Author Topic: Spanish Wrecks on Aberdeenshire Coast  (Read 17756 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish Wrecks on Aberdeenshire Coast
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 15:38 BST (UK) »
Which company did you test with that is giving you this Iberian, and what is the percentage?

Ethnicity Estimate: Primarily Great Britain. 6% Scandinavian, 2% Iberian Peninsula 2% Europe West  1% Finland.

I tested with Ancestry and uploaded to both FTDNA and GEDMatch.  Yes the different companies use different algorithms and any matching and heritage results are just estimates. In the end I am pleased to make contacts and find further evidence to support the detail in my family tree. Margaret

It's great fun testing with different agencies and comparing the results. I posted my FTDNA results a few pages back. I now have results from MyHeritage which make me feel quite exotic -
Irish, Scottish & Welsh (i.e. Celtic)  60.2%
Scandinavian                                 19.3%
Finnish                                          4.9%
Iberian                                          6.8%
Italian                                           2.1%
Baltic                                            4.7%
Nigerian                                        1%
North African                                 1%

Bear in mind that my parents were fishermen's offspring from adjacent villages in the East Neuk of Fife. I've traced both sides of my family back for hundreds of years and the most exotic ancestors, for a Fifer like me, came from Northumberland and Northern Ireland.

But I'm impressed by MyHeritage. One of my first matches turned out to be the daughter of one of my 2nd cousins. But she was eclipsed by a match I got the other day, who shared 7.5% of my DNA, 544.1cM, 22 shared segments out of 23 - and he is the grandson of my long-lost uncle Eck who settled in Hartlepool in Co. Durham and had 6 children, about whom I knew nothing.

Harry

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 30 March 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information, our Phillips were all based in Warwickshire and Birmingham in particular we're back to the mid 1700's who knows where they originated  from.

We have been really lucky with one of dad's lines and have been in contact with a lady who's ancestor was the sister of our great, great grandmother. She sent a photo of a christening party, the sister's on the photo and she definitely resembles our grandad and great uncle........ All thanks to a DNA result.

Offline Neal Hoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 06 December 19 17:56 GMT (UK) »
I had a neighbour who lived in Edinburgh but was from Anstruther in Fife. He was about mid 70s in the 1990s so may well have passed away by now. He looked a bit swarthy and could pass for Spanish and he had a Spanish surname, Montador. He said he was a descendant of an Armada survivor and that there were a few others with that name in Fife.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 06 December 19 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neal Hoy

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Just by chance there is a family tree for a Montador family from Fife here www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:M1CK-HBC Goes back to a Jean Baptiste Montador from France. Certainly the Montador name looks to have been in Fife for many years.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neal Hoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 06 December 19 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much. So, maybe this man had got the wrong end of the stick as often happens with family legends. I shall look into this. Thank you again.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 06 December 19 18:35 GMT (UK) »
In case you get extra curious  ::) there are quite a few researchers on this line such as here www.ancestry.com/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=557&p=localities.weurope.france.nord-pasdecalais  Will give you additional info and details to support the tree on Family Search.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 06 December 19 19:12 GMT (UK) »
The Montadors came from Boulogne in northern France as did their relatives the Gen family. Both Montadors and Gens ended up living in my home town, Cellardyke. These families have been intensively researched by some of their descendants so their origins are beyond doubt. My information about the Montadors comes from one of their descendants in Australia. Mind you, although the Montadors lived in Boulogne, their surname does indeed look Spanish so maybe their ultimate origins were more exotic.

Harry

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 16 February 20 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Christian Montador (About 1850 France - 1913 Ontario, Canada) married one of my distant cousins, David Harvie Colquhoun (1849 Paisley - 1928 Ontario, Canada). My research so far seems to indicate that the Montadors came from the Northern coast of France/Belgium, however, they could indeed have come from much further away.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline ICHIBAN

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 02 May 20 14:40 BST (UK) »
I'm a Cordiner from Boddam, well my Dad, Robert was brought up there. He died last year and it was a story that we were direct descendants of the Santa Catherina. Beyond this, I have no idea if true, but apparently it is.
Apologies I've not read the entire thread, but this did catch my interest as it supports the family yarn, it would be interesting to know for sure.