Author Topic: Wakefield - Ireland/New Jersey/Toronto  (Read 10010 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Wakefield - Ireland/New Jersey/Toronto
« on: Tuesday 01 June 10 20:23 BST (UK) »
This is a continuation of a thread that was started four years ago regarding the Wakefields from Aughrim.

I am interested in finding out about Jane Wakefield and her parents.  Jane was born on 25-Dec-1822 in Ireland in either Tuam or Aughrim.

Original thread, started by someone else:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,156176.0.html
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline michael riddell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wakefield - Ireland/New Jersey/Toronto
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 20:39 BST (UK) »
got you

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
In reply to Michael's question from a previous thread...Michael, I found a copy of Wakefield Memorial...compiled by Homer Wakefield, M.D., 1897.  Paraphrasing from the book:

Edward Wakefield was the son of David Wakefield.  Edward was born on the Wakefield family estate, which was on the road between Aughrim and Ballinasloe.  Edward was a shoemaker.  He lived in Ballinasloe until 1839.  The paragraph describes a bit about his later life.  Edward, according to the book, had a sister named Sarah.

Jane Wakefield is mentioned.  Some of the details provided in the book (about my ancestors) are a bit incorrect.  (Example: The book states she married John Owens; she actually married John Ovens.)

Aughrim was never mentioned by my relatives, only Tuam.  ???
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 20:48 BST (UK) »
In answer to your previous question, I do live in California, but I am Canadian.  If you would like any assistance with any American research, be sure to pop over to the United States board and we can help you there.   ;D  I would be happy to help with American or Canadian lookups.

I have a meeting I have to go to, but will check back here later.  Thank you again, Michael, for your interest.

Offline michael riddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
it's easy to get things mixed up, my father in law died about 15 years ago,a work collague of his read a speech at the grave side saying of his home county of cavan, but in fact he was born in Dublin and only moved to  cavan when he was in his teens,  meet his wife in cavan married there, move to his uncle and aunts factory in ballinasloe for work and everyone called them his parents,it happens, she maybe from tuam or had relatives from tuam, good luck in the meeting and speak again
regards
Michael

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael:

Good point about the confusion of places of birth.  Perhaps Jane's mum was born in Tuam.

While searching around for more (internet) information about the Wakefield/Ovens family, I found this article this morning (regarding my Jane Wakefield Ovens):
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/08t5/ 
It has nothing to do with my search for her birthplace, but it was interesting to find an article mentioning her name.  ;)

Offline michael riddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 June 10 20:29 BST (UK) »
hi lisa
intersting story, looks like the old bounced chq has been around a while,spoke with one of the wakefields yesterday and she was very interested to hear more,said some people had called a few years back about the tree, so she might be able to help,wont be meeting her until about the 15 of this month

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 June 10 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael:

I apologize for not answering before now; we have been busy.

I have a (poor quality) photocopy of Jane Wakefield Ovens' obituary from 1927.  It includes a photo of her; she was in her 106th year when she passed away.  I will try to include it on this thread "tomorrow morning".  (We are about 8 hours behind UK time.)

Thank you for your help with this.  It would be exciting to see if there is any connection between my Wakefields and those of Aughrim/Ballinasloe.

Edited to read 106th year, not 105th year.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 June 10 17:10 BST (UK) »
1927 Obituary
The obituary states that Mrs. Jane Wakefield Ovens died in Toronto (Canada) at the age of 105 years.  She had almost perfect health until two weeks before her death.  She and her husband John Ovens "founded the John Ovens fancy goods establishment" nearly 75 years ago.  The business is still controlled by her daughter...

..."Mrs. Ovens spent her childhood in Tuam, in the south of Ireland, where was was born." She came to the United States with her parents and settled in Jersey City.  When she wasn't quite 20 years old she married John Ovens.  Shortly afterwards they moved to Toronto...

...She was a great reader and she loved to sew.  She received a prize several years ago for embroidery at the C.N.E.  "She took a keen interest in current affairs and never worried, and to this her relatives attribute her great age"....

(Edited obituary to remove non-pertinent facts.)

Hopefully, my son can post her photo later (I don't remember how to post it.)

According to my mum, "Jane sometimes was in the shop even when she was in her 100s, apparently."   :o  :)