Author Topic: Early Mayors of Cirencester  (Read 2759 times)

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Early Mayors of Cirencester
« on: Sunday 30 May 10 02:57 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please tell me when Cirencester first had a mayor and was the surname of Strange or Le Strange or le Strange among them. I am querying the time around the 1400's.
King William
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Early Mayors of Cirencester
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 May 10 03:04 BST (UK) »
Would there be a list of past and current mayors inside the local parish church? No idea how far this might go back if such a thing does exist. Contacting a church official might be worth a try.  :-\

Added: Looks like there is some major refurbishment going on with the church at present.
http://www.cirenparish.co.uk/campaign.htm

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 May 10 03:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I will give it a try
King William
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Worcestershire - Beach

Offline lecat35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 15:34 BST (UK) »
Cant help you with Mayors King William and I am new to this forum I am Lesley Jane Bush and My father is Micheal Roger Bush he was 1 of 7 boys his Parents were Eric Alfred Collingwood Bush and May Olive Joesphine Martin I am new to the family tree and this is my first post when I google Bush you popped up on here tracing both names. So I thought I try and get in touch. I have not had any luck so far. What I know is that Alfred was Born 25th of Oct 1916 in Edmonton and May was born 6 November 1915 in Hartley Wintney they were married in 1937 in Edmonton. they brought passage to Australia in 1955 for themselves and 6 children. These details I know to be true and correct. But having major issues getting any further. I have alot to learn.... I'd be very appriciatetive of any help you can give me and hey if we are related somehow I have the bottom end of the tree sorted.

Regards Lesley

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 17:28 BST (UK) »
You might want to contact Cirencester Civic Society or Cirencester Archaeological and History Society. Sorry, I am not clever enough to include a link - just Google.

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 July 10 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi - a message to Brentor Boy, many thanks for the thought, will give it a try.
To lecat35 - I am off on holiday tomorrow so will have to get back to you on 13th August.
The fact that your name is Bush means you are quite likely to be one of us, as our line goes way back to before 1400 when they came across from Carmarthenshire in Wales. They were rich and in the cloth business which is why they are well recorded so far back. I am doing a huge Bush history on my line with 5 other people and I know that someone will be able to help between us.
Robin
Shropshire - le Strange
Worcestershire - Beach

Offline Jennifer Strange

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 August 18 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi King William! This is the first time I've done this, so hope it comes out o.k.
My father's mother was a Bush, they were born and lived in Bitton. My husband is a Strange. Researching his line, I found Thomas Strange, who in 1415, was the guild master and was pardoned for his part in conflict between the town (market) and the abbey. I believe the mayors didn't come into existence in Cirencester until later. I'll try and find the documents I was reading. I also found a John Strange who is mentioned in 1327 and 1337, if I remember, once for paying tax and once for being on some kind of jury. I really must check my notes. Hope this is helpful.

Offline Jennifer Strange

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 14:23 BST (UK) »
Re my last post, the mention of Thomas Strange in 1415 can be found www.ebooksread.com/_/page-5.transactions-50 bristol and gloucester
Transactions for the year 1893/94.
1415, Thomas Strange accused by the abbot of having aided and abetted the tenants in their rebellion throughout the reign of Henry V1.

Hope this is of interest to all the Strange researchers out there.

The address may be a little off, I wrote it down ages ago and can't read my own writing!