Author Topic: St. Vincent's Home for Girls Montreal  (Read 3716 times)

Offline Flora-60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Vincent's Home for Girls Montreal
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 March 16 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi to everyone, total novice to this so please bear with me,I think I may have gone wrong somewhere if so Norah my apologies..I haven't a clue about posting a new thread... My story is ..My G G Aunt Belinda aged 9, was brought to Canada by Mrs.Lacy  in 1882 on The Sardinian ,she left Liverpool on 8th Sept for Quebec arrived 20th Sept destination Montreal.... I have her on the passenger lists, also from the Canadian Archives and Library evidence that she was on the books of Father Berry which I think for the girls was St. Vincents?according to my info.she was first placed in Chesterville ,Dundas County...I can't get any further..Can anyone help...I keep seeing this 9yr old on ship not knowing why, or where....any help would be appreciated.. Kind Regards Maria :) :) :)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 March 16 21:52 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 March 16 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Missed this the first time around...the reason Norah didn't receive a reply from St Anne is that it's been a ruin for many years. Definitely the right church though, just a couple of streets over from Thomas St (actually St Thomas St) in Griffintown, which was a very working class neighbourhood mostly populated by Irish immigrants.

If you look for Parc du Faubourg-Sainte-Anne on google maps, that's the site of it. Use the Earth View, and you'll see the outline of where it used to be. Looks like a Time Team site  :)

There's a photo of the old church here:
http://www.imtl.org/montreal/image.php?id=4936

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull