Author Topic: Pursey and Rilance  (Read 6049 times)

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pursey and Rilance
« on: Monday 14 June 10 04:50 BST (UK) »
Am trying to find information on 2 families. One is George Gallop Pursey who married Murray Lotta Henderson, and lived in the Toronto, Ontario area. George came from England, and Murray from Scotland. the other family is Richard Rilance and Mary Ann nee Pursey. Mary Ann was George's sister, They lived in Laxton area. He was a farmer.
Do hope someone can help me. Pialba, [Bev

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Pursey and Rilance
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 10 05:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev,  :)

Can you give us some time frame- dates etc please?

Also, is Laxton in Ontario?

charlotte

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 June 10 05:24 BST (UK) »
Dear Charlotte,
Thank you for replying so quickly. George and Murray married about 1859, and their children were Annie born 1863,Francis [Frank] Joseph born 1864, Jean Henderson born about 1867. there was, also a Laura born 1860/61, what is throwing me a bit, is the way the names have been transcribed. George died 1919, he was a Bootmaker, Murray died1895, Laura died 1891.
Mary Ann andrichard were married about 1860/61 Their children, I think, were Laura, Maud Ida, Francis William Clara and Lena, born between 1863 and 1877.
Hope this is of some help. they seemed to be in the Toronto and Victoria county areas.
Bev

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 June 10 05:32 BST (UK) »
Bev,
 At the risk of asking the obvious, have you checked the Canada Board Resources to see what lookup links are there that may lead you to info?

charlotte

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 June 10 05:59 BST (UK) »
Charlotte,
No I haven't done that one. What I have gleaned is from the Ancestry Births, Marriages and Deaths for Canada, also the census. I did find a bit on FamilySearch, but am a little dubious of what is on there as I have found a lot is not correct. Is the Canadian Recourses attached to Rootschat/Web/
Bev

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 June 10 06:41 BST (UK) »
Bev,

go back to the top of this page and you'll see Canada.   Click on that and then you'll see Canada Resources... click there and it will take you to a treasure house of links ;D

Let us know if this doesn't work... never too sure about my directives :-[

charlotte

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 22:41 BST (UK) »
George and Murray Pursey
1861 census in Mariposa Township Victoria County
George Percey 30 with wife Murray B. 30 and daughter Laura 1 as well as sister Mary A. Percey 20
1871 census Toronto York County
George and wife with children Laura 10, Annie 8, Frank 7 and Jennie 4
1881 census Toronto
children are Laura E 20, Annie 18, Francis 16 and Jane 14
On the 1891 census Jane again appears as Jennie

The couple had an additional daughter. Georgina Pursey was b. Aug 16 1873 and d. Nov 1 1874 at 1 year 3 mos. from convulsions and coma lasting 10 days.  Both in Toronto.

Annie A., Pursey, 31, b. Whitby Ont. married June 15 1894 at Toronto to Thomas Wickett, MD.  Son Thomas Haldane Wickett (parents Annie Augusta Pursey and Thomas Wickett) b. 15 Dec 1896 Crediton Stephen township, Huron County.
On the 1911 census the 3 member family found living Cameron St. Hamilton Ontario.
Thomas Haldane Wickett, 29, barrister, of 22 Summerhill Ave. Toronto married Alice Maude Monk
4 Sept 1926 at Ottawa, Ont. 
Thomas joined the Canadian Expediitonary Force for WWI as a Lt. and was missing in action.  The St. Thomas-Times Journal indexing project has an entry for this but unfortunately the links are not working. 
www.collectionscanada.ca has a link to military files.
Thos Haldane Wickett travelled to the U.S. in 1941 and his border crossing shows an address of 94 Lawton Blvd Toronto
A brief entry in the Sierra magazine shows his death in Feb. 2001. 
Pages of the Past - paysite for the Toronto Star would probably give you more information on the members of this family who remained in Toronto.
http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/search.php  Annie A. Pursey and Thomas Wickett, MD. are buried White chapel Memorial Gardens.

Jane Pursey, 41, married 2 July 1908 at Davisville, North Toronto to William W. Victory, 51, widower, silver finisher.  Wit: her father resident of Davisville and Thomas Wickett resident Hamilton.

Francis Joseph Pearcy, 27 Druggist, married Susan Beale 5 Aug 1891 at Toronto.
On the 1901 census they are living with Susan's parents, Franis and Maria Beale.  ancestry has then inexed as Deacy.    Susan was born Apr 24, 1868.  Daughters Laura Gertrude b. 8 Oct 1892 and Hazel Beatrice 15 May 1894.
On the 1911 census Susan is living in Ward 2 Toronto South, 705(?) King St. E.  The surname is not distinquisable and ancestry just shows the first name.  She is living with daughters Laura and Hazel and her status is widow.  I can't find a death for Francis/Frank
Daughter Laura Gertrude, 30, married George William Jose, 39 Nov 24, 1922 Toronto
Daughter Hazel Beatrice, 28, married Frank Archivald Hamm June 24, 1924 at Toronto

Not sure where George's daughter Laura Pursey disappears to.

Debbie

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 01:42 BST (UK) »
Dear Debbie,
Thank you so much for all the information youu have sent. You are such a lifesaver. I have found there is not a great deal of Canadian information even on Ancestry, so I have to rely on wonderful people like you to help me.
Bev

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 02:06 BST (UK) »
All of the above was taken from ancestry except for the OCFA website

Richard Reliance/Rilance and Mary Ann Pursey
1871 Canadian census for Longford Township Victoria County
Richard 31, Mary Ann 29, Annie I 7, Maude A 3, Ide 3 and Francis W. 3 mos b. Nov.
1881 Canadian census for Digby, Laxton and Longford Twsp Victoria County
parents with children Laura 18 (later on birth records for her children show her name as Annie Laura)
Maud 15, Ida 13, Francis 10, Clara 6, Lena 3
1891 Canadian census for Thorah Township - Ribarine surname
parents with children Ida 22, Francis W 20, Clara 16, Lena 13
1901 Canadian census Thorah Township, North Ontario County
parents with W. Francis 30, L. Clara 26, M. Lena 23

The only birth registrations for this couple were for Clara 29 Dec 1874 Digby Township
Mary Alvina 30 Nov 1877 Digby Township - I would assume that this is the Lena from the census.

Richard Realance of mariposa, 22, s/o William and Jane married 28 Sept 1861 at Mariposa Township to Margaret Perry, 19, b. England d/o Francis and Ann - no image available for this but I would think it's your couple.

Mary Ann Reliance d. Aug 5 1904 @ 62 Beaverton Ontario w/o Richard
Richard Reliance d Sept 11 1908 @ 69 at Beaverton.  B. Smith Falls, Ontario.  Frank W. Reliaance informant.

Debbie