Author Topic: carrick's in dublin  (Read 5029 times)

Offline babzi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
carrick's in dublin
« on: Monday 14 June 10 22:35 BST (UK) »
I am looking for relatives who were living in Dublin last between 1881 and 1898. The father was Andrew Carrick born to John Carrick and Ellen. Andrew married in 1868 to Lillie Jane Tickell and had 4 children. Two were named Mary Adelaide Carrick and Lillie Carrick. The other two had no names on the birth record of 1872 and 1875 one female and male. Maybe they died?

I know Lillie immig to US and marries there to a Mr Smith and dies in Bexar 1924. Mary Adelaide goes to US and then settles in UK I believe. But I can't find what happened the the father Andrew Carrick. He is in the Irish directories in 1881 but then disappears. I haven't found a death record for him either or an immigration record.

He was living in 2 Clonliffe Tce East, Clonliffe road in 1881 as a Traveller.

Can anyone help with further info of where I might find out what happened to him.
Irish Scottish
Carrick Boyd Cooper McAuley Dun

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: carrick's in dublin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 02:54 BST (UK) »
Babzi
From the Irish Times John MacCaully Carrick died sometime between December 1859 and December 1862.
Andrew,his son married (see edition  23rd October 1868)  and on 29th December 1869 the paper records the sudden death of Andrew Carrick (a son of Andrew?) On 7th March1871 Page 6 in an advert. the paper records the bankruptcy of Andrew Carrick.
After that the family disappear off my "screen"

Regards     Quaxer

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 12:46 BST (UK) »
I have quite a few Carrick connections but they all date to approx 1790-1860 and almost all are located in the Kilbarrack, Sutton, Baldoyle, Howth area.

If you can link back to that time and place I would like to hear from you.

Dara.

Offline Hohenloh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 September 10 22:54 BST (UK) »
The Andrew Carrick who died in 1869 was not the son of John MacCaully Carrick, because the son of John MacCaully Carrick had several children. Must have been another Andrew...

Offline babzi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 September 10 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Quaxer,

Yes the newspaper reported Andrew Carrick died in the Jervis st hospital but a retraction was made the next day in the Dublin Freemans Journel. It was an employee of his.

I have never found out what happened to the real Andrew Carrick. I have traced his children to the US where they migrated in late 1800's but no trace of Andrew dying in Ireland or moving away.

It is a mystery.
Babzi
Irish Scottish

Offline madielady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Possible new info:
Andrew & Lillie Carrick's children included Mary Adelaide Carrick (1870-1946) who married Frank Cooper, lived in Houston Texas after immigrating to US in 1882.  They had 4 children.  When she was widowed, her brother John Frederick (Jack) Carrick (1872-1942) assumed the father's position, helping raise her children and never marrying himself.  They are both buried in Hollywood cemetary in Houston.

Lily's middle name may be Agnes (1875-1924)...

Would love to have information about their beginnings in Ireland and if they originally came from Carrick, Scotland.... Thanks....

Offline babzi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have heaps of information on Andrew and Lily but am a bit pressed for time now. I will post the info as soon as I get a chance. What connection do you have to the family? I have been trying to find relatives of this last line of the Carricks for many years.
cheers
Irish Scottish

Offline madielady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I'm part of the Houston branch of the family tree.  Going back from Andrew, I keep hitting a brick wall at the Dun family.  I've looked for other family members which could open a back door to this area, but haven't found one yet.  How are you connected?

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Just marking this on the off chance one of you ends up linking up with my lot in Scotland. 

Regards
Ann