Author Topic: Roberts of Bagillt and Talacre  (Read 4907 times)

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Roberts of Bagillt and Talacre
« on: Friday 04 June 10 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for any connection to the Roberts of the above place or nearby.

I am collating a family tree for a relative who's grandmother was Susannah Roberts  born 1895 at Bagillt and died 1985 in Stoke on Trent Staffordshire, Her father was William Price Roberts b 1872 and according to the 1901 census born at Corwen. he was married to Annie, maiden name not known. William and family moved to Hanley, Stoke on Trent. There were many children some not yet confirmed but two have, Lydia Alice born 1894 at Bagillt and Polly, born 1901 at Hanley.

Talacare came up in a conversation when an elderly aunt was questioned about the family roots, no connection has been made.

Susannah had prior to her 1st marriage to Absolm Cartlidge two children Hannah Roberts born 1912 and died 1969 in Staffordshire and Nellie Roberts who passed away a few months ago

We do have a brick wall, who is William, parents

Regards
Alf Beard

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts of Bagillt and Talacre
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 June 10 16:36 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the 1881 census?

Have you checked freebmd for a birth for William Price Roberts or a marriage between William Price Roberts and Annie?

The 1901 shows him as aged 27 so b 1873/74 - not 1872
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 June 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Alf, I think I have another two daughters are Sarah Ann born in Wales and Mary b1901 Hanley (fairly sure).

I've also found in 1891 there is a William Price Roberts Collier born Tryddyn Flintshire living in No5 ? Terrace Bagillt

Maurice Collier  born abt 1848 Bryn Egwlys Denbighshire
Lydia born abt 1849 Bryn Egwlys Denbighshire
William Price Roberts abt 1873 Collier Tryddyn Flintshire
Robert Roberts abt 1884 Bagillt
John Roberts abt 1882 Bagillt
Evan Maurice Roberts abt 1887 Bagillt
Catherine Roberts 1891 (1 month old)

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 4606; Folio 10; Page 14; GSU roll: 6099716.
Bryn Egwylys is close to Corwen so perhaps he didnt realise he was born elsewhere, will have a look at 1881.

Sarah  ;D
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 June 10 18:32 BST (UK) »
Found the parents Lydia and Maurice in 1881 but don't know where William is. Parents are living on Bagillt Rd, Greenfield

Same info on parents as before and I think I spelt Bryn Eglwys wrong. Two extra children

John born Tryddyn Flintshire abt 1875
Naomi born Holywell 2 months old

I was wondering if the family got Talacre slightly wrong and it should have been Tryddyn?
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 June 10 18:42 BST (UK) »
Sarah Ann Roberts was born 1896/1897  but does not appear on the 1901 census with the family

Lydia Alice 7  Susannah 5 and a 7week old daughter Polly.  Mary was often corrupted to Polly

Somebody has notified a transcription error on that name in August 2009 as the original was Pedly

The same person has also notified that Lydia Alice was actually Lydia Ann

Births Dec 1893 

Lydia Ann Roberts    Holywell  11b 200

Births December qtr 1895  (born 20.10.1895 according to her death registration)

Susannah Roberts    Holywell  11b 182

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 June 10 19:09 BST (UK) »
I've never heard that Mary is often turned into Polly or vice versa, you learn something new everyday!

I am finding it difficult tracing a marriage for Maurice and Lydia. In 1901 they are living in Gwersyllt near Wrexham at No 1 New Houses on the High Street. They still say the same info and living with sons John & Robert aged 17 and Evan Maurice who is 14, John is a collier and the other two boys are waggoners down the mine, father is a labourer in mine Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 5222; Folio: 67; Page: 16.

Finally found the marriage in 1872 in Wrexham Morris Roberts married Lydia Jones in a civil cermony
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 June 10 19:11 BST (UK) »
There is no obvious marriage for William Price Roberts and Annie.  A copy of one of their daughters birth certs will be needed to find her maiden name

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 June 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
This is Morris in 1861 living in Tryddyn RG9/4278/57 p 12

I have him in 1851 HO107/2509/329 p3
It would seem Morris is my 3x great grandfathers brother!!!
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 June 10 19:30 BST (UK) »
I've never heard that Mary is often turned into Polly or vice versa, you learn something new everyday!

It was quite a surprise to me when I searched the 1911 Census under "Polly + variants" and about 8 responses were returned - all Mary, not a Polly amongst them.
One of those Marys turned out to be the "Polly" in question I believe.