Author Topic: Joseph Soames (Exiles Ship ) 1847  (Read 36146 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Soames (Exiles Ship ) 1847
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maggie,

James Macarty was not a "Parkhurst Boy" but transported from Millbank Prison on the Joseph Somes as an "Exile".    On arrival at Geelong he was initially employed by Robert Sutherland of Native Creek.

You mention that he was in the 1851 England Census.  This may not be the same person.   He was sentenced to 7 years transportation on 09/01/1846 and would not have completed his servitude until 09/01/1853, unless of course he had received a full pardon or was illegally at large in England having absconded from down under.

Hope this is helpful.

Tony

Offline TaniaMatthews

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Thank you, I have been in contact with Phil he is my cousin by marriage.  I actually live in the the next town from them.  Small world.  We will go through our info and anything I can add will forward onto you.

Kind regards,
Tania Matthews

Offline maggiepeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken

My contact in Australia says his direct ancestor Malachi jnr came from Ballymore in Co. Westmeath, but hasn't been able to tell me where that information came from, so still needs confirmation.

We went to the UK earlier this year and spent a lot of time in the Birmingham Library searching the newspapers.  I found the article about James in the 'Birmingham Journal' dated 3 Jan 1846, page 5 in a column headed 'Birmingham Police'.  They had several accounts of villians they had caught.

The article reads as follows:-
AN EPICUREAN ROQUE - James McCarty, spoonmaker, 8 Court, John Street, was charged with stealing an apple pie, valued 2s., from the shop of John Ballenger, baker, No 50, Dale End. It appeared from the evidence, that the defendant had been in the complainant's shop about seven o'clock on Saturday night, and seeing some tempting pastry on the counter, conceived the idea of having a few of the "good things of this life," without the disagreeable necessity of expending the funds generally considered necessary to procure them. Accordingly, he returned at eleven o'clock, seized the pie in question - which was duly "served up" in court, on a tray, "knocked to smash," - and made off with it. Police Constable 339, however, witnessing his precipitate retreat, gave chase, when the defendant dropped the pie, and ran up Thomas Street - There was another charge of stealing a handkerchief, from 32 Park Street, but it was dismissed. He was, not withstanding his protestations that he was an ill-used and innocent man, sent to the sessions, to see whether a similar opinion would be entertained there.

Thanks for your offer to look up anything.  Where are you in Australia?  We have lived in New Zealand for the last 40 years.  I was born in Birmingham.

Regards
Maggie
McCarty (also known as Carter) Birmingham and Ireland . Griffin Birmingham and Gloucestershire UK.  Dainter Birmingham UK.  Gauntlett Birmingham, Devon, Herefordshire UK and Canada.

Offline maggiepeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony

Thank you so much for the information, it is really very much appreciated. 

I have researched his life extensively and after his transportation found him back in the UK in a Trade Directory in 1855, and getting married in 1856.  He joined two of his brothers in their trade as a 'Slater' and eventually had his own business with seven employees and a servant in his house.  So was delighted to see he made good.  I also found his 'will' where he left around a thousand pounds to his wife.  Quite a good amount for those days.

In a document about the Joseph Somes vessel it mentioned that most men would have been given a free pardon within four years of their arrival in Australia.  This would make it possible for James to have returned to the UK.  This is the grey area of my research and why I want to know more about his time there.  So any information will be most gratefully received. 

Thank you again.
Regards
Maggie
McCarty (also known as Carter) Birmingham and Ireland . Griffin Birmingham and Gloucestershire UK.  Dainter Birmingham UK.  Gauntlett Birmingham, Devon, Herefordshire UK and Canada.

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Maggie and Ken.
I tried to respond last night when there was an exchange of messages.Something went amiss as my message went missing.May have been a senior moment.

I have a Parkhurst Boy Thomas Knight who initially came to Geelong in 1849 on "Eden".
I have a book "Convicts of the Port Phillip District" by Keith M Clarke which also lists James Macarty(sic) and Thomas Brown coming to Geelong on "Joseph Somes" in 1847.
Both James and Thomas had been received at Millbank Prison 20 Jan 1846.No mention of Parkhurst.
Thomas Brown b1832 was sent to John Brock of Mt Macedon as a shepherd for 6 months at 20 pounds per annum.
I live fairly close to Mt Macedon and will look today in case there are any local records.
He had been taught the trade of tailor.

An earlier posting gave the disposal detais for James Macarty.He had been taught the trade of shoe maker but was sent to work for Robert Sutherland in Geelong as a general servant.

Good luck.
Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline maggiepeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rex

I have researched James so much I feel like I know him.  It's always very exciting to hear more about his life.  So thank you very much for this new information.  Any little snippets gratefully received.

Good luck with your research.

Regards
Maggie

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone confirm the following ?
The Joseph Soames set sail for the District of Port Phillip in the Colony of New South Wales, via Tasmania, with a group of teenage convicts.
On reaching Tasmania, the captain was informed that the District of Port Phillip did not accept any convicts, not even those who had served their time in other places, so called 'ticket of leave' men.
He was instructed to inform the convicts, before reaching Port Phillip, that they were pardoned (or had received some reduction of their sentences).
In the case of Thomas Brown, he later became a policeman, which is ironical.
He seems to have been dismissed fairly soon though, and became a miner.
By the way, the District of Port Phillip separated officially from the Colony of NSW and became a separate colony on 1.7.1851.
In the light of all this, it seems most likely that a convict on the J. Soames would have been free to return to England fairly soon.
Ken  

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ken
Not sure if this helps.
My reference indicates that the Joseph Somes (2) arrived Point Henry Geelong 24 Sep 1847 with 249 men having departed Spithead 4 June 1847.
Only "Royal George","Thomas Arbuthnot" and "Joseph Somes(2) went straight to Port Phillip.
Six other ships went direct to VDL where they landed those convicts who had no privileged condition and those who had been issued a Ticket of Leave prior to departure from England.Only those with a conditional pardon were carried on to Port Phillip.
? Thomas Brown was born 1832.

Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rex
It does seem unlikely that the authorities in England would have been ignorant of the rules down under.
I can't find my source for the scenario I described in my last post. I thought  the passenger/disposal lists from the J Soames mentioned a stop in Van Diemen's Land. I'll check again.
Thomas Brown stated that he was 42 when his youngest son Henry was registered in Dec. 1873, which gives his year of birth as 1831. His age is shown as 56 on his Death Cert. Aug. 1886, making it 1830.
By the way, Maggie, I live just outside Melbourne.
Ken