Author Topic: Kearneys Inchicore/Stillorgan  (Read 9599 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kearneys Inchicore/Stillorgan
« on: Monday 07 June 10 09:24 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on a KEARNEY family who lived in the general Dun Laoghaire area in the late 1880s and early 1900s. They are my husbands ancestors.

The family is listed in Stillorgan on the 1901 census and in 16A Rock Road, Blackrock on the 1911 census. (F) Philip, (W 2nd) Esther, (sons) James, Philip, Daniel, Johney, (daughters) Sarah, Esther and a cousin Rosy Brien.

Philip was my husband's grand father and was born in Stillorgan in 1885 and died in Blackrock in 1947.

I have now sourced the birth certificates for Philip's family and found that he had eleven children of whom five died in childhood. The remaining six were JAMES; PHILIP (husband's grandfather); DANIEL; and step-siblings JOHN; SARAH and ESTHER.

His parents were possibly Daniel Kearney and Elizabeth Toole of Little Bray.
His first wife and Bridget Byrne (daughter of James Byrne/mother unknown of Ballyman, Rathmichael) c1856-1891. Philip remarried in 1892 and his second wife was Esther Carty/Carthy (daughter of Timothy Carthy and Sarah ?? possibly Toole or Grundy) 1866-1925.

Philip Senior was gardener and worked in Glen Druid, Beaufield Mews and Ruby Lodge (later renamed Kensington House) that I am sure of. They lived in various locations between Stillorgan and Bray throughout their lives and were in Carlow in 1886 when Daniel was born.

I have traced members of James' family and I know that John died in WWI.

Esther Kearney married Charles Gallagher (Gardener); both of 16 Rock Road on October 18th 1923 in Booterstown Church

Sarah Kearney married John Vickers (labourer) of Bray, Co. Wicklow on May 3rd 1933 in Cabinteely Church

Daniel Kearney married Anne Smith of 7 Anglesea Buildings, Kingstown on July 13th 1913 in the Church of St. Michael Kingstown No. 1
Daniel lived at 52 Patricks Street Dun Laoghaire in 1920 when his father died and that Sarah lived at St. Catherine's, Rock Road, Blackrock when her mother died in 1925.

My FIL was Patrick Philip B. 1926 d. 1990, His sister was Teresa b. 1923 m. 1942 Laurence Price - no more information

If there is anyone out there who can add more either going back, sideways or forward I'd appreciate it - thanks!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline feathers

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Kearneys Inchicore/Stillorgan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Where does the Inchicore connection come in?  Know some Kearneys there and may be able to help you.
Behan, Ringsend
Kelly, Dublin
Malone, Ringsend
Murphy, Kilkenny
Woods, Kilkenny
Kinsella, Dublin

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 10 09:44 GMT (UK) »

My FIL was Patrick Philip B. 1926 d. 1990, His sister was Teresa b. 1923 m. 1942 Laurence Price - no more information

Philip & Kathleen lived at 52 South Circular Road when they married in the 1920s
They were later at 91 Bulfin Road, Inchicore during the 1930s and for a short period at Rutland Street according to some correspondence I received.
They moved to Mourne Road, Drimnagh in the early 1940s when the houses were built and lived out their lives there.
Teresa was married in Dolphin's Barn Church.
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 10 12:31 GMT (UK) »
I suppose you've looked at the Electoral Registers?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,348383.0.html

Pearse Street Library has them digitised from 1939 to 1964 with gaps.
If it's not easy for you to get there, maybe you could post a request ..

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline feathers

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 November 10 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it's the same Kearneys.  Mine are a Francis (Frank) Kearney in Inchicore but originally from somewhere in Northern Ireland.  He had a sister lived in Glasnevin.  If any of this is relevant let me know and I'll try to point you to a member of the family.
Behan, Ringsend
Kelly, Dublin
Malone, Ringsend
Murphy, Kilkenny
Woods, Kilkenny
Kinsella, Dublin

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 November 10 14:45 GMT (UK) »
eadaoin - I have been through the electoral registers. I started without any knowledge of Teresa and finally found her in records. Still haven't located her family.

feathers - I haven't found a northern connection to date.

Since originally posting this I have located some of James' family. James also lived in Drimnagh for the latter part of his life but som eof his children went to England and I have located people there.

There are still a few "holes" to fill!
Further generations:

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 January 11 20:56 GMT (UK) »
I now know that Teresa Kearney-Price was also known as RITA PRICE
She had 6 children between 1946 and 1959; two girls and four boys
The eldest June Rita Price died aged 7 weeks - the others may still be alive and therefore I won't name them.

EDIT to state: I have located members of this family - thanks to all who helped by PM
As always more information is always welcome
Further generations:

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 12:48 BST (UK) »
I have been contacted by a member of the Price family which will allow me access to more information on this side of the family

My sincere thanks for all the help I've received on the forum and in PMs over the last while in my search. Every snippet has added together to a solution for which I am very grateful.

If anyone else has any information on this family (Kearney, Bourke, Gallagher, Vickers, etc.) please still contact I could still be missing out on that little morsel!!
Further generations:

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 18:49 BST (UK) »
I have located more information on Philip senior's first wife
Bridget Byrne was the daughter of Jacob Byrne (presumably James) and Eliza Doran according to church records
Further generations: