Author Topic: Simpson Buglass, Ayton  (Read 18299 times)

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Simpson Buglass, Ayton
« on: Tuesday 01 June 10 23:53 BST (UK) »
Simpson Buglass (1824 - 1897) is my GG grandfather.  My mother said he was head gardener at - I believe - Ayton House and I've found references to him in a couple of online books as a bit of a naturalist.  His daughter, Agnes Buglass (1859 - 1935), my mother said, was housekeeper at the same Ayton House and a beautiful christening robe was given to her by her employers when she left.  We still have it in the family.

Is there any way to verify this information?  And do I have the name Ayton House correctly?

Of course, I've got the pertinent census documents and while I'm able to take the family waaaaaay back, it's all just data and very little anecdotal information. 

I'd be grateful if anyone could put some colour on my family tree!  My mother's mother burned nearly all the family photographs when she emigrated to Canada as an elderly lady thinking it was just so much baggage!
Lancashire, Yorkshire, India: Jepson, Rothwell, Wilcock,
Dumfries, Ontario, BC: Walker, Laidlaw, Lorimer
Devonshire: Bullen
Durham: Lomas, Hodge
Northumberland: Henderson
Berwickshire: Buglass, Renton

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson Buglass, Ayton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This is all I can find in Ayton M.I.s,

In memory of Elizabeth Buglass eldest daughter of Simpson Buglass Ayton who died 18/11/1868 aged 21 years,  Also son died in infancy.  Also Jane Renton his wife who died 26/2/1880 aged 55 years.  Also the above Simpson Buglass born 7/3/1824 died 15/1/1897.  Also James Buglass eldest son of the above who died 6/8/1940 aged 88 years.  Also Margaret Aitchison wife of James Buglass who died 1/2/1944 aged 81 years.

But according to the 1851 census only Simpson was in Ayton at Ayton House shown as married 27 Labourer Lodger Ayton House.
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 12:02 BST (UK) »
It's an unusual surname, so you might like to know that a Dan Buglass (1945-2009) was rural affairs editor of the "Scotsman". His obituary was published in the paper on 2nd November 2009 and you can read it online. I tried to give a link to it here but it didn't work. The obit. says he was brought up on his parents' farm near Hawick.

Harry

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 13:55 BST (UK) »
That's interesting about Simpson living alone in the 1851 census.  I checked my records and hadn't noticed!  He married Jane Renton in January 1847 and their first child, Elizabeth was born in November the same year. (records on Scotland's People)  Jane wasn't with her parents in the 1851 Census, so I'll have to do some digging to see where she and Elizabeth actually were.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Beckey.

As for the name, the baptismal record I found shows him as Simpson Bookless, but by the time he was married, it was written as Simpson Buglass, with Peter Buglass (probably his older brother) as witness.  And of course the name can be spelled any number of ways when you go back, although OPR's I found have it as Bookless.  I'll look into Dan Buglass' obit - thanks, Harry

I do have an interesting story about the Buglasses (or Booklesses).  Simpson's daughter, Agnes, was sure there was aristocracy in the background because she had long, elegant hands so she had a cousin do some research for her.  He went back to the 1870's and found the Border Almanac which detailed in an article entitled "80 years since" the less-than-legal" activities of 3 of her 3xgreat uncles.  We thought it was just one of those family stories but it's true because I found the article!  Unfortunately, she stopped the research.  The aristocracy was there, though, but isn't it behind nearly all Scots!

I do wonder where the name Simpson came from - it was given to his grandson, my grandfather - as I haven't come across it anywhere else.

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 14:41 BST (UK) »
Found Jane Renton Buglass 1851 census in Ayton with daughter Elizabeth - "day labourer's wife".  Simpson was at Ayton House as "labourer lodger Ayton House".

Dan Buglass could be related, but probably distantly.  No Andrews (his grandfather) in my direct background.  But thanks for the heads up, Harry.  The love of land, nature and learning are certainly there in my mother's family.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 14:43 BST (UK) »
I see that another of your interests is HENDERSON in Northumberland. Not in Allendale, by any chance?

Harry

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 14:52 BST (UK) »
Northumberland, yes.  But the Hendersons came from Ford.  My grandfather, Simpson Buglass Henderson, was born in Newcastle Upon Tyne, the only child of Thomas Brown Henderson's second marriage to Agnes Buglass.  Before that, Thomas Brown was married to Janet Nisbet of Ayton and had 4 children with her.  He was a plasterer and slater, and was born in Ford to John Henderson and Margaret Brown.  My mother said there was lots of family in Ford, but I haven't been able to trace any further back than that.  I'll have to check my map to see where Allendale is!

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi puzlenut,

www.maxwellancestry.com/census   1861 shows a George and Margrey Buglass (Master Tailor) with a son Simpson.  May be a conection.

Found the others in 51 under Buglas
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, Beckey

I checked out the link you gave me (thanks, by the way - I wasn't aware of this  one) and found the family you talked about.  HAS to be a connection - George and Margrey's children have all the family names that are in my Buglass background.  George would be my Simpson's brother who was born in 1821 and would have been 40 in the 1861 census.   I should now check Scotland's People for the name Simpson as I did for another unusual name on my father's side - Quentin.

Thanks Beckey!  Good find.