Author Topic: St Faiths School Wolverhampton  (Read 3635 times)

Offline wordsley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Faiths School Wolverhampton
« on: Monday 14 June 10 03:00 BST (UK) »
Does anybody know of any information regarding this school, it is now the park village youth, media and activity centre.
Spittle, Stych ---- Wolverhampton and surrounds
Peach ------   Derbyshire, Staffordshire
Lockley ----- Shropshire/Wolverhampton
Trubshaw ---- Cannock
Marklew --- Lichfield

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: St Faiths School Wolverhampton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 10 18:33 BST (UK) »
It's not one I've heard of but it was across the other side of the town, as was, when I lived there.
There's a site that may be able to help below

http://lostwolverhampton.co.uk/

Also came across this while searching which mentions St.Faith's

http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/genealogy/ward/Ward02.htm

Hope that helps in your search

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 16 17:41 GMT (UK) »
A few years late but have just seen this post. Did anyone ever find out about the school? My great grandad went to the school that is now the park village media centre (about ten mins walk from me) but I wasn't aware of the schools name.
Lisa
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline wordsley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 February 16 04:07 GMT (UK) »
My late mother told me about this school, she recalled how she had to carry a gas mask at all times during WWII.
She was born in 1928 so I presume it was a secondary school.
Spittle, Stych ---- Wolverhampton and surrounds
Peach ------   Derbyshire, Staffordshire
Lockley ----- Shropshire/Wolverhampton
Trubshaw ---- Cannock
Marklew --- Lichfield

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 February 16 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Great grandad was born in 1905 so I'd assume he was at school from about 1910 to 1919 ish. I thought that in those days they stayed at the same school until 14 but maybe in your mothers time there it had changed to a senior school?
I'm amazed though that there is relatively no info on the school around.
Lisa
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline TraceyCharles

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
Information about St Faith's school, Wolverhampton.
Located on corner of Cannock Road and Park Lane, Park Village, Wolverhampton. Errected 1893 opened 1894 (foundation stone layer Oct 26th 1893)
William H Barclay was master 1895-1907
Miss E Merrifield was Infants mistress in 1900
In 1931 became an infants day school only.
Mr W Davis was master in 1930.
Miss Mary Ibbotson was Headmistress between 1950 and 1958.
It is now the Park Village Activity and Media centre.

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tracey and welcome to rootschat  :)

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 21:30 BST (UK) »
From Wolverhampton Archive's on-line catalogue:

" St Faith's Infant and a separate mixed school opened in Heath Town in 1894. In 1931 St Faith's became an infant school combining the infant departments of St Faith's and Heath Town Schools. The head of the mixed school became head of Heath Town CE Junior school which resulted from the merger of the two junior departments. The head from Heath Town Infants became head at St Faith's."

The archive holds the following documents:
Log books (infant) 1894 - 1981, (junior) 1894 - 1931
Admission registers (infant) 1926 - 1981

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline Shawn99

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hello
I'm new to this forum today.
I am also trying to find out as much as I can about St Faith's, as information on it seems to be very hard to come by.
It was my first school as an infant and I attended up until 1970 when my family moved house. I don't as yet have much about the school apart from my memories. I recall it had a waist high dark green wooden gate at its entrance, and a climbing frame at the back of the playground to the right (which was tarmac even then). The main classroom was on the far left with  desks facing the far left wall. I think the  right hand side part of the building effectively served as the hall as I remember sitting there listening to an invited speakers talking about traffic awareness (Tufty the Squirrel and the Green Cross Man).
At the time I think the Meadows factory was still open - I had to walk past its entrance every morning and back again after school.
I did find that the Wolves archives has some basic records but only in paper form so I will need to wait til this lockdown period ends before I can check them out. As  dig up any more info I will post it here.
By the way I tried the couple of links Tony posted on this page but unfortunately they seem to be broken :)