Author Topic: Link: unpublished Kirkheaton church transcripts 1538 to 1652  (Read 16860 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Link: unpublished Kirkheaton church transcripts 1538 to 1652
« on: Friday 11 June 10 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hello All

A long shot in the dark.

I was told about the Kirkheaton unpublished 17 th century private transcribed Parish church register 1547-1652 existed somewhere. These are not the BT's that started 1600 held at the Borthwick institute York uni

I asked about them at YAS at Caremont house and was shown a book that covered the dates stating about these Transcripts 1547 to 1652 for Kirkheaton but I was busy with something else and put it off that day. Since then I have phoned  the YAS and they say! It must have been the 1600 Kirkheaton BTs and the lady who showed me was off sick! anyway she was back today and said the same as her colleagues as must have been BTs 1600 onwards. The reason at the time! I said it must be the 1600  Kirkheaton BTs and she said No!! its 1547-1652 private transcriptions of the Kirkheaton church register 17 th century and showed me!and the original was now lost in past time..

Has any one else heard of the Kirkheaton PRs church Private transcriptions 1547 to 1652

Alot of the early kirkheaton, Thornhill ,Lepton, Whitley and Almondbury records are held at Bristol and Lichfield also some in Nottingham as Archbishop of York records. The 1600's onward terrier records are at Borthwick York
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: unpubished Kirkheaton church transcripts 1547 to 1652
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 June 10 04:24 BST (UK) »
Definitely not heard of this, but I would like to know if they do exist, as I am researching my CASTLE or CASTELL and also ADDY ancestors from this time period in Kirkheaton.

The only thing I could find in the West Yorkshire Achives Catalogue was the following entry:

Catalogue finding number      MS517
Title    KIRKHEATON, ARCHBISHOPS' TRANSCRIPTS
Description    Relating to the registers of Kirkheaton at York from 1600-1641, odd years are missing, also abstracts of Kirkheaton wills at York from 1389 and a few from the Prerogative Court of Canterbury and correspondence relating to Kirkheaton Charities
Date    [17th century]
Subject    WILLS
CHARITIES
DIOCESAN RECORDS
REGISTERS
Related Material    Registers preserved at the Rectory commence in 1653.
Location of archives    Yorkshire Archaeological Society GB 207
Extent    1 volume

See http://catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/advanced.aspx?src=DServe.Catalog

thanks,
Sharon in OZ
ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon
Place study Bury, Lancashire, England
https://www.facebook.com/groups/254654168295296/

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: unpublished Kirkheaton church transcripts 1547 to 1652
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 June 10 04:51 BST (UK) »

Hi Sharon,

Its like the Robin Hood legend as I have heard of it a few times around the archives in the UK by other people visiting but no one can pin point where it is - Told by their granddad or old Fred told them but he's now dead- etc-etc-etc.

Scream!!!!

Dobby
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 June 10 05:14 BST (UK) »
http://www.calmview.eu/WY/dserve.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&search=advanced&dsqCmd=Search.tcl

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/

In the search engines above

put Kirkheaton parish or just Kirkheaton

put Penistone parish or just Penistone

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 June 10 05:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dobby for that top link, I've been looking for it for 2 days....
cheers,
sharon
ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 June 10 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

I have spoken to the lady at YAS Leeds and she has relooked up the PR index book and It seems we looked on the wrong line as Kirkheaton was above with Start year 1600 BTand Kirkburton start year 1540.

Word has it? the 1550 ish 1652 private Transcript is held in the Beaumont of Whitley records private collection. Where ever that is ???

These are some but not all

http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/bihr/guideleaflets/guidediocreg.pdf

http://www.archive.org/details/beaumontpapersle00roxb

http://www.rotherhamweb.co.uk/genealogy/beaumont.htm

Sorry to have mislead you.

Dobby

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 June 10 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
not sure if this is anything, could just be a mistake ....found on google books

Parish register copies, Part 1‎ - Page 21
Society of Genealogists (Great Britain) - Reference - 1980 - 44 pages
<snipped>  KIRKHEATON Yorks M (I) 1538-1600. ....

Note also there is rumour of a peculiar Court at Kirkheaton for which the wills have gone missing...

cheers,
Sharon
ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 June 10 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

Thanks

That could be the source of the rumour of what I have heard about any pre 1653 parish entries in Kirkheaton from any record.  I'll make enquires but could be a mistake (typing error) on years.

Richard Horton of Harrogate is the foremost on Kirkheaton Parish history and has uncovered a lot of unknown to the large populous with things like grave plans, sexton records & unknown info- from various repositories around the UK. Therefore this may not be wildgoose chase as it may seem on first glances. Richard loves solving mysteries

There was a lady in the USA who was adamant her ancestor Henry Beaumont was born/bapt 1816 Holmfirth and had posted on websites for this info for over 10 years. One day! two years ago I was in the WYAS repository in Wakefield looking in an Overseers account book looking up other info!, this book was jet black with dust on it and from the back in (Upside down backwards in) was a list of  BMDs from Holmfirth old workhouse and found Henry Beaumont birth entry in 1816 and no other record of these events anywhere and since then! they have been put on mirco F/Fiche.

One never knows! :)

Dobby

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 June 10 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
not sure if this is anything, could just be a mistake ....found on google books

Parish register copies, Part 1‎ - Page 21
Society of Genealogists (Great Britain) - Reference - 1980 - 44 pages
<snipped>  KIRKHEATON Yorks M (I) 1538-1600. ....

Note also there is rumour of a peculiar Court at Kirkheaton for which the wills have gone missing...
cheers,
Sharon

The old Wakefield court rolls have thick black dust on them in YAS Claremont house Leeds and the are last time I was there- there was an old Gentleman who was looking at one and he looked like a coal miner when he finished.

Nottingham!

http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/bihr/guideleaflets/ProbateRecords_wheretofind.pdf

One possibility is that is was proved in the Prerogative Court of York (records at the
Borthwick), or the Prerogative Court of Canterbury will (Family Record Centre, 1
Myddleton Street, London, EC1R 1UW).
There were also a few places in Nottinghamshire that came under peculiar
jurisdictions e.g. Apesthorpe and Bole so it may be worth checking the indexes to
these records, again at the Borthwick.
Registered copies of Nottinghamshire wills survive in the probate registers which
remain at the Borthwick. If an original Nottinghamshire will is missing it may well be
that we can provide a copy of the registered will, although not any associated
documentation.
�� Other places in the Northern Province
diocese of Chester, Carlisle, Durham; counties Cheshire, Lancashire, Westmorland, Cumberland,