Author Topic: Willie gowans butcher from west calder  (Read 9830 times)

Offline jls1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Willie gowans butcher from west calder
« on: Tuesday 08 June 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
hi am new here does anyone know of him and his wife chrissie he also has a sister ella and sons jim and george

jim jervis worked there too

ma wee auntie worked for him for years also ma grandad was william davidson born 1887 in mossend and his mother was christina gowans born 1863 married to a john davidson

a just wondered if willie was related

thanks

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Willie gowans butcher from west calder
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I knew Wullie Gowans the Butcher and his sons, was at school with George, I've got the West Calder Gowans line back to about 1740, but don't know if Wullie was of that line - I'd need to know his parents names, he was married to Christina Tennant, they married in Armadal in 1947.   

Christina Gowans was the daughter of John Gowans and Janet Graham, though her marriage cert gives her mother's name as Isabella.  Someone got confused.    Christina is the same line as the Gowans line I have, she was born April 1863 in Jarg Toll West Calder.  Her parents married in 1865 in West Calder, Janet's parents were James Graham and Christina Douglas, John's parents were Peter Gowans and Catherine Burnett.

I know the Jervis family too.  My Dad was a postman in West Calder.

cheers ...  Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline jls1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 13:41 BST (UK) »
hiya

christina gowans and john davidson were my grandad william davidsons parents

I have her birth certificate marraige lines and death cetificate

I have the gowans back to 1740 and all their weans!!

How are you related to the gowans? I dont know wullie parents names.

Is he buried in burngrange? my auntie margaret trained up jim jervis in the shop did you know her?

do you know the davidsons, here from you soon

shona

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Shona,

I've the gowans going back to 1740 but don't know if I have all of their children, as not all of them were recorded, and sometimes the pop out of the woordwork even yet!!    Agnes Gowans daughter of John Gowans and Margaret Anderson had an illegitimate child by one of my Calders, Margaret - both of them had a hard life.

I'll need to get Wullie's parents next time I'm in Registry House and see if he fits into the West Calder Gowans - though many of theme were builders.

I would imagine that Wullie is in Burngrange - I'm transcribing the Burial Records at the moment, but feel sure that he died after 1975, therefore unless they had a plot in the older section he'll be in the new extension!!

I know some Davidson's - Sandra Davidson is a friend of my sister's her father was Jim.

I don't know your Aunt Margaret, but if she was "Cauther" then she'd know my father as he was weel kent in Cauther - Rab Graham the post!!

cheers ... Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline jls1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 July 10 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hiya Meg

Sorry for later reply a had visitors down from scotland? Yer dad would have known ma auntie margaret she was a wee women originally from blackburn then east whitburn then she went to canada in 1967 for 20 years and wullie was still alive then as we used to go up to the shop to see him!!

Ma davidson was ma auntie agnes she was disabled ma dad was Sam and ma uncle wullie plus a load more!!

You must be about same age as me. did you go to the poly dancing?
Before a came down here a stayed in harburn drive.

Ma granny davidson was illegitamate her mother was rebecca mcnaught who then married john marr in 1905 and had 8 weans to him!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know any marrs?

Shona

Offline jls1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I knew Wullie Gowans the Butcher and his sons, was at school with George, I've got the West Calder Gowans line back to about 1740, but don't know if Wullie was of that line - I'd need to know his parents names, he was married to Christina Tennant, they married in Armadal in 1947.   

Christina Gowans was the daughter of John Gowans and Janet Graham, though her marriage cert gives her mother's name as Isabella.  Someone got confused.    Christina is the same line as the Gowans line I have, she was born April 1863 in Jarg Toll West Calder.  Her parents married in 1865 in West Calder, Janet's parents were James Graham and Christina Douglas, John's parents were Peter Gowans and Catherine Burnett.

I know the Jervis family too.  My Dad was a postman in West Calder.

cheers ...  Meg

Hiya Meg

Ma cousin was in Edinburgh today she got Wullies death certificate he was born 4th april 1923 and died 25th june 1990 he was 67 he married Christina Cunningham Tennant in 1947 like you said!

He died of throat cancer and the informant was James his son

Wullies dad was James Gowans he was a ploughman and his mum was Isabella Ferguson so do you think they are our Gowans?

Shona

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 July 10 18:44 BST (UK) »
hello Shona,

Had a wedding this weekend (we made the cake) so been a bit busy, sorry for delay James Gowans/Isabella Ferguson, James parents were William Gowans/Jessie (Jeanie) Russell, William's parents were James Gowans and Jane Dunlop - can't find any connection to any of the Cauther ones as yet, but ran out of time!

Won't get a chance this weekend either, as my cousins from Shetland are at our caravan this week and we're going up there at the Weekend to have right good blether with them!!

cheers ...  Meg

Offline jls1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 July 10 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Meg

Have a great time at the weekend its pooring here!!

Am coming up on 19th september for a week av been looking at a few of their grave stones. Do you know any of the marrs and also ma auntie agnes davidson she married michael diamond he was her second man.

Christina gowans is buried wi her son peter he was 35 when he died, John Davidson her man died on 17th march 1900 in south africa in the boar war. How would a find out if there are any more in that grave?

Im going into hospital on sunday for a week am gonny ask if a can take the laptop wi me

Love Shona

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 July 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Shona

I'm transcribing all the of the West Calder Burial Records and have been the last couple of months - I've done from 1867 and am at 1923, I've til 1943 to do - 1944 til 1975 have been distributed to other folk (mad about that) in West Lothian Family History Soc - but I've also taken lots and lots of photos of Burngrange ..........  give me your names and I'll check out what I have.

It's chucking down stair rods here - hope your hospital stay isn't traumatic - and they let you take the laptop!!

better get on .....   cheers ...  Meg x