Author Topic: TRESTRAIL from Hayle, Cornwall  (Read 19489 times)

Offline strayer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TRESTRAIL from Hayle, Cornwall
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 22:01 BST (UK) »
The parents of William were John Trestrail & Elizabeth Hosking. They were married in Phillack on 3 March 1811. John was buried 6 Aug 1824 aged 40 whilst Elizabeth was buried 12 Aug 1850 age 58 ( both Phillack). Their children were:
John bapt 7 June 1811 Phillack
Richard bapt 13 Sept 1812 Phillack married Elizabeth Mia Struges Penrose 23 Nov 1835 Phillack
Elizabeth bapt 12 Mar 1815 Phillack
William bapt 8 March 1818 Phillack married Eliza Powning 1843
James bapt 7 May 1820  Phillack
Thomas bapt 9 March 1823 Phillack married Charlotte Curtis 27 Aug1846 Phillack

Albert was the son of Thomas & Charlotte.
Elizabeth Ann was in a Blind Institute in Plymouth in 1881 with 18 other boarders.
1881 RG11/2206 folio 73 page 8 ed 4 sch 42  56&57 St Aubyn St + 21&22 Market St
Elizabeth A, boarder, unm,31, chaircaner, Phillack, blind

Trestrail or Trestrayle as it was first spelt  is also a place name near Probus. Early mention of the family in the C16 appear in Veryan, Creed & Kenwyn (neighbouring parishes) & then, in the C17, spread out a bit further. The Trestrails of Redruth can be placed into three families- the earliest in 1714.
Dave
Trestrail

Offline strayer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 19 June 10 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,
The medal in the photo is the 1914-15 Star. A good link on who was entitled to it can be found on http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/ww1_1914_15star.httm. The other two medals that are common for someone that served during WW1 are the Victory Medal 1914-19 & British War Medal.
Another translation for the initials "LSRN" may be "Leading Seaman Royal Navy"
By the way the Navy was also serving as solders in the trenches in France (under the names of Navy ships!)
Dave
Trestrail

Offline strayer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 31 December 10 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Check out "UK, Naval Medal & Award Rolls 1793- 1972" on Ancestry. It shows :
Trestrail Percy,AB,222034 issued with Star, Victory Medal, Bristish War Medal.
Any luck with Percy's birth cert yet?

Dave
Trestrail

Offline trestrail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 19:41 BST (UK) »
Grandfather was Percival Powning Trestrail born Feb. 26th 1886 married to Bessie Knight born March 29th 1893.  They lived at 5 Clifton Terrace in Hayle - row housing  My grandfather was a mariner and worked with the British Navy for 20 years.  They had one son, my father, William Percival Trestrail - born Jan. 7 1924.  They sailed to New York around 1928.

I THOUGHT my grandfather, Percival Trestrail's parents were Albert Trestrail (born around 1860) and Minnie (Jenkin) Trestrail. They lived on Bodriggy Rd. in Hayle.   It's like my grandfather's parents just vanished with no records.  It also seems he lived with his grandfather and grandmother at age 15.  Maybe while he was on the naval ships at a young age, something happened to his parents.  But why no record.  I will have to find or purchase his birth certificate.

UPDATE:  MY GRANDFATHER'S MOTHER WAS ELIZA EMILY (MINNIE) TRESTRAIL - NO FATHER LISTED.  HE LIVED WITH HIS MOTHER & HIS GRANDPARENTS UNTIL ELIZA GOT MARRIED TO A WILLIAM HENRY JENKIN IN 1893 AND MY GRANDFATHER CONTINUTED TO LIVE WITH HIS GRANDPARENTS - WILLIAM AND ELIZA TRESTRAIL. 

I was told my great grandparents are buried in the  Hayle church graveyard, but I could not find their tombstone in 1990 when I visited the church. 

Bessie (Knight) Trestrail's father was John Thomas Knight of Hayle.  I didn't have a record of Bessie Knight Trestrail's mother, but thanks to this great site, I found out today that her name was Bessie (Tremlett) Knight.   

Percival and Bessie Trestrail were married in

Parash Phillack of Hayle
S. Elwyn Vicarage
Wesleyian
P.E. & Berry - Pastor
on Feb. 3rd 1923   

My grandfather, Percival Powning Trestrail, was in the Royal Navy.  He sailed out of St. Ives either to come to America or with the Navy.  We were told he was only SEVEN when he boarded the Naval ships, trained,  and took off to sea.  I think that is incorrect.  They made laws to protect young children, except under odd circumstances or pauper laws. 

Once in New York, my father went to New York City public schools, and he met my Mother whose family was from Cambourne, Cornwall.  My mother's name was Elizabeth Joan Gill.  That will be under another subject title.  Mother's grandfather's surname was Uren.  Mother's mother, Rubina Uren married Horace Gill of Cambourne.

My parents William and Elizabeth (Gill) Trestrail had two children, my Brother James William Trestrail, and myself, Linda Joan Trestrail.  

I had lots of family documents and gave them to my two sons inside two leather bound family tree books and both of them misplaced or tossed out the books. I'm devastated over their loss.

In August 1990, I had been to Cornwall, Cambourne, Hayle and visited Phillack, and the minister took me to a Trestrail family who lived on the sea.  Ken and Rachael Trestrail lived at 82 Gwithian Towans in Hayle. They were not related to my family. 

Trestrail - from tre-strayl:  homestead of mat or carpet (maker).  Place name Trestrail,  Probus, spelt Trestrael 1278   

Anyone related to me?   

Linda Joan Trestrail
Trestrail  - My maiden name -  My Father's side from Hayle
Knight -
Tremlett
Hosking
Powning
Freethy
Matthews
Jenkin
Woolcock
Crocker
Robertson
Holman
Hichens
Badge
Goldsack
Curtis
Uren  - My Mother's side from Cambourne/Gwinear/Wendron/Helston
Gill
Penpraze
Trewin
Hendra
Secombe
Symonds
Edwards
Hocking

Offline Kathleen2612

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 01 April 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I noticed that the surname WOOLCOCK is among your list of ancestors. My paternal grandfather was Alfred Woolcock of Hayle b. 1910. Wondering if you have any info to share on that family?
Thanks,
Kathleen