Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Two stepbrothers of Walter Williams, who both died in WWI  (Read 2017 times)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
This is one of many hopelessly optimistic attempts I'm making to jump start two leads relating the Llanelly Williams family in this thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=455978.msg

Walter Williams is my great grandfather, via his second marriage. I know there are (were?) two other second cousins researching this family, and I'm posting this in the (vain?) hope that one of them will find this page while Googling. Who knows, they may even be on RootsChat!

Here's the details of my two leads:

1) At http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southwest/sites/familyhistory/pages/canyouhelp2.shtml (scroll down to the entry headed "... looking for family in Llanelli")

"wondering if anyone can help me. I am researching my paternal greatgrandfather Walter Williams. His first marriage was to a Mary (surname unknown) I know that they had two sons, William Edward Williams, who was killed october 1917 in the battle of Ypres and served with the Australian army. I think I have found the second son, David Joseph Williams, who was killed september 1917 on the HMS Contest which was destroyed in the english channel by a German U Boat. I have two known address's for Walter and Mary, ... and .... Walters second marriage was to a Catherine Lewis and they hadpossibly four children, the names I have are Mary Bronwen, Walter, Benjamin and Blodwen ... Catherine Lewis had a illigitamit daughter called Bronwen who died when she was very young. If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated"

2) At http://www.GenesReunited.co.uk/community/posts/538498/default.aspx?px=0#642397

"I am trying to trace information about my Great Grandfather Walter Williams. He had two marriages, first to Mary they had two sons, William Edward Williams and I think a David Joseph Williams, both where killed within a month of each other in WW1. He then married a Catherine Lewis from Ton Pentre (she had a daughter called Bronwen who died young) and they had four children that I know of. Mary Bronwen, Walter, Benjamin and Blodwen ... Any information would be greatly appreciated."

Pete

Moderator comment: if you can help, please reply on the original thread, to avoid duplication
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline aussienl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Two stepbrothers of Walter Williams, who both died in WWI
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 June 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
One relative has found you!
Williams/Thomas family Wales/Llannelli

Offline aussienl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Two stepbrothers of Walter Williams, who both died in WWI
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 June 10 20:12 BST (UK) »
Did Walter also have a daughter in his first marriage with his sons William and David ?
I am also not sure if Mary was his first or second wife? She is listed as the mother on the australian war certificates I have, but then noticed in the 1901 census that she was listed as wife then, and there was more children?
Maybe I am not looking at it right?
Williams/Thomas family Wales/Llannelli

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
Re: *COMPLETED* Two stepbrothers of Walter Williams, who both died in WWI
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 November 10 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed that I'd left this thread open, so it's time to close it.
Despite my initial doubt, we've been very successful on this little side-track.
Not only did we find the mystery poster, but we now have the WWI service records of both David Joseph Williams and William Edward Williams.
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)