Author Topic: Marriage look up please or any info  (Read 4017 times)

Offline elimag800

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage look up please or any info
« on: Sunday 13 June 10 23:30 BST (UK) »
Looking for & have been looking for years for the marriage of my Great x3 Grandfather John Fury and his marriage to Mary Durkin I think in the Sligo area .
I have them in the 1851 census in the UK under the name John Farg born c 1821 Bollington Ireland no idea where that is ? Wife Mary born c 1816 Sligo
4 children born in Sligo Thomas, Patrick  Bridget & Mary other 3 children born in Caistor Lincolnshire , I presume they came over to the UK 1847-48 as I have the birth certificate for there daughter Catherine 1848 Caistor.
Any info much appreciated , also the whereabouts of the son Patrick after the 1851 census Patrick aged 11 on the census dissapears !
Thank you
Elaine
Holland-nottinghamshire/London
Fury-Sligo/Lincolnshire
Felstead/Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire
Seymour/Seymore-Warwickshire/France

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • miska moo samoyed and holly hunter cocker
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look up please or any info
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 10 02:20 BST (UK) »
theres a possible match mary durcan and john fury 1841 marriage
http://sligo.brsgenealogy.com/ free to search 5 euros to buy you can search for there childrens births .
the record will be a typed up copy of the entry in church register usually gives addresses fathers names occupations etc etc
ive bought several records for limerick only 3 were of use , an educated guess !

added . lookin at census bollington ? do any of the other census returns say hes from sligo ?
 census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 June 10 08:24 BST (UK) »
It looks more like Bally___ rather than Bollington (the descending letter is in the wrong place for Bollington but it does look like the 5th letter is the one that goes below the line). However, many, many places in Sligo (and the rest of Ireland) begin with 'bally' whch means town in Irish.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline elimag800

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 June 10 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Obbie
Thank you for your message .
I have around 28 documents I bought from the Sligo.brsgenealogy site , I started in Sligo then went towards Mayo as I wasn't sure if maybe the borders moved over the years as Durkins seem to be from the mayo area then tried Roscommon , I failed to find any of the 4 children born in Sligo even allowing 5 years either side .
I also paid for a location search of Sligo which turned up negative , I am quite sure that Mary may not be the mother as all my Fury men seem to always be widowed to losing the first wife even up to present day , but I have not found any of the  children with John as the father & a matching mother .
The only time Sligo was mentioned was the 1851 census quoted & 1881 census for Thomas Fury living in Nottinghamshire the rest of the census just say Ireland & as you pointed out John was from Bollington not Sligo although Mary was from Sligo allegedly , I gave up on the marriage .
The only fact I do know is they were Roman Catholic & on Catherine Fury's birth certificate it states mothers maiden name Durkin/Durcan 1847 caistor Lincs and on Mary's death certificate in 1866 she used Durkin as her middle name , It's been like pulling teeth trying to trace my mothers family , even my mother's father Clifford Fury who married for the second time in 1936 the marriage is transcribed as Clifford Terry , I thought the name would be easy !!!
Regards Elaine
Holland-nottinghamshire/London
Fury-Sligo/Lincolnshire
Felstead/Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire
Seymour/Seymore-Warwickshire/France

Offline JIMJGILROY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,
Your FURY search caught my eye, sorry you seemed to hit a bit of a wall in Sligo.
Just wondering if you came across a Bartholomew Fury in your Sligo research.
He was married to my great great grandmother Mary Flaherty. The townlands
are Correagh and Cartronhugh. Parish of Kilanummery.
Thanks