Author Topic: Date of death for Andrew Moir  (Read 14760 times)

Offline Lochnagar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Date of death for Andrew Moir
« on: Sunday 13 June 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
I am searching for a date of death for Andrew Moir. I know he was born in Fasque, Fettercairn in 1794; married Mary Christie on 16 Dec 1820 in Fordoun (?). Mary died on 18 April 1882, and according to her death certificate her husband pre-deceased her. They appear on the 1841 census in Fordoun and ages etc match. so he must have died sometime between 1841 and 1882, but I cannot find any match for him on Scotlands People. Any suggestions?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Date of death for Andrew Moir
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 10 00:04 BST (UK) »
hi Lochnagar  :)

looks like andrew moir died before the 1851 census(freeCEN)

wardhead fordoun kincardineshire
mary moire 52 widow pauper, formerly farm servant born kirriemuir angus
george moire 29 son b. fordoun
isobell moire 19 daug. b. fordoun
james moire 15 son b. fordoun
alexander moire 10 son b. fordoun

ev

ps there is also an archibald moir age 14 farm servant at loanhead fordoun in
     the 1851 census

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Lochnagar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 June 10 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi ev thank you for that, no wonder I could not find them if they were down as Moire. Strangely enough I did find Archibald, but I've since tried SP again for Mary and the rest and nothing comes up. I'd forgottten about Freecen; but I've since had a look under Moire. That must be a mistake in the enumerating, the family were never known under that spelling. So Andrew died sometime between 1841 and 1851? I've tried SP with that assumption in mind but so far nothing has turned up there. I'll see if the IGI comes up with anything. Thanks again.

Offline alisonchristie

• I am sorry but my emails are no loner working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 October 10 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hello
I saw your question re Andrew Moir's death. O don't have any info on his death but  I have a copy of Mary Moir's death cert, I am doing the Christie line and have come to a full stop. A child in another family was named after one of Mary and Andrew's children, (Robert Moir, I think), I thought that Mary may have been a sister of William Christie, however her father was called John.  If you have any further info on her line I would be grateful to know about it.

Incidentally, I used FreeCen for ages, and only had AVG virus protection I ended up with a virus on my computer and now have Norton 2010; it has detected threats on that site----- users beware!

Offline Lochnagar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 October 10 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison, yes I have Mary's death certificate from Scotland's People, but apart from the info that her parents were John Christie and Jean Duncan, I have got no further back than that. I've tried looking for a pre 1855 marriage for them but no luck. As for Andrew, it was most inconsiderate of him to die before 1855!! As for any more info if I come across anything I'll let you know.
Thanks for the warning about FreeCen

Offline alisonchristie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 October 10 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Lochnagar

I don't know if you are intending to go further with the Christie line- if you are, this may be of some slight help; one of David Christie and Mary Cobb's daughters, Euphemia, married a James Belford, one of their children was named after John and Mary's children.  A later David Christie, married I think to Ann Annandale (great name!), had a son called James Cobb Christie; I found out that this David was the son of Francis Christie; again I thought that Francis may have been a brother of William, however, I have Francis's death cert, and his father was Thomas, his grandson didn't know the name of Francis's wife.  I'm pretty sure that they are all linked together somehow.  You can pick up some clues with the generation who began using surnames.

When doing my Berwickshire family history, I typed in 'Cranshaws local history' and in amongst the rivetting info which came up was something I hadn't seen before; it was records of people who paid taxes for owning horses.  I looked at Benholm and Bervie but didn't see any relating to my own records, but there were Christie names, and obviously plenty of others. Have a look yourself.

I was advised to go to West Register House for info re Non Conformists etc, as they often did not have info registered with everyone else and it was kept seperately, it was a waste of time, the Benhom records only go back to 1922.

I have been in touch with 2 people connected to this same generation of the family and who cannot go any further back. Have you visited the North East Family History Society in Aberdeen? 

I might add, that when I used to use FreeCen a lot, I got into the habit of clicking on the next door neighbours both sides; and moving up the street, you wouldn't believe the number of people who lived next door to their Granny, cousin etc.  As I also do family who lived in the Royal Mile in the closes, I went up the Lawn Market up to the Castle and back down, I came across the Poor House, or House of Refuge; there were more than one of them and they were a real eye opener.

Offline alisonchristie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 October 10 21:39 BST (UK) »
PS, Lochnagar,
Look up the whereabouts of the various children, the elderly parents always seemed to end up staying with one of them., or even the grandchildren.

Offline Lochnagar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ref the Christies
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison, thanks for the info, are these people further back from John Christie and Jean Duncan who must have been born sometime in the 1770's? Perhaps they are forward from that. I'm primarily interested in the Christies from 1790 back, so if you have any info of the two I've mentioned, I'd be grateful. That's a good tip though for finding the parents, I thought  that I could track down my
gt gt grandfather's mother that way but she seems to have disappeared, but hey that's another story. It sounds as if you are pretty well set up in your investigations. I visit the NEFHS now and again, but most of what I do is on line, on a few occasions I have drawn a blank from the NEFHS, even with one of their stalwarts helping me there are no relevant documents.
Aw well onward and upward.
Cheers
Brian Young

Offline alisonchristie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian
Francis Christie was born in 1799, dying on May 4 1872. He was married to Euphemia Brand, his father was Thomas Christy, I have the address of his death as Strachan Place, (I think it was Dundee)as I said, David did not know his grandmother's name.

Francis is of an age with my ancestor David and his brothers,
I'm not sure if his father Thomas was a brother to William and to John.  There are a few Thomas's around who could be their father, but I stopped presuming anything re people's names, as they did not follow the usual pattern of naming children.  My ancestor David and his wife Mary's first child, born after one month of marriage, was called Joseph, the Grandparents being William and Jean.  No daughters were called Jean.
I did see a list somewhere on the internet re the professions of people living in Benholm, unfortunately William my ancestor is variously a farmer, roadman and general labourer. It is more useful if they were a miller, or had some sort of profession.

Have you looked up the Angus History Society? I've looked at it a few times to see if anyone else was researching the same names. (They weren't).
It occurred to me earlier, too, that you might want to check on Andrew's name being spelt Muir, or even Moore, I have many relatives having their names mispelt as Price (Bryce), Milne, (Mill) Kingcorn (Kinghorn) Mackay (McKay) etc.
Someone also advised if they owned any land, to look at the land registary records.
There may be a Duncan family history society, I have looked at a few Christie ones, but they seem to be mainly for Americans and the name was common around the Mearns.  I joined the Kemlo Users group which has now ceased, due to the moderator passing away, there were people there who had info on every Kemlo living, unfortunately my own relative Jean, again must have come from a poor family with no record of her birth or marriage.
I hope this info might be of some use.

PS, You should try researching Great Grandparents, named John and Ann Smith!