Author Topic: Spanish Wrecks on Aberdeenshire Coast  (Read 17790 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish Wrecks on Aberdeenshire Coast
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 03 March 18 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Which company did you test with that is giving you this Iberian, and what is the percentage?

Are you on Gedmatch? 

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 03 March 18 09:02 GMT (UK) »
These Spaniards must have been busy, the same stories are told in the Seaboard villages of Easter Ross.

Anent the name Sophia, probably from the grand-daughter of James VI, daughter of the Winter Queen & ancestress of the present royal house! See the popularity in Scotland of the names George, Albert & Victoria! Check also the family names of the laird of this fishing community & who did he marry, minister ditto!

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 03 March 18 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Anent the name Sophia, probably from the grand-daughter of James VI, daughter of the Winter Queen & ancestress of the present royal house!
Hmmmm. Sophia, wife of the Elector of Hanover, born 1630, died 1714, only weeks before she would have succeeded to the united crowns of Scotland, England and Ireland.

SP has 14 Sophias in the OPRs before 1630, and 710 between 1630 and 1714. Some may have been named for the daughter of the Winter King and Queen of Bohemia, but I wonder just how many people in Scotland had actually heard of Sophia before the act of Parliament that made her the heiress to the crown?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 03 March 18 09:45 GMT (UK) »
To the previous posters, you are correct. I am not offended by confirmation of the occupational names. However, none of that confirms or excludes the possibility of the arrival in Peterhead of seamen of Iberian extraction to add to the long term families there. My % of genetic heritage from Iberian peninuslar has to come from some kind of interaction across the waters. Our Cordiners in Peterhead were leather shoe makers and also fishermen, and they originated in the fishing village Boddam.  In Scottish tradition there is a naming pattern that keeps names revolving through families across the generations.  It is helpful when doing genealogy research because once you know the given name of the first daughter you also can reliably guess the name of the maternal grandmother.Sophia is a very unusual name for families in Peterhead, and as far as I can see reserved only for the fishing families.

It's beginning to sound very much as if you are related to my late friend Peter Smith of Cellardyke in Fife. Pete was a teacher at my secondary school when I was a pupil there, and when I came to write a book about the town he was very helpful to me. He wrote several books of his own about the local fishing industry. His father Peter Smith was our local bard, known as "Poetry Peter", and he was married to a Mary Jean Cordiner from Boddam.

Harry

Offline Hanwell_A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 03 March 18 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gipsy Spirit,
..... My Great Grandparents William Cordiner and Sophia Stephen married on 15th October 1854, probably at Boddam. Please would you contact me by telephone and I will give you my e-mail address. I don't know how to send you a PRIVATE  message. I live in Scarborough, Yorkshire, England and I am the only Hanwell in the area telephone directory. Once in email contact, I will happily send you a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet with my branch of the Cordiner family on it. All originated from the Boddam / Peterhead area of Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
..... Regards, Adrian Hanwell.

Offline gypsyspirit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Margaret
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 03 March 18 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Which company did you test with that is giving you this Iberian, and what is the percentage?

Ethnicity Estimate: Primarily Great Britain. 6% Scandinavian, 2% Iberian Peninsula 2% Europe West  1% Finland.

I tested with Ancestry and uploaded to both FTDNA and GEDMatch.  Yes the different companies use different algorithms and any matching and heritage results are just estimates. In the end I am pleased to make contacts and find further evidence to support the detail in my family tree. Margaret

WELLS: London, Bedfordshire, Stawell (Australia)
HAWTHORN: Kettering England
BROWN: Ayrshire, London
HARRIS: London, Ballarat, Pitfield, Richmond (Australia)
REID: Ayrshire, Scotland, Stawell (Australia)
SELLAR: Aberdeen
BRUCE
FOSTER: Durham
McGOWAN: Ayrshire and Durham
JOHNSON: England and Australia
ILES: England and Australia
QUARRELL: Ballarat, Pitfield, Stawell, Creswick Australia
BUTTERS: Peterhead Aberdeenshire
KING: Aberdeenshire
BROWN: Manchester
CHASTON: Suffolk, Surrey
BROWN: Suffolk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 03 March 18 12:59 GMT (UK) »
@ FF, Sophia wasn't just some unknown German princess, she was at one time to have been married off to her cousin Charles II but she gave him the brush-off. This marriage, had it happened, would have secured the Protestant Succession, kept a Stewart on the throne & saved Scotland the misery of successive Jacobite Rebellions.  Why would the common people not know the runners & riders of the Stewart Succession, they had just experienced the carnage of a Civil War whose loss of life in Scotland would not be experience again until the Great War. Who sat on the throne? affected every house in the country, from who their local laird would be, to who preached in the pulpit in the local kirk & whether or not they would be compelled to take up arms.
 People who were familiar with the Bible were quite capable of understanding the complexity of what was to be the hot topic for over a century & beyond.

Skoosh.

Skoosh. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 03 March 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how to send you a PRIVATE  message.
Find the icon that looks ike a scroll beneath gypsyspirit's name and this will open the private messaging screen.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 03 March 18 13:09 GMT (UK) »
People who were familiar with the Bible were quite capable of understanding the complexity of what was to be the hot topic for over a century & beyond.
Maybe they were, maybe some of them were not, but the succession didn't become a hot topic until about the 1680s when James VII turned Roman Catholic, and there were certainly Sophias before then, so the name, while unusual, pre-dates Princess Sophia.