/

To look at the actual records available you would probably have to arrange to visit in person, but it is probably worth your while to contact the Archives and see how detailed their records are...as they might not have that much info on individual children.

Looking at the Free BMD Site, - there are lots of Jean Davies' in the timescale you give!

I'm assuming that this one must be your mother?

Births Mar 1937 :
Davies    Jean I    Williams    Pontypridd   Volume 11a   Page 649

What are the details given on your mother's Birth Cert? Does it give parent's names & mother's maiden name?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline tooleyjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly,
That's it, I think, my mums certificate.
Her mother was Catherine Williams. I will go and have another look for it now.
Many thanks for the home details. I am planning a visit at beginning of July to have a look. I have emailed Glamorgan record office today is this the same place for the Archives for Wales?
What is BMD site? 
Many thanks, Steve.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 18:48 BST (UK) »

Hi Again Steve,

The Archives for Wales are located at:

Contact Details

The National Library of Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
Wales
SY23 3BU
Phone:  01970 632800
Fax: 01970 615 709
Enquiries: www.llgc.org.uk/enquire

I would check with them beforehand as to how much info they've got though, so as to avoid disappointment. You could also put a Post on here asking if any RC'ers are planning to visit the Archives, & might consider having a look for you.

The Free Birth, Death & Marriages Site is located at:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

I'll have a peek on Ancestry for you & see if I can see Catherine Williams later.

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 19:09 BST (UK) »
Just had a quick look for you, - but without further info it really is like looking for the proverbial needle... ::) ::)

Do you have any further info on Catherine Williams at all? Did she have a middle name? Was your mother her first child, - i.e did she have her when she was very young? Did she marry Frank Davies, & do you have any info on this?

Difficult I know...when you know so little :(

This Marriage looks like it might be them!

Marriages Jun 1934
Davies    Frank    Williams    Pontypridd    Volime 11a     Page 1173

If you order the Marriage Cert, it will give you more to go on, - their father's names etc...

Romilly.
Researching: