Author Topic: Family of Rev John Howson (1787-1859)  (Read 6035 times)

Offline Alanex

• RootsChat Extra
  • James-Scotland
    • View Profile
Family of Rev John Howson (1787-1859)
« on: Sunday 13 June 10 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm trying to find living descendants of Rev. John Howson of Giggleswick.

It's alleged that my gr-gr-gr grandfather Thomas Howson is the son of Rev. John Howson. According to various documents and websites, Thomas Howson supposedly died in Jamaica. There are a few problems with this. Firstly, in 1836 he was at Trinity College and he emigrated to St Catherines, Jamaica on 19 Oct 1837. Yet, the headstone for Rev. John Howson states Thomas died in 1834?

Various stories in my family involve parents, grand parents and uncles who referred to our Thomas Howson as the "Yorkshire man". There's also a claim that a young Jamaican girl arrived in a Lanarkshire village (at my gr gr grandfathers land) in 1909, looking for her grandfather Thomas Howson. It's apparently documented in a local newspaper, although I haven't searched for that yet. The claims say he left Jamaica and sneaked back to stay with his uncle William Howson in New Monkland, Scotland to avoid some kind of crime in Yorkshire. This crime is allegedly the same reason he left Yorkshire and went to Jamaica. The William Howson (who married Ann Hamilton) was born in England according to a 1841 Census and these are the parents referred to on Thomas' Death Certificate. However, there doesn't appear to be a New Monkland birth record for Thomas, who was born around 1819/20.

I'm basically looking for any info I can get about Thomas, William (m. Ann Hamilton) and possibly a Richard Howson (lived next door to William in 1841 Census, also born England). Both William and Richard were Weavers. Anything to confirm Rev. John's son Thomas committed a crime, rumours of him not dying or anything similar.
There's also a story that after the death of Reverend John Saul Howson, one of his sons (also a Reverend) tracked down the family of Thomas to the Lanarkshire village and gave them money to build a house for their mother (wife of Thomas). Thomas died in a poorhouse hospital, so the family had no money at the time, and yet a few years later they bought a large piece of land and built houses on the land for the family.

Very tricky to prove or disprove, so I need all the help I can get!!

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Scotland: Bell, Bond, Doig, Hogg, Houston, Howson, James, Melville, Murdoch, Paton, Pennycook, Smillie/Smellie, Strain, White
England: James
Wales: James
Ireland: Hogg, Murdoch
USA: Melville, White
Australia: Houston, Howson
Canada: Houston, Pennycook

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Rev John Howson (1787-1859)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 June 10 21:30 BST (UK) »
John Saul Howson appears in Crockfords Clerical Directory for 1865.  Address Dingle Bank, Liverpool.  He graduated from Trinity College Cambridge in 1837.  He seems to have been quite a prolific author  of Essays and Sermons.
Googling him brings up a lot of entries.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Saul_Howson
How does he fit into a family of weavers though??
Andrea

Offline Alanex

• RootsChat Extra
  • James-Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 June 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Well, that's what I'm trying to prove or disprove.

Although John Saul Howson's father was a Reverend, his brothers were Justice of the Peace, School master, Engineer, Lecturer and another Engineer.
Also, although William was a Weaver in the Census, his Death Certificate stated he was a 'Manufacturers Agent for Weavers'. Finally, and perhaps more significant, William had a son Reverend John H Howson.

So it's quite possible that there is still a connection there. I'm just trying to prove it one way or the other.

Alan
Scotland: Bell, Bond, Doig, Hogg, Houston, Howson, James, Melville, Murdoch, Paton, Pennycook, Smillie/Smellie, Strain, White

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 June 10 08:23 BST (UK) »
If they were as affluent as they sound they will have left wills.  Those are very useful for discovering family relationships.  Post 1858 they are all held at the central probate office in Holborn, London or they can be ordered from the probate office in York.  Before that wills were proved in the appropriate consistory church court.  Those of the Canterbury one are online.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/   Try putting Howson in the search box.   There is at least one Giggleswick reference.
Andrea

Offline Alanex

• RootsChat Extra
  • James-Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 June 10 15:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks!
I'll look into that :)

Alan

Offline Alanex

• RootsChat Extra
  • James-Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 June 10 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Just wondering how I would go about finding John Saul Howsons last place of residence at the time of his death?

I know he died 15th December 1885 in Bournemouth, but apparently I need the address of his last residence. I haven't looked at English BMD records yet, is there a service similar to ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk?

thanks again,
Alan

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 June 10 17:12 BST (UK) »
www.freebmd.org.uk will give you the place of registration, year, quarter and reference number but you have to order the certificate from the GRO to get any further information.  They have just gone up and cost £9.25 each.
Is it for a will search that you need last residence?      The entry on freebmd says he died in Christchurch district.  I see his wife died soon after and there is an entry for Mary Howson in Chester in March 1886.   I wonder if he was on holiday in Bournemouth and they were still living in Chester?  That seems a possible scenario as he is buried there.
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 June 10 17:17 BST (UK) »
Another thought.  I see he was involved with the King's School, Chester.  If he was a benefactor their archivist should be able to help you and may even have a copy of his will.
http://www.kingschester.co.uk/new/history.html
Andrea

Offline Alanex

• RootsChat Extra
  • James-Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 June 10 20:14 BST (UK) »
Andrea,

I'll try King's School first and see how I get on.
Thanks yet again!

Alan