Author Topic: Joseph Semple, John Semple and Jane Semple  (Read 15744 times)

Offline Malcolm173

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Semple, John Semple and Jane Semple
« on: Saturday 05 June 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

My great grandmother was Jane Semple, born about 1853 in the Galway area (recorded as Connemara in the 1901 census but just Galway in the 1911 one).  Her father was John Semple, a builder who was based in Dominic Street, Galway until his death at around 1880.

Jane Semple married my great grandfather, Edward Patrick Staunton, on 6 June 1876.  They were married at Nile Lodge, Galway, which was the home of Joseph Semple.  Joseph Semple (abt 1816-1905) was a JP and merchant.

The Galway Family History Society has been extremely helpful with information about my family but can find no record of John Semple’s marriage or death (although there is a possibly relevant baptism record in 1807) and can find no records which could tell me the relationship between Jane Semple or her father and Joseph Semple.

I would be grateful for any information that would help.

Many thanks

Malcolm

Offline JGGalway

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Semple, John Semple and Jane Semple
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 June 15 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just came across your message while googling Nile Lodge and Semple.  I can't see if your post is recent?  I am to visit Nile Lodge this evening and am related (through marriage) to Semple and in particular the Joseph Semple you mention.  A relative has a portrait of him in her home.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 June 15 15:59 BST (UK) »
Did Jane's marriage certificate state her father's occupation as builder?

Details of an architect John SEMPLE died in Galway in 1880 Link to Will
Further information on John SEMPLE Architect
Location of business detailed in article
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Malcolm173

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 June 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you very much JGGalway, myluck! and dathai for your messages.  I posted my message on 5th June 2010 and gave up looking for a reply a long time ago!  Your information is extremely helpful and really interesting.

JG - I would be very interested in learning more about Joseph Semple and his family and I'd love to see a photo of the portrait.  There is a photo of him with Michael Cloherty outside their sawmill in one of Maurice Semple's books - which I have - but I've seen no other pictures of him. I'll send you a message with my email address.

myluck! - Jane's marriage certificate does state that her father was a builder so I'm sure this is the same person as in your links.  This information helps a lot because I couldn't find any information about his death.  The information on Lower Dominick is very interesting because my great grandparents Edward Patrick Staunton and Jane Staunton (nee Semple) lived at 8 Lower Dominick Street, where Edward was an apothecary.  He must have taken over the shop from Patrick Staunton and I assume they were related, but don't know the exact relationship.  My relatives lived there until about 1910.

Datahi - thanks for the link concerning Elizabeth Semple.  She is obviously a relative too and I'll have to investigate further to find out where she fits in. 

Many thanks again for all your help.

Malcolm

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 August 15 07:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, a few bits that may help.....

Marriage:
17 January 1836
Shrule, co Mayo
R.C.
John Semple
address: Shrule
Mary Anne Kean
address: not recorded

Births:
Henry Semple
bap: 10 July 1840
parents: John Semple & Mary Ann Kean
sponsors: George Michan & Rose Kean

Charles Semple
bap: 23 November 1841
parents: same
sponsors: Joseph Semple & Margaret Semple

Hariot Semple
bap: 7 December 1843
sponsors: James Kean & Agnes Semple

Joseph Semple
bap: 9 Sept 1845
sponsors: Bridget Folan & Austin Semple

** all children were baptised in St Nicholas Combined church, Galway

Birth:
John Semple
address: West
bap: 21 June 1807
Rahoon, co Galway
R.C.
father: John Semple
mother: not listed

Hope something helps, Kim

Offline Malcolm173

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim

Many thanks for all this information.  It gives me the maiden name of John Semple's wife, which I didn't know before.  She was Mary Anne Kean, who must have been born around 1818 because we know that she died in 1888 at Shop Street, aged 70.  John Semple was born in 1807 and died in 1881.

Your list of sponsors gives more indications that John Semple and Joseph Semple were closely related.  The Joseph Semple who lived at Nile Lodge was born around 1816 and so perhaps was John's brother.

We know from the censuses that Jane Semple was born around 1851 but so far we don't have a formal record of this.  We knew she had a sister, Margaret Semple, who was born around 1837 and married Michael Cloherty around 1853 when she was about 16.  I didn't know about the other children on your list and I'll have to do some more research on these.

Thanks very much for all your help with this.

Malcolm

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 September 15 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I looked for the births of Joseph ( 1816), Margaret (1837), and Jane (1851) Semple with no luck in Galway. The only births in the parish registers for people of those names were born in county Down. I also in the parish registers checked from 1834-1854 for the marriage of Margaret & Michael Cloherty without success. You may already have these births but I will send them along just in case.

Births of children to Michael & Margaret Cloherty:

Patt John
address: Galway
bap 19 Feb 1854
St Nicholas Combined
Roman Catholic
father: Michael Clogherty
mother: Margaret Semple
sponsors: Peter Flynn & Miss Winter

William
bap 15 April 1855
sponsors: John Semple & Mary Cloherty

Henry
bap 18 Aug 1856
sponsors: Francis McNamara & Agnes Semple

Michael
bap 22 Jan 1858
sponsors: Joseph Semple & Mary A. Semple

Mary Agnes
bap 26 Aug 1859
sponsors: Richard Semple & Mary Semple

Charles
bap 4 Aug 1861
sponsors: Thomas Croker & Jane Semple

** with all these baptisms all the information given on Patt John's is exactly the same on the rest except for baptism date & sponsors names. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, Kim

Offline Malcolm173

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 September 15 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim

I had some of this but not all of it and having the list of the sponsors is very helpful.

Just in case this is of help to others with links to these families, the Mary Agnes Cloherty who was born in 1859 married William V Semple, a son of Joseph Semple, around 1878 (again, no formal record found so far).  They had at least three children - Joseph (1879), Frank (1880) and Archibald (1885).  William Semple died in 1886, aged 34.  Agnes (as she was known) did not remarry.  She died at Seamount Nursing Home in Galway in 1927, aged 67.

Frank Semple married Elizabeth Ffrench and one of their sons was Maurice Semple, the solicitor who wrote several books about Galway and the Corrib.

Thanks again for your help.

Malcolm