Author Topic: carrick's in dublin  (Read 5027 times)

Offline madielady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: carrick's in dublin
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Strangely enough, while documenting a completely separate part of my family tree, I came across a mention of Carricks from Scotland..hence, my question...I'll try to find it again...

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys,

you probably already have this info but I will post it just in case :

LILY AGNES CARRICK 
16 November 1875 
MALAHIDE RD 
PARENTS ANDREW CARRICK AND JANE LILY

JOHN FREDERICK CARRICK 
20 May 1872 
SANDYMOUNT 

MARY ADELAIDE CARRICK 
12 January 1870 
MARY'S ABBEY 

In 1868 Witness Andrew Carrick at the wedding of Samuel Tickell to Margaret Fahey - I presume Samuel was a sibling of Jane (father Thomas Tickell)

In 1882 there are ship records for ship name 'QUEBEC' for the following travelling to New Orleans, Louisiana

Andrew Carrick age 41
Mary Carrick age 11
John Carrick age 9
Lilly Carrick age 4

also travelling with them is what looks like a brother of Andrew

John Carrick age 47
Emelia Carrick age 46 (John's wife  or sister ?)

Was Jane Tickell's father a Cabinet Maker and Timber Merchant ?

If so there is a sister of her's getting married : Sophia Tickell to Henry Pardy in 1871 in St. Thomas' Church Dublin, and there are also some more siblings of her's available online.

If you think this is the right family then Mary / Maria Quinn is her mother's name !

Tara

Offline babzi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tara and Madielady,

Well you have given me the info I have been looking for with the shipping records for andrew and his children.
I could not find that anywhere and I knew he must have sailed with his children.

I did not know of a brother John Carrick but I did know or Emelia or (Amelia) his sister. There was a court case in 1868 where their mother Ellen Carrick was disputing the will and estate of her husband John Macauley Carrick after he died and the children were mentioned in this petition. There was no mention of John Carrick so I am wondering if he could be a cousin?

Andrew Carrick tried to carry on the Glass business but was bankrupted by 1871 and the whole business lost. He worked for a while as a salesman and commercial traveller but disappeared off the directies in 1882.
He married Lillie Jane Tickell in 1868 but she died in 1877 aged 29yrs leaving him with 3 small children.
I wondered why he left and went to New Orleans?  He had his mother still in Ireland, she didn't die until 1885, his sister Jane (my great great grandmother) was widowed in 1875 with teenaged children. Possibly things were difficult and they decided to move away.

RE the Dun connection.

John Macauley Carrick's father was Alexander Carrick mother Jean Macauley, Alexander's mother was Isabella Dun married to Rev James Carrick, Isabella's father was the Rev Alexander Dun b. 1719 wife Elizabeth, his father was Alexander Dinn (spelt this way then) c. 1676 and mother Joanetta McAlister c. 1676.
I didn't go back any further as my search was really about the Carricks, Boyds and Macauley's.

Do either of you know what happened to Andrew Carrick? I'd love to know more. And what of the John and Amelia Carrick what happened to them?

Babzi
Irish Scottish
Carrick Boyd Cooper McAuley Dun

Offline madielady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,
Mary Adelaide Carrick Cooper was my great grandmother.  I apprciate the added info....ship name, father's occupation, Aunt Amelia...will see if I can find anything stateside about her and/or John....and Andrew's fate...
Let me know if I can be of help.
Madielady

Offline Shamrock1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 July 13 00:26 BST (UK) »
I am following Pardy family, but interested in Tickell connect info as well. New info or corrections welcome! Some info I have:
* Sophia Tickell married Henry Pardy (widower) Jul 4, 1871 at St.. Thomas Church, Parish of St. Thomas, Dublin - Church of ireland.
* They moved to Limerick, where he lived. They had at least one son George Tickell Pardy b:Nov 20, 1872 Limerick
* I suspect Henry Pardy  was related to a Monkstown Pardy family which was the Limerick / Dublin connection.
* I found a Joseph Tickell on Carysfort Ave in Monkstown in Griffiths Valuation ca 1848
* I have Sophia as daughter of Thomas N Tickell, Timber merchant

Offline gules

• RootsChat Extra
  • Arms of Michael Dun
    • View Profile
Re: carrick's in dublin - Andrew Carrick
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 November 17 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Carrick son of Isobel Dun and the Rev James Carrick became a surgeon in the Royal navy -if of interest and more on Dun family please contact me editor[at]Dun.org.uk
Best wishes,

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @
Dun
War of 1812: Listing some 15,000 British Pows, many off British ships,  held in US along with American Pows held in UK
www.1812privateers.org