Author Topic: Malone of Edinburgh (St Giles area-Cowgate, Cowans Close  (Read 3887 times)

Offline goddles1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Malone of Edinburgh (St Giles area-Cowgate, Cowans Close
« on: Saturday 05 June 10 11:10 BST (UK) »
Thomas MALONE (bootmaker) and his 2nd wife Catherine (nee CASSIDY) were both from Ireland but married and lived in Edinburgh from 1840s onward.  Thomas died 1870 and Catherine by Aug 1884.

Known children: Thomas (1849), unk male (1851-1855?), Patrick (1853), John (1855), Hugh (1858) & Myles (1858-1870), Ann (1860), ?James (1863).  Hugh possibly married in 1884 to Mary FARRELL.

William, a son from Thomas' 1st marriage, migrated to Australia and hundreds of his descendants live there. 

Anything to add to my knowledge of the Edinburgh branch will be very much appreciated.  Thanks

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Malone of Edinburgh (St Giles area-Cowgate, Cowans Close
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 June 10 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi goddles,

I notice you don't have an exact date for Catherine's death? It seems she was registered as Catherine Maloney (other name: Cassedy), having died 1878 in Canongate, Edinburgh aged 50. This certificate would give parents' names if known.

There is also a marriage between a Hugh Malone and a Mary Farrell, 1884, in Canongate, Edinburgh.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

hume :)

Offline goddles1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 June 10 00:08 BST (UK) »
thanks for that lead Hume, I checked and yes that is her!

Offline colanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 June 10 08:23 BST (UK) »
I have been researching Catherine Malone's sister Margaret Cassidy  ( parents Hugh or Patrick and Ann Cullen or Collins ). She married my g g grandfather William Scott.

Thomas was in receipt of poor relief  for a number of years.

Have you found Catherine's birth in Ireland? I am having difficulty finding Margaret's birth. If you have any more information I  would be very grateful.

I didn't know that Thomas had been married before. Was that in Ireland? He married Catherine in Edinburgh.

Hope to hear from you,

Anne

Offline goddles1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 June 10 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hello colanne,

Catherine's DC only lists her father - he was recorded as Patrick, a crofter, deceased.

Almost all records (census & childrens' reg entries) only show Catherine's birthplace as Ireland (B 1823-28) but the BC of one child gives location as Co Leitrim.  Thomas was from Co Roscommon, and although I'm unsure of his exact place of birth he lived for some years at Cootehall which is almost on the Roscommon/Leitrim border.

I was unaware that Thomas was on poor relief - are you able to share those details?  Regarding Thomas & Catherine's marriage, I don't have exact details only that it was Edinburgh in 1845 (RC, I suspect).  Do you know anything about any of the couples descendants?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Offline colanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 June 10 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Margaret Scott ( MS Cassidy ) died, a pauper, 16th Dec 1869 in the Edinburgh City Poorhouse.

The death was notified by Catherine Maloney , sister , 4 Dick Court , College Wynd which was in the Cowgate.

Father is recorded as Hugh Cassidy , crofter , deceased.
mother Ann Collins, deceased.

Margaret's marriage certificate names father Hugh , labourer , mother Ann Cullen. Catherine was a witness
and Margaret's address was 22 college wynd which was where Catherine was living at the time (1857).

I know that Catherine's death certificate mentions Patrick so I don't know which name is correct.

I also have a child Andrew Maloney born 13/11/1865.

I found the poor relief records at Edinburgh city chambers . I was looking for Margaret Scott and noticed Thomas' name. I will look and see if I took any notes but I don't think I did. It just mentioned the year and the amount paid.

Thomas and Catherine were RC, the marraige was at st mary cathedral on june 10th 1848 RH21/74 9.
I don't know about their children but will do any look ups if I can ( I live near Edinburgh).
I don't know if you are further away.
Hope this helps,
Anne

Offline goddles1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Colanne, and thank you for the the details of Thomas & Catherine's marriage - I did not have exact date.  I am keen to continue to try to untangle this family so have sent you a personal message - did you receive it?

Thanks

Offline jemarsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 May 16 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Di,

I wonder if we could touch base again on the Malone family. I am still struggling with my Peter (born Roscommon, father Thomas Malone, shoemaker) who enlisted in the 1st Royal Battalion in Edinburgh. I was looking through some old notes and found that serving at the same time in the regiment was an Edward Malone. I only got this from the muster lists at the National Archives. I can't find anything much else but saw that there is a military record for Edward Malone, born Roscommon, at the archives. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10381774. Without subscription, I can't access it to look at it in more detail. How are you doing with the tracing? Best wishes, John.