Author Topic: Request to Kinmel Experts!  (Read 5509 times)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Request to Kinmel Experts!
« on: Monday 28 March 05 14:56 BST (UK) »
I have been down many avenues, but I think the best place to find expertise on Kinmel Camp really is here.

My grandfather, who I know to be one Frank Taylor, was based at Kinmel Camp in 1919. I have no other information about him, as my mother was conceived upon him meeting my grandmother in that November at the Hesketh Arms in Abergele, close to the camp.

He is such a mysterious character, he has proved too much for me alone to try and track down. So my question is, who was at Kinmel Camp in November 1919?

Any knowledge you could bestow on me would be appreciated greatly.

Offline rando

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Request to Kinmel Experts!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 March 05 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie

I guess Kinmel Camp was at Kinmel Park.
(Bartholemew's Gazetteer, 1927, says Kinmel Park is on N.E border of Denbighshire, 3 miles S.E of Abergele)

If you look at the following link, it seems there was a riot of war weary troops there in March 1919, and there was a film made "Kinmel Park Riots" about it (but seems to be only available in USA/Canada).

http://www.filmwest.com/Catalogue/itemdetail/1306/

Let's hope there is a friencly RootsChatter over the water>

Good luck, Joe

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 March 05 19:36 BST (UK) »

Hi Joe,

Yes Kinmel camp is well documented, have read about riot's using the archive newspaper's.

Think most of the Canadians had gone home to wards the  end of 1919, lets hope someone knows who was left.

Thanks

Val

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 March 05 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie,
You don't say if your GF was a serving soldier based at the camp or what his nationality was.However,the camp is mostly famous,or should that be infamous,for the riot/mutiny which took place there in 1919 and which involved Canadian troops.
the following may be interest to you:
www.1914-1918.net/hospitals_uk.htm#huts
www.bodelwyddan-castle.co.uk/sales.htm
canoe.ca/CNEWSFeatures0105/02_soldiers-cp.html
I hope you get to the sites via the links and all the best in your research.
Another site to try--they have a forum similar to Rootschat--where you can post.Someone there may be able to assist you.:
www.1914-1918.org
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 March 05 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Lloyd

Thanks so much for your reply and website address,

I did know about the Canadians but think they had all gone by 1919.

I have sent a e.mail to your last web address for a quote to find Frank but think the situation is dire i only have his name and where he was in 1919 not a lot to go on thats why i thought if i could find out the regiments that were in Kinmel I might have a fighting chance,
 i have used the great war forum before the people on there are fantastic, but now can't get on there its got a new look and a few teething problems unless i am doing something wrong.

But i am sure you can see with only Franks name its like a needle in a haystack, but you never know.

Regards Valerie

Offline geordie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 June 05 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Valerie,
I posted a couple of thoughts for you a few months ago. Sorry you haven't made much progress.
I had another quick look at the Canadian archives and see that there were 51 Frank Taylors and 23 Francis Taylors in the CEF.
It seems that the only way to narrow the field would be to check dates on Discharge Certificates - and they're only available by post from Ottawa. (About 20p each + postage?).
If my arithmetic is right (!) you could get the lot for about £30 - and you MIGHT find the right one, discharged in late 1919/early 1920 - IF he was Canadian! 
Regards.   Bob Lewis.

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 June 05 06:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

Just when I think I will give up another crumb falls my way.

What a great idea, its money well spent to me I cant thank you enough.
Will look into it at the weekend and let you know how I get on, when the papers turn up.

This family history is a pain but i am hooked and Frank is like an itch I cant get rid of.

Regards Valerie

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 August 05 23:09 BST (UK) »
If you can let me know exactly what information you want, then I will do my best to help.  I worked at Kinmel Camp until 2 years ago so have a bit of knowledge about its history.
FLOWERDEW - Norfolk, GUERIN - London, HAMER - Wales, MARUBBI - Wales/Italy, HODGES - Cheshire, NOBBS - Yarmouth, Norfolk, WILLIAMS - Caernarfonshire, WILSON - Glasgow, WOOLSEY - Norfolk

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 August 05 22:31 BST (UK) »
HI TaffyBlue

Just got back from holiday had 186 e.mails only five of interest to me let out a cry f joy when I saw yours, heres the story in a nut shell my grand mother who was unmarried had a daughter, my mother my grandmother worked at a public house called the Hesketh Arms in Abergele its still there but not a pub any more.

She meet a soldier called Frank Taylor he was my mothers father, he was stationed at Kinmel, I know nothing more of him, my grandmother turned to an association in wales for unmarried mothers she was helped but after having my mother in August 1920 she died a few months later of the terrible flu that was going about.

Nothing is know of Frank my grandmother could not find him, now I think it was too late in say the winter of 1919 for the canadians but I would stand corrected.
I know it was a transit camp I need to find out what regiments were stationed there in the winter of 1919 but its like a needle in a hay stack I have tried the MOD but as i do not have his reg number no luck but if I had that I would not need so much help so any thing you could think of would be great.