Author Topic: Marriage in Ireland?  (Read 10608 times)

Offline balmae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage in Ireland?
« on: Monday 31 May 10 17:17 BST (UK) »
Anyone any ideas why Thomas Campbell, born in Girvan in 1833, and Elizabeth Logan, born in Carsphairn in 1830, could be in Ireland and marry in Co Tipperary Ireland in 1855. They returned that year to farm at Balmae, near Kirkcudbright? What a conundrum!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Ireland?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 May 10 17:46 BST (UK) »
Do you have a date for the marriage? and what's the source- a child's birth certificate? I.G.I. lists several children- including one born 1855 in Scotland so if this couple did marry in Ireland they didn't (or at least Elizabeth didn't) wait too long to come back to Scotland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline balmae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 May 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
The date I have is April 1855 and this was from the birth certificates of their two of their children - Elizabeth born June 1855 and John born January 1874. Balmae was on land owned by the Earl of Selkirk and I have tried to ascertain if there was Selkirk land in Ireland. It seems curious for this young couple to be in Southern Ireland at the time of the famine. The family lived the rest of their lives around Kirkcudbright. Any theories welcome!
I have also tried to follow up a marriage certificate in Co Tipperary without success.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 May 10 20:59 BST (UK) »
Do you know what religion they were? civil registration of Catholic marriages in Ireland began in 1864 but non-catholic marriages from 1845. Civil index is online (free)-
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347
Also try this part of LDS Pilot site-
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1584964

Griffith's Valuation covers all of Ireland and is mid 1800s so that might indicate whether of not the Earl of Selkirk had land in Tipperary.
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

Offline balmae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 May 10 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestions.
I have tried marriage records in the area without success though it was some time ago so I shall look again at the sites you have marked as new items are coming on line all the time.
Griffiths Valuations turned up nothing to connect Selkirks directly with Tipperary but there is always the possiblity that the land was through a marriage connection.
This is my first chat on Roots so I am very encouraged by your response.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 May 10 22:54 BST (UK) »
Did a uick search and found a possible marriage in civil index-
Thomas Campbell 1855 Cashel registration district (Co.Tipperary) volume 3 page 323
Elizabeth Logan (same details)

With these details you can order the certificate. See here for details on marriage certificates (not as good as Scottish ones, I'm afraid), how to order certificate, etc.
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,442233.0.html

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 May 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Can also add that his father was Hugh Campbell and hers John Logan. The marriage took place 20 March 1855 in Fethard, Co. Tipperary.
The certificate will give occupation of bride and groom as well as their fathers, residences of bride and groom at time of marriage, names of 2 witnesses, exact place of marriage and name of officiant.

Offline balmae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 May 10 23:04 BST (UK) »
I got onto search.labs.familysearch straight away and got the details - I am amazed! So now I can follow up the certificate. Thank you so much.
I shall just have to imagine WHY they were there in the first place

Offline balmae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 May 10 23:07 BST (UK) »
I already had Hugh Campbell and John Logan from their birth certificates but all the other details will fill the picture and are just what I need to go forward.