Author Topic: Sullivan's/McDonnell's of Kerry  (Read 6711 times)

Offline mknebraska

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sullivan's/McDonnell's of Kerry
« on: Saturday 12 June 10 18:26 BST (UK) »
Patrick Sullivan married Margaret McDonnell of Ballyferritor on May 4,1872.  His mother was Mary Fitzgerald and I think Patrick was his father's name.  Margaret's father was John I believe.  I know she had a sister who had already went to USA by 1872 and she had a brother, Morris, who went to USA with Patrick and Margaret.  She also had a sister Honorah, but I don't know if this was the sister who had already left to the USA or if she also went in 1872.  Patrick went first with his mother to USA after his father died in or around 1863.  He returned in 1871 to retrieve (he thought) his love, but she had already married, so he married her sister, Margaret, and they then returned to USA after their marriage in 1872. 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Sullivan's/McDonnell's of Kerry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 June 10 19:40 BST (UK) »
The place to start is with the 1872 marriage you mentioned to confirm Patrick's father's name and other details. See : Introduction to Irish Records

Many parish records for Kerry are available (free) online at : http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/  (more are due to be added soon)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline mknebraska

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 June 10 21:09 BST (UK) »
I did that.  But it lists no names of the parents of either one.  And I can't find the baptisimal records for either.  No dates match up with mine.  Thanks for the hint though.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 June 10 21:11 BST (UK) »
not sure what you mean .... did the marriage cert not have father's names and occupations ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline mknebraska

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 June 10 21:17 BST (UK) »
That's correct.  It didn't list the father or mother of either the bride or the groom or the occupation.  Unless I am looking at it wrong.  All I seen on it was the both the bride and groom's name, one witness, who was John McDonnell and the presiding priests name.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 June 10 21:21 BST (UK) »
It doesn't sound like a civil cert ... see this topic for the details that will be included on a civil marriage cert

Occupations of groom and sometimes bride, father's names and occupation should be included. Mother's names are not included on civil certs.

did you find this marriage on the IrishGenealogy website ? 
They are parish records which can be less detailed...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 June 10 21:34 BST (UK) »
sorry.. I should have explained that better...

I should have specified that it was a Civil marriage cert I was referring to in the first response. I know see that the marriage details you are probably referring to are from the online parish record - Marriage of Patrick Sulliivan and Margaret McDonnell 4 May 1872

A civil cert should fill in a few a of the blanks such as occupations, father's names, residences of the bride and groom etc

I'll see if I can find the references on the Civil Index you need to order a cert.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline mknebraska

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 June 10 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Yes you are right. It was a parish record.
Thank you for your help.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 June 10 21:45 BST (UK) »
There's quite a few Patrick Sullivan marriages in Kerry in 1872, but just one in the registration district that contains Ballyferitter. There's also a probable cross match top an entry for Margaret :

Name: Patrick Sullivan
 Registration District: Dingle
 Event Type: Marriage
 Registration Year: 1872
 Volume : 10 / page : 137

Name: Margaret M'Donnell
 [same index details]

Note - cross matches on the Index are not 100% guaranteed, but these two records fit all the known parish details, so seems very likely.

See the details in the introduction topic mentioned earlier for information on ordering certs, and the details included etc

Shane

My Surname Interests