Author Topic: Stewarts of Corriecravie 1881 census  (Read 10057 times)

Offline Su Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stewarts of Corriecravie 1881 census
« on: Monday 07 June 10 21:45 BST (UK) »
I have come across the 1881 census list for my G G G Grandparents John and Catherine Stewart at Corriecravie, Kilmory Parish,  Isle of Arran.  However, my G G Gran isn't mentioned.  Her name was also Catherine and she was born on the 25th December, 1862.  She would therefore have been 19 years old, and possibly elsewhere on the Island.  Any chance of checking?
Thanks

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stewarts of Corriecravie 1881 census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 June 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Su,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Looks like she was a servant elsewhere in the parish:

North Feorline, Kilmory

Malcolm Hamilton Head 36 Farmer 70 Acres 40 Arable employing 1 Man 1 boy 1 girl b Kilmory
Jane Hamilton wife 29 b Kilmory
Elizabeth S. Hamilton 4 b Kilmory
Matthew Hamilton wid Father 80 retired farmer Kilmory
Lachlan McN Hamilton son 6 mo b Kilmory
Matthew Hamilton son 2 bKilmory
Duncan McLeish 15 Farm servant b England
Catherine Stewart 18 domestic servant b Kilmory
Matthew Rae Farm servant 23 b Dalry, Ayr

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Su Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 June 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information.  Just what I thought.  Any chance of checking the 1891 census for Corriecravie? :)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 June 10 21:34 BST (UK) »
For anyone in particular?  Several households at Corriecravie if I remember correctly.

Nell

Offline Su Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 June 10 20:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry my mistake .  Didn't realise there was more than one dwelling at Corriecravie .  1881 census for my g g g grandparents just states dwelling 'Corriecravie'.  However,  I am looking for Johhn Stewart farmer M81 his wife Catherine F50 and their children John M25, Alexander M21, Margaret F18, James M13 and Duncan M10.  I realise some of the older children will probably have left, and I am particularly trying to discover if any of the brothers emigrated to America.  The only brother I can rule out is Duncan as I know that he lived in Lamlash.  I have a photograph of a John Stewart in US Army uniform circa 1904-1919, and my mum thinks this was a cousin.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks a bunch. 

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 June 10 21:36 BST (UK) »
Catherine seems to be a widow by 1891 still at Corriecravie, with Margaret aged 18 and Duncan aged 9.

Alexander seems to be a servant elsewhere on the island, but I have to say that Stewart is a very common name.  :-\

Nell

Offline Chudleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 18:52 BST (UK) »
The Stuarts were living at Corriecravie House in 1891.  The house is still standing (perhaps up for sale just now, it certainly is not occupied permanently.)  Our holiday house is opposite it and I'm presently trying to find out more about its history.  I can send you a photo of Corriecravie House when we're next down there - do you have any information about your relatives when they lived in Arran?

Offline Su Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the information regarding Corriecravie.  I live in Ayrshire, so I do visit Arran.  Unfortunately, my family no longer has any ties on the Island, but my mother was born there, and I had many an enjoyable holiday on the Island visiting my grandparents when I was young.  I know take my children over, but didn't know the connection with Corriecravie until recently.  My Great Great Grandmother Catherine Stewart married an Andrew Hyslop who was a shepherd on the Sannox Estate, and they lived at High Sannox.  They went on to have five children, one of them being my Great Grandmother Margaret Hyslop who lived latterly in Lamlash, and whom I had the pleasure to know as she lived to the ripe old age of 97.

Offline Kiltie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 19:03 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this family is one and the same as the John Stewart and Flora Cumming who were in Bennecarrigan, Kilmory parish in the early 1800s? They certainly had a son James.

The above John may have settled there from Bute.