Author Topic: Anybody here good at reading Kerry placenames on BMD records?  (Read 3619 times)

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Anybody here good at reading Kerry placenames on BMD records?
« on: Wednesday 02 June 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
This is an image of my gg-grandfather Daniel's death record.  He lived in Colomane East, just outside of Bantry, in Co Cork.

It is the informant's residence I am trying to read.  The informant Daniel is the youngest son.  Daniel Jr moved to Co Kerry and became a R.I.C. constable.   (I have the birth record of Daniel's son Lawrence from 1913, which says the residence is Direen (I think Kenmare PLU), and the father is an ex-R.I.C. constable.)

Can anybody here take a stab at the residence?  Much appreciated!

PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline Hollander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody here good at reading Kerry placenames on BMD records?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Skibbgirl.

There is a Templenoe in County Kerry. Could this be it?

http://homepage.eircom.net/~dinglemaps/genuki/KER/Templenoe/index.html
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 17:13 BST (UK) »
I knew some kind soul would take a shot at this!   

My first thought was it was Temple-something, but I kept looking for a townland starting with Temple-, didn't think it would be a civil parish!

Thanks so much!

PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Skibbgirl.

There is a Templenoe in County Kerry. Could this be it?

http://homepage.eircom.net/~dinglemaps/genuki/KER/Templenoe/index.html

Wow!  Based on the information at the link about the D.E.Ds that were spawned out of Templenoe, I took another shot at searching the 1911 census.  Up to now I have had zero luck in finding Daniel Jr, his wife Elizabeth Lavery and daughter Mary Ellen and I was starting to think they were out of the country.

Anyway, in Greenane DED I noticed a townland called Derreenfinlehid, which I though closely matched "Direen" on baby Lawrence's birth record.  I browsed, and sure enough,there is a Domhnall Ó Coileáin and his wife Eilís .     And their daughter Mary Ellen Collins is Máire Eibhlín Ní Choileáin.

Duh, it had not occurred to me to search for the names in Gaelic since all the other records for my family have been in Bearla.   

So identifying the place name has finally led me to the correct household census record !

Offline Hollander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 17:55 BST (UK) »
Excellent news, Skibbgirl!  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk