Author Topic: Help finding Sussex convict.  (Read 4470 times)

Offline jojodyso

• My emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Member
  • Off for the Holidays, Country NSW c;1938.
    • View Profile
Help finding Sussex convict.
« on: Monday 07 June 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have a convict ancestor who was sentanced to Death at the Horsham Assizes in 1807 which was later commuted to transportation for life, his daughter was also sentanced with him she came to Australia in 1808, but I can't find any trace of her father being transported anywhere.
Where were the prisoners put while waiting to be transported? He was 61 when tried so he might have died before being transported.
His name was Cephas Tree B; c1746 Brighton Sussex, his daughter Mary was born :1785 Brighton, Sussex.
If he died while in prison waiting transportion where would they bury him? in a prison cemetery? would there be a record of his death?
I am at my wits end with this guy!!!!!!
If anyone can help or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Joanna
Tree-Brighton. Kennedy-Scotland/Ireland. Day- Hampshire

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding Sussex convict.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 June 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna.   Further to your renewed correspondence to that that appeared on this site during November of last year.

Instead of prison, those awaiting transportation were often put aboard redundant wooden ships (called Hulks) moored in Naval dockyards.  Those from Horsham Assizes were frequently sent to Chatham or Portsmouth, but I could not tell you what happened to them if they subsequently died in either of those locations.

Another website also suggests that the family surname became or was formerly ATTREE which could make him, his parents and his siblings as follows:

Parents
His father Cephas (born in Brighton c 1716) and mother Mary (or Martha) nee Light (b Southampton c1725) married in Southampton on 16 June 1745.
Their Children
1. Cephas (Tree) Attree,   b. CIR 1746, Brighton, Sussex,
2. Martha (Tree) Attree,   b. CIR 1748, Brighton, Sussex,
The parents then relocated to the Hastings area and the settlement cirtificate you have found dated 1750 may explain why they were obliged to move.
Whilst in Hastings they added the following children to the family.
3. Anne (Tree) Attree,   b. CIR 1751, Hastings, Sussex,
4. Mary (Tree) Attree,   b. CIR 1752, Hastings, Sussex,
5. Betty (Tree) Attree,   b. CIR 1754, Hastings, Sussex,

The IGI has your Cephas' first marriage to a Mary Kent (Brighton 1777) and a second marriage to the widow Hannah Taylor/Bridgeham in Brighton on 6 sept 1793.
The site above then lists his children as:-
1. Mary (Tree) Attree,   b. CIR 1785, Brighton, Sussex,
2. James (Tree) Attree,   b. 14 Dec 1787, Brighton, Sussex,
3. John (Tree) Attree,   b. CIR 1789, Brighton, Sussex,
4. George (Tree) Attree,   b. CIR 1792, Brighton, Sussex,

The grandparents (Stephen & Elizabeth) are shown as coming from Street, near Ditchling.

If this is your Cephas's line, perhaps you should conduct another search for him in the convict records, but under the alternative surname of Attree. 

Roy G

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna,

I think it would be a good idea for you to contact West Sussex record office and enquire there.  They may hold further information.
Dancy Dancey Crowter Binney Outred Cowdry Bowmer Kensett Alderton Akers Killick

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 17:40 BST (UK) »
Looking through Google docs reveals the following, but as per my previous suggestion, hopefully West Sussex Record Office may hold further subsequent information.

Brighton Herald, March 21st 1807

The Assizes for this County, before the Lord Chief baron and Mr. Justice Heath, commenced at
Horsham on Monday last, and concluded at about four o’clock in the afternoon of Tuesday. The
following prisoners were tried, convicted, and received sentence of death :—
Robert Bignall, Cephas and Mary Tree, Anna Dalloway, Thomas Hewins, Henry Hedgcock,
Richard Boots, James Hope, Henry Christian, James Vaughan Everall, and Elizabeth Erridge.

James Hope and Henry Christian, were found guilty, the former for stealing a sheep, value 25s.
the property of James Dippery Willard and Nicholas Willard, from the grounds of John Bryant in
the parish of Rotherfield; and the latter for stealing a sheep, value 20s. the property of Mr. John
Fry, of Mayfield.

The above convicts were brought to the bar to receive the awful sentence of the law, about twenty
minutes before two o’clock on Tuesday. The judge, in the most solemn manner, stated the
heinousness of their crimes, and concluded with adjudging that they should be severally hanged by
the neck until they were dead.

Of the ten above condemned to die, eight were reprieved by the judge before he left the town. —
Bignall and Cephas Tree being only left for execution.

~~~~~~~~----------------------------

Sussex Weekly Advertiser, March 23rd 1807
At our Assizes, which ended on Tuesday last, at Horsham before the Lord Chief Baron and Mr
Justice Heath, 26 prisoners were tried, 11 of whom were capitally convicted and received
sentence of death, viz.

Henry Christian, and James Hope alias Mitchell, for sheep-stealing

All the above unhappy convicts were reprieved before the Judges left the town, except Robert
Bignall, and Cephas Tree, who were left for execution.

Offline jojodyso

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for all that information.  I am writing to the Sussex records office for any information about Cephas.
Where else were convicts transported to apart from Australia?

Cheers
Joanna

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 02:19 BST (UK) »
According to the Criminal Registers his death sentence appears to have been commuted to transportation for life.

The Pilotfamilysearch site has a burial for a Cephus TREE at Brighthelmstone, 11 Feb 1816, with age of 70, which is a birth year of 1746, which could be him.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 08:25 BST (UK) »
Email address for West Sussex Record office, if you need it:
Email: records.office@westsussex.gov.uk

Offline jojodyso

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 June 10 11:19 BST (UK) »
According to the Criminal Registers his death sentence appears to have been commuted to transportation for life.

The Pilotfamilysearch site has a burial for a Cephus TREE at Brighthelmstone, 11 Feb 1816, with age of 70, which is a birth year of 1746, which could be him.

Ian C

Thanks for that Ian this seems to be the right one, I have tried transportation searches for Cephas Tree/Attree and have had no luck so it seems likely that he died while in prison. If he died in prison would he be buried at a church or somewhere else?

CHeers
Joanna

Offline karla87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 September 17 11:34 BST (UK) »
hi this is my family too I have been doing my family tree. would love to know how we all fit in