Author Topic: glendinning  (Read 11751 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: glendinning
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 December 16 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

As mentioned here, Jemima Ann's parents, William and Jemima, do not look to have officially married so the children's births were registered under the mother's maiden name of Kelby/ie.

As you saw, there were details above for Jemima Jnr's birth in 1881. This is how it shows on SP if you want to view and download the image:

Jemima Ann Glen KELBY 1881 - ref 237/B 61 - Savoch

With her birth in 1881, just after the 1881 census, you then have her here in both 1891 and 1901.

1891 census

William Glendining 49 Basket maker born Peterhead
Jemima Glendining 49
Agnes Glendining 17
Georgeina Glendining 14
Joan Glendining 11
Jemima Glendining 9

Address: Woods Tourhill in a Tent, Savoch Aberdeenshire

1901 census

William Glendinning 59  Pedlar Dealer In Harn Ware born Peterhead
Jemima Glendinning 59
Joan Glendinning 22
Jemina Glendinning 19

Address: West End Street, Fochabers, Moray

You have her marriage in 1902 from what you say. Have you tried finding her and husband James and family in 1911? That would be your next step if you have done so already.

Possible death for Jemima at the age of 59 in 1940 in Mortlach. There are references to this death on SP under either Glendinning or Stewart.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 02 December 16 22:35 GMT (UK) »
There is another connected family post here with more details on the various family members www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=513747.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 03 December 16 00:20 GMT (UK) »
The census records consistently give his place of birth as Peterhead but you say he was born Laggan, do you have evidence of his birthplace?
If they were travellers, he could have been born in Peterhead and baptised later, when the family were in Kilmonivaig.

What, exactly, does his baptism record actually say?

Incidentally this is a classic case of when you need to note which parish an event occurred in. I see that the baptism was recorded in the parish of Kilmonivaig, which is in Lochaber, not in the neighbouring parish of Laggan, which is in Badenoch, so the Laggan in question is likely to be the one at the north end of Loch Lochy, where the Caledonian Canal passes through Laggan Locks on its way north to Inverness, rather than the better known Laggan between Newtonmore and Loch Laggan. It is the latter that mostly comes up if you search online for 'Laggan'.

See http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.0346&lon=-4.8132&layers=5&b=1 - this is the Laggan in the parish of Kilmonivaig, Inverness-shire
and http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.0181&lon=-4.2835&layers=5&b=1 which is the Laggan in the parish of Laggan, Inverness-shire

There are other Laggans in other parishes in other counties too.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 03 December 16 00:23 GMT (UK) »
As mentioned here, Jemima Ann's parents, William and Jemima, do not look to have officially married so the children's births were registered under the mother's maiden name of Kelby/ie.
The ones whose birth certificates William signed should be indexed under both surnames, but he apparently didn't sign Jemima Jr's one (see above), so it will be indexed only under her mother's surname.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 03 December 16 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Just out of sheer curiosity
1881: birth of Jemima Ann Glen... Kelbie, Savoch
1886: marriage of Jemima Kelbie to William McPhee, Dallas
1903: birth of Jemima Kelbie, Bellie
1918: death of Jemima Kelbie, aged 15, Edinburgh St Giles
1917: death of Jemima Kelbie or McPhee, aged 47, Perth
1922: death of Jemima Kelbie or Glendinning, aged 81, Elgin
1967: birth of Jemima Kelbie, Kirkcaldy
1989: death of Jemima McArthur Kelbie, aged 82, Polmont

Offline neilstewart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 27 July 17 23:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica,

I havent been on here for ages, and have just noticed that you had got back to me.
Since my last post, I have found the 1911 census and from that found my grandfather, James Stewart's birth date and place.
He was born 27th Oct 1871 in Drumblade, Aberdeenshire and baptised in Strichen 14th Nov 1871. The son of travellers too, Donald and Maggie Stewart.
I also found Jemima on Scotlands people, Jemima Ann Glendinning Kelby, Savoch, 11th Sept 1881.

1911 James and Jemima were living in Bellie, Fochabers.
1915 they were living in Beachans, Edinkillie and they were at least there untill 1923, but likely longer.
Jemima did die at Backhill Mortlach in 1940. The family had a farm/croft at Kininvie.

Now I just need to find out when they moved there and when James died.
This is a bit of a mystery so far.
Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
Neil

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 28 July 17 09:12 BST (UK) »

Offline dottie43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 10 August 17 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil
Sorry for not replying before but I have just noticed your post.
I see that your James is the son of Donald & Margaret Stewart, my Donald is also the son of a Donald & Margaret Stewart, do you think these could be brothers?
I don't know the parents of this two, do you?
Dottie

Offline neilstewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 12 August 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Dottie,

If your Donald is Donald Stewart born in Cairney on 31st March 1874, married to Georgina Glendinning then, yes I believe they Donald and James were brothers, and that they also married Glendinning sisters Jemima and Georgina.

I see there is a Hazel (HazelAberdeen) on here who is Georgina's granddaughter.

How are you related to Donald?
I am a grandson of James.

I have to admit, I know nothing personally about my grandfather and grandmother though.
Just a few snippets I heard from my father.

Digging around in Ancestry, it looks like Donald's parents (Donald and Margaret that is) could be James Stewart and Margaret Whyte. Also Margaret's parents could be another James Stewart and Mary Stewart.

Neil