Author Topic: Request to Kinmel Experts!  (Read 5510 times)

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Request to Kinmel Experts!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 August 05 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie,

Thanks for your message, and the info you have provided.  I will see what I can find out for you.

I know the Canadians were at the Camp in 1919, and you have already mentioned you know about the riots.  Do you know if he was one ofthe the men that perished in the riots?  If so, he could be buried at the "Marble Church" in Bodelwyddan.  There are lots of Canadian graves there.

Three of the units based at Kinmel from the Canadians were Infantry Battalions, the 29th, 158th and 231st.  These Battalions also served at Risboro Bks, Shorncliffe, Kent as well, which is near Salisbury Plain.

If he was one of the Canadians, the following may be able to help you:

HQ The Royal Canadian Regiment
Legion House
Kent and Gilmore Streets
Ottowa
Canada
K29 0R7

In the meantime, I will have a browse round and see what I can find out.  Strangely, you are the second person I have answered queries for this week about the Canadians at Kinmel! 

Also, there was a short programme made about the Kinmel riots by S4C/Channel 4.  The programme was made only 5 or so years ago, I have seen it, as my boss at the time was there at the time and was credited on the programme.  Try contacting S4C or Channel 4 to see if they have a copy.  I believe it was on one of the Sky channels too.

FLOWERDEW - Norfolk, GUERIN - London, HAMER - Wales, MARUBBI - Wales/Italy, HODGES - Cheshire, NOBBS - Yarmouth, Norfolk, WILLIAMS - Caernarfonshire, WILSON - Glasgow, WOOLSEY - Norfolk

Offline geordie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hello TaffyBlue,
With respect, I think that Valerie has been pointed down most of those tracks already. I even toured the gravestones at the Marble Church myself out of curiosity, but found nothing.
We know the Enrolement details of the CEF are on line - see my post of 16.06.05 - but Discharge Certs. are not! They have to be bought from Ottawa - and it looks as though she needs 84 of them to be sure of finding the right one - if 'sure' is the right word! (It's not 100% certain he WAS Canadian!). I think I said that £30 might cover it.
If you have any contacts in the Archives Office in Ottawa that might be a big bonus for Valerie.
(I seem to have got so involved / intrigued by this that I might order them myself - just to end the suspense!)

Regards.      Bob Lewis.

PS. The 'J' in front of the 30 was a pounds sign when I typed it!

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Geordie

I try not to mention the Canadian thing but if I don't it always come back to that.

Its not the £ 30 ,can I ask Ottawa to send all 80 odd or do I have to list the men involved by name or number.

I am hoping Taffy Blue may know more about the comming and goings off the camp and maybe other regiments beside the Canadians.

Nice to see your message thinking about going to a medium to see if Frank can get through only kidding( UNLESS THERE ARE ANY READING This)
Regards Valerie

Offline geordie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie,
I've just been having another browse thro' the CEF records - and noticed something which made my heart sink! It looks as tho' you can't order just the Discharge Certificates by themselves - you get the whole record! That could be about 30 pages for one man - and charged accordingly! (And believe it or not - the prices went up only yesterday!)
As I said, I seem to have got so intrigued by this that I must do something - just for my own curiosity's sake. (It must be about a year since I first saw your appeals!)
It'll have to be something of a 'lucky dip', but if I go thro' the Enrolement/Attestation records which are on-line I can pick out the married men and eliminate them! (Go on - laugh!).
I could then have a look at a few of the younger, single men, say DoB from 1895 onwards, pick a few likely candidates - and ask for their files. That might take a few months let alone weeks....!
In the meantime perhaps 'TaffyBlue' could follow up his side of it and we might - just might - get a match-up of info! More importantly, he might be able to eliminate the Canadians altogether, which would make it all so much easier!
I'll start a bit of a dig thro' the 84 names asap! (I don't suppose you have anything more on his exact name have you? Anything in addition to 'Frank / Francis Taylor'?)

Cheers.       Bob Lewis.

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 September 05 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Geordie,
 Thanks so much for your help its quite hard when your a novice like me and find family search quite a hard field to follow, but all that will change when I start my evening classes soon in family history well thats the theory anyway.
The Canadian thing sounds so complicated, I have found a couple of Frank Taylor one was charged with leaving prisoners I think he was at Kinmel I will dig out his details tomorrow and send them to you.

I know nothing about Frank except he was a soldier and at Kinmel and thats where my grandmother Jane met him in the Abergele Arms near by.

Regards Valerie

Offline geordie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 September 05 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Valerie.
I've gone thro' the 84 Frank/Francis Taylors in the archive. I've picked out all the unmarried ones born 1895 or later - so I've now got 21 names which I'll use as a starting point. I might ask for the records of say, 5, of them just to make sure that the discharge info. is useful. Watch this space - until Xmas? (It might take that long!)
I hope that you're not under the impression that I'm some sort of expert in all this! I only got involved, if you remember, last year because a Canadian friend was staying with me and her father was in the CEF. I took her to see the Marble Church, which I had known about from the TV programmes. She then showed me the sort of thing she does for her Family History project - and we came across you looking for info. about Kinmel etc., where we had just been! That's when I shoved my nose in - and it's since become something of a challenge!
(Serves me right for being nosey!)
Cheers.        Bob Lewis.

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 September 05 13:41 BST (UK) »
I remember Bob, but was not aware you had a Canadian Friend.

I Welcome your nose in Franks business, any expense you incur I will reimburse you, I know the rule about not swapping addresses but there is always the P.O. box thing will make enquirers or may be a business address.
 I used mine when somebody offered to send me a copy of an article about Patagonia I am trying to trace a great aunt who went there in early 1900 s but don't have her married name nothing comes easy does it.

Offline geordie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 September 05 21:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry Valerie, I thought I had mentioned that. She's a Family History fanatic and was trying to indoctrinate me!
We 'met' through one of these so-called dating sites - and she was planning to come here for a couple of weeks to try and do some 'book research'. Instead of that she stayed with me for a month, toured all her 'family places' and we even found the farm where her father's ancestors had lived before 1720! (A pile of stones and nettles on the North Yorks. Moors!) (Her mum's ancestors came from Central London - so we didn't do much about that!)
She showed me how she got her father's service records in the CEF, then whilst she was trying to persuade me to research my history we came across you - the same day that we had been to see the Marble Church! It seemed like a challenge.....!   
Good luck with the course -  you'll know far more than I ever will!

Bob Lewis.