Author Topic: Fairlie in Broxburn  (Read 7736 times)

Offline Delta Foxy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fairlie in Broxburn
« on: Tuesday 01 June 10 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,
My dad was born and brought up in the Old Town i.e. Heatlie's Building.Does anybody have any info on this part of Broxburn,maybe some photos or some kind of info on neighbours around 1900 to 1930s.He joined, what he called the peacetime army in 1934 for 3 or 4 years and never really got back to Broxburn for any length of time.he was called up in 1939 and spent most of war abroad doing his bit for King and Country,so any info would be welcome,his name was David Fairlie.
                        Davie.

Offline heatlie70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fairlie in Broxburn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Davie

I have Heatlie ancestors from the Old town, Broxburn. I've seen the name Fairlie a few
times, but will have to go through my files to find it. Attached a photo of the Old Town
around that time. The Heatlie house was by the 1st corner on the right.

Cheers,
Robert

Offline Delta Foxy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 July 10 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert,
              My connection to Heatlie's Building is my dad was born there.My gr/gr/grandmother was Elizabeth Ferguson who was married to Thomas Heatlie who died in 1854.She then married David Chalmers and had a daughter Jessie Chalmers who married my gr/grandad David Fairlie.The family story goes that my grandfather & mother were quite friendly with the Heatlies around the time of my fathers birth in 1915. If you have any info or pics I would be interested.

Davie.

Offline adamheatlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 February 11 16:09 GMT (UK) »
I would love some info on the Heatlies if you have it. I'm a descendant and trying to get as much info as I can.
Heatlie

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi DeltaFoxy
I am looking into the familytree of your Elizabeth Ferguson who was married to 1.Thomas Heatlie and 2.David Chalmers, and I am totally confused. I have found Jessie Davidson Chalmers the daughter of Elizabeth and David in 1866 born in Linlithgow Scotland. From what you said above I then found her marriage to David Fairlie in 1885. I have found Davids death in 1953 but it says he was a widower of Jessie Heatlie not Chalmers which didn't make sense, I then looked for Jessies death and found hers in 1914 her maiden name is down as Heatlie not Chalmers, and her parents are John Heatlie and Agnes Ferguson NOT Thomas Heatlie and Elizabeth Ferguson, can you shed any light on this please. I have a few Heatlie trees on the go at the minute as I am trying to find a connection with my Heatlie family.
Thanks in advance
Dawn Heatlie

Offline rh1970

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 July 17 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Davie,

Here's a photograph from 1900 of The Uphall council. There's an Archibald Fairlie and Robert Heatlie there as members of the council.

Cheers

Robert