Author Topic: GOMERSALL-GUMMERSON (GOONS #808)  (Read 13491 times)

Offline DebbieGo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
GOMERSALL-GUMMERSON (GOONS #808)
« on: Monday 28 March 05 14:26 BST (UK) »
I have been a member of the Guild of One-Name Studies for many years and have been researching the Gomersall surname for 26 years. 

I cover all the variants of the surname including Gummersall and Gummerson.

I would love to hear from anyone with an interest in the name.

Debbie

Offline Sedgie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GOMERSALL-GUMMERSON (808)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie, I have a Scruton Gommersall/ Gummersal in my family tree...he was the second husband of my great-great-grandmother, Jane Ann Todd/Sedgwick/Gommersal.
He was son of William G. and Eliza Hall I think, and was killed in a mining accident 16th Feb 1886, aged 32yrs. Although he's not a blood relative as I come through the Sedgwicks, he's still an interesting character...and WHAT a name!!!
Regards Sedgie.

Offline DebbieGo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have quite a bit on this family, having corresponded with Harry Lee for many years, he too comes from the Sedgwick connection, you must be fairly closely related.  If you would like more information you can contact me through the Guild of One-Name Studies at www.one-name.org Just look up the surname Gomersall and my husbands name comes up, the emails come through to me though.

Debbie

Offline Treemaker

• I am sorry my email and website are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Genealogists don't die.They just lose their census
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

My 5th great grandmother was Mary GOMERSALL, born abt 1769. She married Benjamin BENTLEY at Birstall, Yorkshire in 1791. I haven't been able to get back any further with her but believe she may have come from the aptly named Gomersal area of the West Riding.

Have you done any research in this area?

Regards
Martin
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Ormondroyd - North Bierley, Harwood - Leeds, Hilton - Lancashire, Hunt - Kidderminster, Ackroyd - Liversedge, Hooson - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Ashworth - Liversedge, Grainger - Hartwith, Ellis - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Hutchinson - East Ayton, Asquith - Liversedge, Denton - Leeds, Clegg - Cleckheaton, Prince - Leeds & Firth - Liversedge

Offline DebbieGo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

Yes, I have Mary's family back 3 more generations.  If you could just give me a few days to sort myself out, I have had several requests for info recently and am already 2 emails behind.  If you would like to contact me directly via the Guild of One-Name Studies on www.one-name.org and then check for the Gomersall surname my email address is listed.  Did you get Mary's approx date of birth from her death, as I don't have this info?

Debbie

Offline Sheldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 October 05 05:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,
I see you have the names Firth and Hutchinson as well as Gomersall in your surname interests.
I have a Fanny Firth who married Benjamin Gomersall (thanks to Debbie go)
She was also married to a Job Hutchinson.
I was just wondering if there is a connection.
I dont know anything much about the Firths.
Regards
Sheldon.
McGoverne,  Bacon (Suffolk) Jeffries (Suffolk) Beaumont (Yorkshire) Gomersall (Yorkshire)

Offline Treemaker

• I am sorry my email and website are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Genealogists don't die.They just lose their census
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 October 05 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheldon,

Unfortunately I have just the one GOMERSALL in my tree, and that is Mary as in the post above. It is a line I have not yet had a chance to pursue. My FIRTH link is another direct line of mine, but I am having no end of trouble tracing them...possibly originated in the North of England or even into Scotland. All I know is that they ended up in Liversedge in the mid 1800's. Catherine FIRTH born about 1855 is my particular link. Her father was Joseph, a stone mason, born abt 1822.
My HUTCHINSONS are from EAst Ayton/Kilham on the East coast of Yorkshire, but have no record of a Job.

Sorry I can't help further

Martin
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Ormondroyd - North Bierley, Harwood - Leeds, Hilton - Lancashire, Hunt - Kidderminster, Ackroyd - Liversedge, Hooson - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Ashworth - Liversedge, Grainger - Hartwith, Ellis - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Hutchinson - East Ayton, Asquith - Liversedge, Denton - Leeds, Clegg - Cleckheaton, Prince - Leeds & Firth - Liversedge

Offline Sheldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 October 05 00:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks anyway Martin.
Regards
Sheldon.
McGoverne,  Bacon (Suffolk) Jeffries (Suffolk) Beaumont (Yorkshire) Gomersall (Yorkshire)

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 December 05 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie,
I have just discovered my 4xGGrandfather was Benjamin Gomersall. He was born c1872 in Gomersal/Cleckheaton. All I know about him so far, is that he had at least 2 daughters - Elizabeth c1811 and Hannah c1827 - and he was married to a woman named Betty (c1780) in the 1841 and 1851 cenuses.

I wondered if you may be able to point me in the right direction of working out which Benjamin is mine (from the hundreds that seem to have been around then).
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Roberts - Cleckheaton