Author Topic: Common Edge, Market Drayton  (Read 5470 times)

Offline Jimson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Common Edge, Market Drayton
« on: Wednesday 09 June 10 07:46 BST (UK) »
Has anyone ever heard of a street or house name "Common Edge" or similar in Market Drayton?  It was given in a 1943 death certificate though "Common" is not 100% certain owing to poor handwriting. I'm pretty sure of "Edge".

I can't find anyything likely in handy street list at http://www.proviser.com/regional/towns/market_drayton/street_maps/

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Jimson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Common Edge, Market Drayton
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 23:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'd thought of a Common but it's odd that the death certificate address (4 Common Edge if I read Common right) does not exist in the list of Market Drayton street names.  I'll just have to go there and ask around.  In pubs, for example.

Offline ChrisWibs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 July 10 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry to have to say it appears that address was the old Workhouse. It was supposed to be an address to conceal the fact that people had been born or died in the workhouse and was not a real address.
I am a little surprised at the date you mention as my grandfather died in the old workhouse in 1950, by then called Quarry House a National Assistance Institution which many of the old workhouses became after 1930 and his death certificate indicates he was of Quarry House. I am looking into this further.
Quarry House is near Little Drayton though as I was directed to Little Drayton to find grandad's grave and that of his sister.
 :D

Offline Jimson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 July 10 18:26 BST (UK) »
Oddly enough I heard from another contact today that "4 Common Edge" was the euphemistic street address of the workhouse created to disguise its function.  I don't know if that was standard practice for workhouses.

My ancestor died at 4 Common Edge in 1943 according to his death certificate (though his home address is given as Shrewsbury) by which time the workhouse as an institution if not a building had gone, having been replaced in about 1930 by a public assistance institution known at some point, presumably after 1943, as Quarry House. 

Why the son of an old wealthy aristocratic family should have ended up destitute is a mystery.

Many thanks, Chris.

Offline ChrisWibs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 July 10 18:34 BST (UK) »
Presumably your heard off SFHS website?  :)

Offline Jimson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 July 10 19:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, indeed.  Had some help there, too.  A lively forum.

Offline ChrisWibs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 July 10 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I find it odd that some 13 years after the workhouse system was abolished that the euphemistic address was used.

My grandfather died in Quarry house in 1950 and I know that he also lived there. On the certificate everything is down as Quarry House. It was in fact my father who did the registering, rather than someone from the institution which may explain it.

I have a friend whose grandfather also died there in 1952. In fact he and my grandfather were connected by marriage and would certainly have known each other.  I will ask her what it says on the certificate.

All being in Quarry House at the time you mention would have meant is that your ancestor couldn't afford to be in a private home or hospital, not necessarily that he was destitute.

Offline Jimson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 March 15 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Chris.  Just tying up loose ends etc.  Market Drayton's Quarry House, a National Assistance Institution, succeeded the Union Workhouse in 1930 but was it a still a workhouse in all but name in 1943 when my great-grandfather died there? I've read that such Institutions were abolished eventually, certainly when the NHS was created.
Brian