Author Topic: Stewart  (Read 3825 times)

Offline ladyjanners

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stewart
« on: Monday 07 June 10 10:48 BST (UK) »
STEWART  line traced to BRIDGE OF CALLY/KIRKMICHEAL/BALNALD/MOULIN,(perthshire,Scotland)
I am currently researching my STEWART family line and seem to have reached a wall at 1776.!!I do have much more info on all the children of generations,so please contact me if you think you interlink with my tree.

Donald Stewart(born 1778 Moulin) married Helen Peebles 1804 Kirkmicheal.They had 6 children inc James.Donald and Helen lived with their son Henry and his wife Mary(Mcwattie) in Balnald working as farmers.
Donald died in1861 and his death cert shows parents as John Stewart and Margaret Reid,I found a marriage of these two names 23/3/1776 Little Dunkeld.Which is were Im stuck.
I cant find any births/baptisms in relation to John and Margaret.However I found a John Stewart and Ann Reid(m Moulin 1771)who have three children registered including a Donald..born 1/1/1776.???

James Stewart(born 1811 Moulin) married Elizabeth Scott 1839 Moulin,Pitlochry.They lived at Nether Balnald and he worked as a tailor in Balnakeilly until moving to Kirkmicheal.They had 7 children inc William.
James died in 1875,Elizabeth lived with their son,James until she died 1901.

William Stewart married Janet"Jessie"Stalker 1867 Kirkmicheal
They lived at Bridge of Cally,Perthshire approx 1865-1917,where William worked
at Strone house as a coachman,gardener and finally an estate manager living at Cally Mill.
They had 10 children,inc John who is my great grandfather.

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 June 10 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hullo and welcome to rootschat :)

charlotte

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
yes welcome!!

if all these places are in Perthshire (where I am NOT!) then it might be worth moving this (moderator will do) to the perthshire board where more local knowledge /records will be available.

good luck,
Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
just for a quick look on SP:

there is only 1 John Stewart in Little Dunkeld 1750 -1760

bap 22/6/1760 John Stewart  s/o james Stewart & Christian Moon, Little Dunkeld

there are 7 Margaret reids in same time period in Perthshire.

do any of the names of children you have follow Scottish naming patterns which might help (ie 1st son fathers father, 2nd son mothers father etc/ 1st daughter mothers mother, 2nd daughter fathers mother etc)
if so you might be able to work out possible parents names for John & Margaret.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
thank you moderator!! that was very quick & efficient.

Diddy  ;D

Offline ladyjanners

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 21:11 BST (UK) »
thank you,yes ive looked into  the naming pattern.thanks for the reply :)

Offline ladyjanners

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 21:16 BST (UK) »
STEWART  line traced to BRIDGE OF CALLY/KIRKMICHEAL/BALNALD/MOULIN,(perthshire,Scotland)
I am currently researching my STEWART family line and seem to have reached a wall at 1776.!!I do have much more info on all the children of generations,so please contact me if you think you interlink with my tree.

Donald Stewart(born 1778 Moulin) married Helen Peebles 1804 Kirkmicheal.They had 6 children inc James.Donald and Helen lived with their son Henry and his wife Mary(Mcwattie) in Balnald working as farmers.(middle balnald-mains of dounie)
Donald died in1861 and his death cert shows parents as John Stewart and Margaret Reid,I found a marriage of these two names 23/3/1776 Little Dunkeld.Which is were Im stuck.
I cant find any births/baptisms in relation to John and Margaret.However I found a John Stewart and Ann Reid(m Moulin 1771)who have three children registered including a Donald..born 1/1/1776.???

James Stewart(born 1811 Moulin) married Elizabeth Scott 1839 Moulin,Pitlochry.They lived at Nether Balnald and he worked as a tailor in Balnakilly until moving to Kirkmicheal.They had 7 children inc William.
James died in 1875,Elizabeth lived with their son,James until she died 1901.

William Stewart married Janet"Jessie"Stalker 1867 Kirkmicheal
They lived at Bridge of Cally,Perthshire approx 1865-1917,where William worked
at Strone house as a coachman,gardener and finally an estate manager living at Cally Mill.
They had 10 children,inc John who is my great grandfather.

Offline ladyjanners

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 21:17 BST (UK) »
thanks,could you move me to perthshire.

Offline glensheild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Are you aware if William Stewart / Jessie Stalker had a son called James born 1867 who married Euphemia Russell in 1909 in Falkirk.