Author Topic: Nowell family of Dewsbury look up request  (Read 3166 times)

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Nowell family of Dewsbury look up request
« on: Sunday 13 June 10 00:25 BST (UK) »
I live in the US and (sorry about the game today!) need some help.

Joseph and Jacob Nowell both baptised 20 June 1813 at High Chapel Townend-Wesleyan, Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England. I would like to see if the entry gives the actual DOB and their father Isaac's occupation.

In addition, I would love the same info for John and Susannah Nowell, both baptised 19 Feb 1809 Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England.

Many thanks in advance,

Geoff in very wet western Massachusetts.
Ashworth(Manchester), Scrouther(Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire), Brereton(Cheshire), Wargen(Hereford), Whatmough(Manchester), Killen(Wolverhampton+Leeds), Clayton(Oswaldtwistle), Cummings(Fife), Onley(Durham), Massey(Salford), Charters(Berwick), Parry(Shropshire), Brown(Berwick), Loscombe(Bristol), Wright(Somerset),Tyler(Hereford), Andrews(Fownhope, Hereford), Morris(Manchester), Hinchliffe(Sheffield), Nowell(Yorkshire).

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nowell family of Dewsbury look up request
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 June 10 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

The baptisms at the Wesleyan Chapel :

Jacob, the son of Isaac Nowell, and of Mary his wife , was born December 27th 1810, baptised June 20th 1813, in the Parish of Dewsbury. By Thomas Hewitt.

Jacob, the son of Isaac Nowell, and of Mary his wife , was born January 16th 1813, baptised June 20th 1813, in the Parish of Dewsbury. By Thomas Hewitt.

Don't have the baptisms at Dewsbury Anglican Church, sorry.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 June 10 12:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, Alan. Greatly appreciated.

Geoff
Ashworth(Manchester), Scrouther(Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire), Brereton(Cheshire), Wargen(Hereford), Whatmough(Manchester), Killen(Wolverhampton+Leeds), Clayton(Oswaldtwistle), Cummings(Fife), Onley(Durham), Massey(Salford), Charters(Berwick), Parry(Shropshire), Brown(Berwick), Loscombe(Bristol), Wright(Somerset),Tyler(Hereford), Andrews(Fownhope, Hereford), Morris(Manchester), Hinchliffe(Sheffield), Nowell(Yorkshire).

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 June 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
OOps, before I get carried away. Alan, you have them both as Jacob. One of them was Joseph, surely?

Geoff again

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 June 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
Yes sorry, cut & paste mistake. Second one is Joseph.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 18:59 BST (UK) »
Pretty please!!!!! Some nice kind person near the anglican records? John Nowell, baptised 19 Feb 1809 in Dewsbury?

I promise to defend Rob Green, hope Yorkshire beat Lancashire at cricket, and drink Timothy Taylor's.

Honest!

Desperate for info here in the USA,
Geoff

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff

I checked in the library for you today for John and Susannah's baptism.

They were baptised at All Hallows Parish Church, Dewsbury on 19 Feb 1809, children of Isaac and Mary. 

John's date of birth was given as 29 August 1806 but there was no dob for Susannah :(

I expect you to be supporting England on Friday now - and I'm sure you'll have an England flag flying outside your house!

Best wishes
Sandra

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 12:33 BST (UK) »
Sandra, you are the best!!! Thanks so much. John, I believe, was my 3xgreat grandfather who worked with the other Nowell stonemason family on some of the famous railway constructions, although he was not one of the famous (and much richer) members.

The DOB fits perfectly with my hypothesis. I bet Susannah was new born.

Thanks again, and "come on England!"

Geoff

Offline Natalie jane

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
Looking for descendents of the Nowell family from Dewsbury of the railways and stone masons ect.. my mother has just had someone complete our family ancestry back to 1714 on my grandmothers side, we got quite a shock today lol, my grandmothers name was alice and she was one of 13 and her father was thomas and his father was james. I have the complete family history and the gentleman who did it said it was one of the most interesting family he had re searched. Many thanks Nat