Author Topic: William Mark grave photo request, Inverarity Churchyard  (Read 5824 times)

Offline forfarlass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Mark grave photo request, Inverarity Churchyard
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 June 10 09:28 BST (UK) »
Morning to you Lindsay

I will be going to attempt this for you in about an hour or so, so will come back later today to let you know how successful I was !  It is very large and of course being a church, is not like a cemetery which would be manned

Rest assured I will endeavour to locate the headstone - assuming one was erected - and take a photograph for you

Jane

Offline forfarlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 June 10 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Tunjiless

You will read my reply to indsay so I will attempt to do the same for you.  If the Minister is around, then he may direct me to the lair/lairs if there are no stones

Chat later

Offline forfarlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 June 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
Helo Tunjiless

As promised, we went to the Kirk this morning.  The good news is, there was a maintenance man on site so we found the lair

The sad news is, yes there is a stone, but the markings are erased with the passing of time

I will now attempt to attach the photo for you, so here goes.....

Offline forfarlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 June 10 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Lindsay

Well, as promised, we went to Inverarity this morning.  I am afraid I do not have good news for you

We spent 3 hours doing the whole cemetery and there is not one single stone bearing the names you are looking for !  There are no Mark families at all !

I can only suggest you contact Angus council Burials direct and ask if their Parks Superintendent could go to the Kirk sometime and track it down.  The lairs are not marked with numbers but even if they were, there still are no Mark surnames

I am sorry not to have been able to give you better news, but I did try

Kind Regards
Jane

Offline Ghobhainn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 June 10 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
             firstly thanks for going to all that trouble. I'll have another look at the burial details, perhaps it's not the right churchyard, is there a general cemetery for Forfar Inverarity that would date at least back to beginning of the 1900's? Yes there wouldn't be many other Mark families, there was only William & Annie & family who were for a few years Tennants at Newton of Fothringham farm house. They originally came all the way over from Paisley Renfrew. I wonder if a portion of the kirkyard was resumed or not, anyway that's the way things are sometimes, a bit unfortunate, especially for your time spent there, but thankyou once again having a search, I may try the council as mention,
Greatly appreciated,
Lindsay
Tyzack/Tyzick: Sheffield Yorkshire ENG,
Wishaw Lanarkshire SCOT;
Smith: Clifton Conisbrough Yorkshire ENG,
Cromarty shire & Cadder Lanark SCOT.
Firth: Doncaster & Rotherham Yorkshire ENG;
Morrison: Rutherglen & Cadder Lanark SCOT;
McGuire: Shotts West Lothian SCOT;
Mark(s): Tyrone & Antrim IRE &
Balfron Stirling, Paisley Renfrew SCOT.

Offline Ghobhainn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
               Yes according to the records for William & Annie Mark on deceasedonline.com, they were interred in the  cemetery of Inverarity churchyard, which appears to be a short distance west of Fothringham farm house estate. So were are their graves? I'm not familiar with the cemetery, how close it is to roads etc, so I don't know whether  recently in the past it has been subject to any resummations for council roads & some graves lost, though you would think fairly recent graves wouldn't be touched for road widening! What really would be helpful is map with the cemetery layout for Inverarity Kirk. It's really strange that buials have been recorded with lair no.s but there's no corresponding no. markers in the churchyard, certainly isn't very helpful is it? If anyone knows of map online, drop me a line,
Thanks again
Lindsay

update: found also Anna or Anne Mark 37 years, daughter of the above buried 15.04.1943 Lair 286 Ext plan 1'- 6" south of pin no.8 (head) & pin no. 1(foot), so must be next to the parents.

Lindsay
Wishaw Lanarkshire SCOT;

Offline forfarlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 09:14 BST (UK) »
Morning Lindsay

There are 2 parts to Inverarity - the new part of the cemetery and the old.  We walked both !  Are you actually 100% positive the graves are marked?

I mean, if there are no headstones/markings, then it could be anywhere in the cemetery and there were certainly plenty burials which were unmarked

You need to establish that because without that information, no one without a detailed lair plan of the ground, would find them !

If you are 100% positive there are headstones, then it is not Inverarity, unless we are going blind...hahaha.  Trust me, after walking it, we were seeing things!

Kindest Regards
Jane

Offline Ghobhainn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
             Initially I thought there might be a memorial stone of some kind,  in conisideration of the burial records, & the usual assumption that from the mid to late 1900's, to the present, folk usually always have a stone placed, if they can afford it. Perhaps it could be because the family had children buried over in a Parish in Dumbartonshire where they originally lived. The main thing is that's where they are, so I'm happy with that. I'll soon talk to some of my relies about as I've got touch with them,

Thanks again Jane for the search.
Lindsay
Wishaw Lanarkshire SCOT;

Offline forfarlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 10:37 BST (UK) »
hI lINDSAY.   Yes, it is a natural reaction to assume there is a marked headstone because of the "newness".   However, I fear it may be, there just was not the funds to purchase one and therefore, we would only be looking at a piece of ground, unmarked, and where your ancestors lie

By the way, we know the Fothringhams....nice folk, but elderly now !!

Take care and good luck in the future